PDA

View Full Version : BOINC incompatible with Bernina Artista application

vaughan
09-24-2011, 05:03 AM
Does anyone know how I report and who to report it to that there is an incompatability between BOINC the Bernina Artista application. If BOINC is running anything eg FreeHal then the Bernina application will not open and the computer freezes up. My wife is not happy. I am not happy due to wife not happy. I was under the impression that BOINC was not supposed to interfere with the routine use of the computer it was installed on. Looks like that is a crock of $hit.

NeoGen
09-24-2011, 05:58 AM
That sounds like that Bernina Artista application is running at the same low CPU priority (or even lower?) than the boinc projects themselves?

I've never heard of that application, but can you check on the task manager (if it's windows) to see what priority level the Bernina Artista process is running at? If the main process of that application, or any child processes, are running on low priority, give them a boost to normal to see if they run.

AMDave
09-24-2011, 01:02 PM
First make sure it is the latest version of BOINC and OS is fully patched.
Second change the BOINC machine profile setting to suspend CPU usage while computer is in use.
If B.A. still doesn't load when the latest version of BOINC is suspended then best remove BOINC from the wife's machine.
If B.A. still doesn't start then BOINC is not the problem.
If B.A. does load then it still does not mean that BOINC is the problem.
Considering there are literally millions of installations of BOINC, I'm inclined to reverse the statement and say that B.A. may not be a fully windows compliant piece of software.
If you would like the BOINC experts to check it out then I would place a post here (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum_forum.php?id=10)

NeoGen
09-24-2011, 10:02 PM
I got BOINC v6.13.1 (Pre-release) and on Tools -> Computing Preferences, there is a tab named "Exclusive applications". Not sure if this exists on the stable builds but probably does.

In theory, if you add an entry on that tab pointing to the exe file of Bernina Artista, BOINC will stop CPU and networking when that application is started, and resumed again after the application is closed down.

You can give that a try as well.