PDA

View Full Version : General Warning

Ototero
12-06-2004, 12:06 PM
Found the the Anandtech forum

Special Alert

As many of you know, the TeAm recently had one of our major accounts hijacked. The account has been recovered but the experience has uncovered a glaring flaw in our Seti Accounts.

If your Seti Account is using a hotmail, yahoo, or similar free email service with the same address as your Seti Name, your account is in danger of being HIJACKED.

If your account remains "inactive" for 30 days (or whatever policy the free email provider may use) the account is deactivated. Anyone can register for your email account and gain complete control of it. Once they have your old email address, getting your Seti Password is a simple FORGOT PASSWORD message to S@H and the password is automatically sent to your "old" email address. The hijacker now has complete control of your account.

If you have one of the free email services that you don't actively use and your email address is the same as your Seti Name, you need to either change your Seti Email Address or your Seti Name.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=39&threadid=1436002&enterthread=y

Just be carefull guys.

Empty_5oul
12-06-2004, 12:22 PM
thats a good find ototero, do you know which team took it though and used it to boost their score - i hope they have been perm. removed from the stats.

Ototero
12-06-2004, 12:24 PM
Sorry, there was no elaboration.

It's something we should all be wary of though.

I was prompted to post it after your post about a lost email addy you used with Dnet. :lol:

Empty_5oul
12-06-2004, 12:37 PM
luckily my account has never gone out of date, so i have always been alright - does anyone know the limit on hotmail, is it still 30 days or has it changed with the newer amount of storage (250meg -- to compete with rivals e.g. g-mail).

*edit - my pic seems to have died aswell ???? i went into the gallery bit just now and its not there anymore, is there any known reason or just one of those things

Ototero
12-06-2004, 12:42 PM
You've gone blind :lol:

AMDave
12-06-2004, 01:20 PM

Oh so close !

LOLOL

(No EDITing here - just unable to post what I wanted to here. I couldn't figure out a way to get the words that were absolutely "begging" in without danger of offense or a shovel big enough to dig myself out again. Besides, I have proven in the past that I CAN actually fit both of my feet in my mouth at the same time....with my boots on ! :lol: )

Beerknurd
12-06-2004, 01:25 PM
Hmmmmm lol :lol: