PDA

View Full Version : Boinc and GPU's

Brucifer
07-11-2010, 05:49 PM
So in looking around at the boinc projects that utilize gpu's I'm basically left wondering what is the most effective use of cuda and stream gpu's on projects? For instance ya gotta use the cuda 3.1 on gpugrid, but then is that project more or less stingy on points granted than say Milky Way for a supported nvidia card? And then what would that compare to like folding at home assuming a GTX-275 for instance? What's more effecient.

And looking at Milky Way, is it a waste of time using a nvidia card as opposed to a 4850 ati for instance?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around what would be the best use of a gtx-275 and a 4850 ati. For me it's a waste running a 4850 on dnetc.net when I have 57xx ati cards, which can't be used on Milky Way as no double precision. But then would Milky Way be a good use for the 4850? I've never run Milky Way and am ignorant of the project.

The other thing I get to wondering about really is that whilt the gtx-275 does a good job on folding at home, is there really anything else that it is good for that an ati card can't beat it at??????

Brucifer
07-12-2010, 12:22 AM
What a day............ all spent trying to get a gtx-275 running on milkyway. Finally did it after ending up trashing a windows installation. Anyway the gtx-275 takes better than 10 minutes per cuda work unit on milky way compared to about 3.51 minutes on an ati 4850. And the 275 eats more juice also, and puts out more heat. So I don't know what the actual comparison is between the amount of work in an ati work unit compared to the cuda work unit. But if I had another 4850 or other double precision ati gpu around here I'd trade it out. I guess it's better than nothing, or crunching with the cpu -- :-) but sad to say that on another project now, the cuda doesn't hold a candle to the ati card. Sorta brings big crocodile tears to my eyes to as that 275 cost a pretty penny when I got it compared to what I paid for the 4850's when I got them.

NeoGen
07-12-2010, 09:34 AM
So... is the best use for that gtx-275 really GPUGrid? (because you can't run ATI GPUs on it... :icon_lol:)

vaughan
07-12-2010, 11:55 AM
The other thing I get to wondering about really is that whilt the gtx-275 does a good job on folding at home, is there really anything else that it is good for that an ati card can't beat it at??????
Seti @ Home perhaps :)