PDA

View Full Version : Get ready for a big jump on Pirates@Home :)

NeoGen
11-30-2004, 09:45 PM
I've managed to get hold of a couple of dozens of workunits from their website today! I don't know if they're letting out plenty of workunits now or if it was my persuasive hammering on their server that worked out, but either way, I'm crunching like crazy on Pirates@Home workunits! :) hehe

BigDawg
11-30-2004, 10:00 PM
after reading your post, i hammered the pirates site and got my very first work unit, it has only taken me 4 months to get one :shock:
and it looks like it will take about 7½ minutes to do, I WANT MORE!!!!

it took 7m53s

gamer007
11-30-2004, 10:37 PM
Cool guys. I joined Pirates too, but never added on BOINC to get WU. I hate waiting forever for one workunit. Maybe when they release lots more I'll come back. :?

Ototero
12-01-2004, 09:00 AM
Nice jump boys. Position 84 to 33 in Pirates@Home :lol:

NeoGen
12-01-2004, 09:13 AM
We're in 20th now! :)

Empty_5oul
12-01-2004, 09:27 AM
we will jump around a lot, its just luck really as to how many people can cache.

NeoGen
12-01-2004, 11:46 AM
I just uploaded my very last workunit... I hope they release some more soon. At the time I'm writing this we're in 15th place :)
It's not so hard to cache a good loot of workunits, as I did. You just have to keep an eye on their server stats page. When it says that there are units 'ready to send', or if you notice that the 'In progress' units are increasing instead of the normal decreasing then it's time to hammer the server, because they're letting out workunits!

NeoGen
12-01-2004, 06:00 PM
HAR! HAR! HAR!
I looted a couple more dozens of workunits! :P
Here we go to another jump up... this time smaller. (We're already on the top 20!!)

Ototero
12-02-2004, 08:24 AM
Nice going Neo,

I tried all day Tuesday for some work, but gave up.

AMDave
12-02-2004, 10:35 AM
you also have to wait until the WUs are validated.

There's not a lot of users & like yourself, people are posting batches of results back up. Whole batches of WUs are getting validated at once.

That's why it is jumping around a bit.

It will settle down if they get their splitter set up better (and keep the project going...

I recall reading their page when they started that the project was only temporary until they got Einstein up and going. It seems they are still using it to iron out bugs, like forum problems and PC & graphics card (for the screensaver) compatibility issues.

None-the-less the Cobblestone points should contribute towards the Overall BOINC stat which is based on the total cobblestones across all BOINC projects.

NeoGen
12-02-2004, 12:07 PM
I keep checking regularly my stats and I noticed that they're always up to date with a delay of an hour or so. The large teams listings, and user listings, those are updated a bit more slowly, but I notice that they regenerate at least the first page of the top tables every couple of hours or so, and my stats on the tables match with the personal stats.
The bigger delays are when they're putting out workunits and receiving results at the same time. At those times even the server stats page that is supposed to refresh every 2 minutes, sometimes takes 3, 4 or 5 minutes in peak moments.
When they "close the gates", and just receive back the results the stats are updated frequently. The top teams and individual user listings are updated every hour or a bit more, and the individual user stats are updated in less than a minute.
This is what I've been noticing about my stats at least, individually and in the team. I hope I'm not mistaken if I assume that other people have the same stats updating frequency... or else I'd start feeling vip or something. :lol: