PDA

View Full Version : Run that must-have windows app in Wine

AMDave
10-14-2011, 04:07 AM
Linux is clearly becoming popular, but sometimes the switch can be too painful.
Sometimes a home or business user will find that there is a Windows application that they have to use that is not available in the Linux repositories.

Those who are tech savvy might create a dual-boot installation that allows them to boot into either Linux or WIndows.
Others may even create a virtual machine so that either Windows or Linux runs as a guest on the other OS.

They even get as far as trying to install that Windows application in Linux under Wine.
Sometimes it works, but often it doesn't.

A recent article on xjonquilx.co.cc (http://xjonquilx.co.cc/2011/10/13/getting-started-with-wine/#more-2637) reminded me to go back and have a look at this.

I'm not going to re-quote the article, but I'd encourage you to read it.
Basically we shouldn't expect Windows applications to work right away on Wine when we haven't yet installed all of the other drivers and support modules.
The article points to two applications, PlayOnLinux and WineTricks, that help install Windows applications (including games) under Wine with a tremendous success rate.

PlayOnLinux is already in the Ubuntu repository and has a nice easy to use interface. It is available for most Linux distributions.

WineTricks is not in the Ubuntu repository so you have to fetch and install.
Although the article purports that WineTricks has greater capability it can require more technical knowledge as some command line experience may be required.

Although I am quite friendly with the command line and have much scripting experience, I'm going to try out PlayOnLinux.
The first point of interest is that PlayOnLinux installs to the 'Games' folder category, so you won't locate it under the Wine menu.

After you have installed PlayOnLinux, it may need to fetch some other files to get comfy on your system, so when you open the program you will likely get a "First use of PlayOnLinux" window.
Click "Forward" and the program starts looking for and downloading any updates that it needs.
This can take a few minutes so be patient.
At the end of this the download window will close and the PlayOnLinux application window will open.
If a new version of PlayOnLinux is available from it's parent site it will be displayed in the window.
I'll ignore the new version and stick with the Ubuntu supported version.

So where's the business-end of this tool?
Simply click on the add (plus) icon in the tool bar and the installer window will open.
The window has 4 panes.
The upper left pane allows you to browse through the categories of applications that can be installed.
The upper right pane displays the list of available programs in the category selected.
The lower right pane displays important details about a program selected in the pane above
The lower left pane may show a 'preview' picture if one is available, otherwise it remains as the PlayOnLinux logo.

If you find your application is in the supported list and you have your install CD's handy or have the ISO on your hard-drive, click on the application to select it and then click on the apply button.

I selected Office 2010 (always pushing the envelope) and the wizard failed to open. Not really suprising since it is the very latest. So lets be realistic.
I selected Office 2007 and the description notes that some parts of Office don't work.
It pays to read the description text in the lower right pane.
But when you click apply the installation wizard opens and helps you along the way.
The wizard helps you configure where the application will be installed and gets on with the business.

If your application is not among the categorised lists, the apllication selection window has a link to the left of the Refresh button.
Click on the text that says "Install a .pol package or an unsupported application".
An installation wizard opens and you can select Manual Installation and click next.
The Manual installation dialog opens and displays in important disclaimer that you should read.
Click Forward and you will begin the interactive installation process.
Along the way you can select which version of Wine to install and use that may support your application.
You should refer back to their website for various technical support details and the Wine site is helpful for technical information.
You can click forward without selecting any changes.

For the example, I selected the prefix "testapp" as the application prefix name and the selected an old Windows version of Stellarium.exe installer.
I know that there is a very good Linux version of this program, but the windows version didn't work under Wine when last I tried, hence selecting it for this test.
The program's own installer dialogs appear as normal and when finished you return to the PLayOnLinux installer window which you can now close.
The Wine folder now has a Stellarium folder in it.
Click on the Stellarium program - up and away. Very nice.

Now, how about removal?
First make sure the program is not running.
In my case stellarium has it's own uninstaller in its menu folder.
So I clicked on it and it works.

Nice.
So you can install unsupported applications with PlayOnLinux and expect them to work with a degree of success

I hope your experience is the same.

plonk420
11-04-2011, 04:22 AM
i tried straight WINE sometime just after 1.0 to see if Winamp's Orb (or whatever it's music streaming app is called) would behave better on linux, but i got stuck by not being able to click a button during the installation/initial log in. haven't tried since.

i AM amusing myself with VirtualBox + XP to run Subsonic, though.