PDA

View Full Version : D2OL GUILess Install

AMDave
11-16-2004, 01:06 PM
Hey.
That was fun !?

I just managed to get the D2OL GUILessInstall to work on one of my Windoze machines. I had not tried it before.

Does anyone else run D2OL in CLI or Background mode only ?

Please let me know how easy you found it.

Did you hit any prbs with mutiple JVMs installed when using the GUI version ?

At this stage it does look like it's a bit quicker.
Time will tell of course.

AMDave
11-16-2004, 01:26 PM
Hmmm.
The WU upload and download rate seems to bit a bit slower though....

AMDave
11-16-2004, 01:31 PM
belay that.

there must have been a brief bottleneck in the network.

Uploads and downloads are now zipping along .

AMDave
11-16-2004, 01:37 PM
while I'm thinking about it,

DMMc did you manage to get my scripts for the service version of BOINC to work for you ?

BigDawg
11-16-2004, 06:49 PM
i would like to know how you got it to work. i cant seem to get to run as a cli or service. :cry:

Empty_5oul
11-16-2004, 08:29 PM
similarly i want to know how to do it and how much the production increases are ???
how many extra WU's can you process in 1 day as oppose to normal.

AMDave
11-16-2004, 09:18 PM
The install instructions are missing 2 notes that appear critical to getting it to work.

If you have a GUI version running at the moment take a look at the contents of the file "D2OL.lax"
In windows you will see that the file paths use "\\" as a folder separator.
Thats the first thing.
When you install the GUILess version it installs a new D2OL.lax file with 4 tags blank.
Per the instructions you must add 2 file paths but remember to use "\\" as the folder separator.
But you will also find that the Java VRE folder is still in *nix notation with "/" as the folder separator. compare that with your previos D2OL.lax setting and you will see that all you need to do is change the folder separators in that path from "/" to "\\"
That is the Second thing.
Per the instructions you also need to change the stdin and std out setting if you are going to use CLI.
If you are going to run as a background process and use file control the process is a little different
I have stuck with CLI for the moment - it runs in its own text window and is easy to control.

AMDave
11-17-2004, 09:12 AM
Oli,

It's hard to tell when running on a K7-7, and of course the WU times vary, but after 24 hours iI am getting the impression that it is marginally faster.

You have better CPUs, so you'd be better to rate it yourself.

Beerknurd
11-18-2004, 04:59 AM
I'll do it once I quit running SOB. It not worth the hassle if i'm not running it yet...