PDA

View Full Version : Moo! Wrapper (new BOINC project)

vaughan
05-02-2011, 06:55 AM

Moo! Wrapper brings together BOINC volunteer computing network resources and the Distributed.net projects. It allows BOINC Client to participate in the RC5-72 challenge.

As usual with BWT the Founder's email address feature is not working so if anyone can join and tell them to fix this routine annoyance, go right ahead.

EDIT:
Their email server was overloaded. I've received the info now and crunching away.
CUDA and ATI clients only, no CPU clients.

liuqyn
05-02-2011, 10:51 AM
per their news posting, email is working just overloaded, so keep trying periodically.

NeoGen
05-02-2011, 01:05 PM
That is great, I have been running RC5-72 as my GPU project, now I can run it on boinc alongside the CPU projects. :)

I created account and joined the Team but will only be able to start crunching later when I get home, right now I'm at work.

Nflight
05-02-2011, 01:47 PM
I am in too, move over everyone I am coming through, ok with just one GPU I will be run over but most! But, I am making the effort! It sure is a short work unit compared to PrimeGrid but, now that i reached 5 million in Prime Grid I am glad to start something new! Woo Hoo :blob3:

vaughan
05-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Come on everyone this project has easy points. I'm already at 17k with half a day's crunching on 4 GPUs.

Nflight
05-03-2011, 10:13 AM
None of my work units are validating, I posted on the message board. Let's hope someone can figure out the problem so I can garner some points!

liuqyn
05-03-2011, 10:44 PM
you had a reply, seams your video drivers are too old.

vaughan
05-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Grab the latest GPU drivers and go. ATI cards seem to run much faster but the Nvidia CUDA cards still run. My old 8800s manage a task in an hour or so. Quicker than those horrible GPUgrid tasks that take > a day.

Brucifer
05-09-2011, 06:42 AM
So if he didn't do ogr because of yoyo, then why did he do the rc5-72 wrapper as it is a duplication of dnetc.com???

AMDave
05-09-2011, 08:01 AM
...because dnetc.com went off the air and the domain name is now with domainbrokers.com as far as I can see.
The story goes that their servers got seized for alleged illegal file sharing or some such.

But it sounds an awful lot like the way that RieselSieve BOINC went a while back.
That worries me in a way.

There's never much detail that comes back to the public after such events.
We don't know if the authorities are basing such allegations simply on the back-and-forth traffic (which is legit for a distributed project) or if there was in fact some nefarious activity going on.

There are many other DC project servers in the interweb that are not funded by 'official' university or state funding to 'legitimize' their activity.
Their owners and operators must be a little concerned by this development as most DC projects have inbound and outbound traffic that is perfectly legit, but which could be mistaken by an uneducated authority for something like P2P files-sharing traffic.

On one hand, I hope that nothing was going on and dnetc.com get their servers back, but that would lend credence to the authorities acting on flawed evidence.
So on the other hand, I hope that the authorities acted on real evidence and are not simply snatching at servers that have an I/O traffic profile that they don't understand.
But that will mean that someone was up to no good, and that's just no good at all.

Perhaps in the future someone in-the-know will write a book and then we can all read about it.

Brucifer
05-09-2011, 06:24 PM
well one would like to think that the police, no matter where they are, are a little more knowledgeble and technically enabled to know what they were really pursuing in the alleged p2p investigation. I much prefer the Moo! wrapper though just because their crunched work units show up on the distributed.net team stats just like the regular rc5 project efforts. That way everyone is working on the same goal...... furthering the teams points on the original project's plan/scheme.

NeoGen
05-11-2011, 01:12 PM
I couldn't run Moo! Wrapper, it always failed my workunits. I think my drivers should be good enough, at least they run the classic Distributed.Net ok, so I don't know why are my workunits crashing on Moo...
Maybe it's my old graphics card, it's a GeForce 9600GT, but then again the classic distributed.net runs on it...

Nflight
05-11-2011, 03:14 PM
NeoGen they had some trouble with some older work units. So abort all work units and start fresh ones. Also you will need the newest GPU update: Version 270.61 and Release Date: 2011.04.18 Select the 9600GT and your operating system and then click next. You should be able to follow the next several steps to acquire your new Update. Place it in your folders and run the exe file. It will automatically load the driver and then start BOINC viola!

AMDave
05-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Heads Up Moo-ers!

You may (read as: probably do) need to update your project settings:
http://moowrap.net/forum_thread.php?id=54&nowrap=true#477

They just enabled the CPU client which is enabled by default AND added a 'required' GPU 'core' selection flag (I'm using '-1' for automatic selection)
The end result of this was my GPU stopped getting work and the boxen got bogged down with CPU work.
You need to update your project settings to fix this.
But you definitely need to check your boxen to see if this has happened to you.

AMDave
05-28-2011, 03:22 PM
The new 'BIG' GPU WUs are running well.

However, I have had a bad experience with them on my HD5700's

400% more work but only 95% of the amount credit I was getting before on the shorter WUs.
Infuriating.
I have posted my disdain on their project thread and have suspended this project on my boxen.

I hope that your mileage varies from mine.

Nflight
05-28-2011, 05:20 PM
I updated my both my Nvidia card and Boinc then received a boost of about 10% overall increase in my output. May 17th 2011 - BOINC 6.12.26 released to public :blob3:

Brucifer
05-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Unfortunately AMDave you aren't the only one that met with problems on their changes. I had two 4850's that couldn't get any work from them anymore, and the same issue you had with the 57xx. The cuda stuff just went into the taking forever mode. So I have detached all my systems from the project and have gone back to the standard distributed.net method and client and running my own perproxy. That method has been nice and reliable and I always have work for my systems. So once again, the journey into the boinc world has left me favoring the old fashioned way that allows me to always keep work on hand for my systems. To each their own I guess. :-)

vaughan
06-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Looks like Liuqyn caught me napping in MooWrapper. My GPUs had been diverted elsewhere.

Nflight
06-10-2016, 08:11 PM
I have returned to this project and plan to run it out past 100 Million, just a fair warning! I may go farther if I can acquire some new FitFen GPU's !!