PDA

View Full Version : We are head to head with Intel

NeoGen
07-31-2011, 06:07 AM
That's right guys... with the push over the last few months on BURP, we have been going up on the ranks and are now World #2!! :icon_mrgreen:

See here: http://burp.renderfarming.net/top_teams.php?sort_by=total_credit

Sadly, in this project (and only this one!) there is an "Intel Corporation" team above us. :icon_mad:

They are about 1.7 Million credits away from us, but we are slowly gaining ground... if we can catch them not only will we be World #1 on the project as we will have beat Intel's Team! :icon_mrgreen:

Anybody wanna join in? Just a warning though, the WUs are multiprocessor capable, and can use anywhere between 4 and 10 Gb of RAM. Very memory hogging indeed...

vaughan
07-31-2011, 12:11 PM
There is usually work for Linux and sometimes work for Windows, just there are more Windows users trying to grab the few tasks they release. As NeoGen says the project likes RAM and Cores. So put the mighty hex core Phenoms to work. :)

AMDave
08-02-2011, 12:16 PM
I want a piece of that. I'm bloated with priority work in my queues at the moment. I should be able to jump in in a few days time.

AMDave
08-06-2011, 01:05 AM
10GB! ouchies!
I have 1 box that can do that comfortably (16GB).
What happens if you only have 8GB on the box, does it fail or does it only send work that can be done on that box?

NeoGen
08-06-2011, 05:01 AM
I'm not sure but I think you can still do the tasks, but because it will move so much data back and forth from the windows swap file it will drag the computer to a grind...

But the free hard drive space minimum is around 20Gb I think, and that is deal or no deal... if you don't have enough free space, the burp server does not give you work.

vaughan
08-07-2011, 08:28 AM
10GB! ouchies!
I have 1 box that can do that comfortably (16GB).
What happens if you only have 8GB on the box, does it fail or does it only send work that can be done on that box?
BURP won't allocate any tasks to you if you have only 8GB RAM. It is very RAM intensive, currently needs >9GB and will use every core you throw at it. Phenom II hex-cores rule.

AMDave
08-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Thanks.
That cuts me down to 1 machine then.
Cache has started running down so I should be able to jump in a couple of days.

Nflight
08-07-2011, 02:14 PM
This project leaves me on high ground. Lets hope those that can push this and get that top spot will put this on their systems. It would be great to ride over Intel and rub it into their noses for once!

AMDave
08-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Finally just shut down the last VM on dn09 so I can have a crack at this.
It's taking a while to download about 1GB from their server (got 2 wu's in the first request)
I'll have to check back on it in the morning.

AMDave
08-17-2011, 01:39 AM
There's nothing like a power outage to SNAP you awake at 6am ... on a public holiday. Sigh.
Back up an running 5 hours later with no damages, fortunately.

These mt BURP WUs have on odd cpu usage profile, but eventually they get on to all cpus, and yes surprisingly quick on the Hex-core :)

AMDave
08-22-2011, 09:34 AM
Cannot get any BURP WUs for my Linux box for the last 2 days :(
The linux queue is at 99% complete (http://burp.renderfarming.net/status.php)
Filling the cache with something else until some more comes along.