PDA

View Full Version : WTS AMD Phenom II x4 940

SuicideCabbage
08-15-2010, 09:22 PM
I don't even have this chip yet, it should be arriving tomorrow from Newegg. This is an AM2+ I ordered to upgrade an old AM2 system, but over the weekend the board went bad so I am going with an AM3. Don't think I have to post every detail about it, were all AMD lovers so we know whats what. The chip is an OEM and I paid $135 for it, give me a fair price and we'll talk.

NeoGen
08-15-2010, 10:36 PM
That should be a nice chip, I haven't looked up the specs but I imagine it's a good one.

What happened to the board? Are you sure it's damaged? Sometimes one thinks they are, but they really are not... I remember a guy from a computer store saying that he got plenty of people at his store saying that their boards went bad but then he took it in, stripped it of all unnecessary stuff, just laid it on a piece of cardboard connected to the PSU, with the cpu and ram, and guess what... 9 out of 10 times they were good and working. He showed me this one time with a board me and a friend of mine thought it was fried. He said sometimes the problem is just lack of electrical isolation from the board to the metal case (hence why he just laid them on a piece of cardboard), if there is a screw or something that for some reason is driving current out of the board, the board will appear to be dead and won't work or give any kind of beep or signal.

BlackAdder
08-16-2010, 01:00 AM
I've had that cpu for about a year now and no problems. Runs great, plenty fast, not too hot with the stock cooler.

Jason1478963
08-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Is it possible the board is covered under warranty yet? I believe some of them have upgraded the warranty policy to more then one year. I was lucky enough to just have my am2+ Biostar covered under warranty as the caps were going bad. I'm glad I took pictures of the board before sending it in as it saved me from losing a board. They thought I damaged it taking it out of the case but the damage didn't show on my pictures where it was out of the case and ready for packaging.