PDA

View Full Version : paging file question for XP

ahab3333
12-13-2004, 08:48 PM
i was wondering if it is better to have windows manage the paging file or if i should set it. i was also wondering if i should have the paging file on a seperate drive than the operating system. if anyone has advice i would like to here it. i am letting windows manage the paging file now but i have it turned off for the os drive.

BigDawg
12-13-2004, 09:16 PM
with xp, i have gotten better results setting the page file minimum size to 300MB and the max at 1200MB, I put the page file on one of my sata drives.
If you dont have a sata drive, pick the fastest dirve that you do have for it.

just my 2cents

Ototero
12-13-2004, 09:57 PM
1st defrag the drives.
2nd set the min and max = to your ram (or as required like Bill)
3rd use separate drive if possible.
4th reboot.

Empty_5oul
12-13-2004, 10:01 PM
i tried this before and managed to really slow down the system from doing it ineffieiently - if you look online i would only trust certain sites as some seem to just invent reasons.

if you set the minimum and maximum to the same you are supose to achieve better perfomance but i find it better to let XP do it itself.

AMDave
12-13-2004, 10:32 PM
this was only a problem in Win98 and NT

Since 2000 and XP M$ actuall did fix it.

This has been tested and proven.

Let Windows manage it itself.
It is faster and more efficient using the built in algorithms.

Keith75
12-13-2004, 11:09 PM
My advice is to set the max and min the same so it isn't constantly changing and generally set it for 1.5 to 2.0 gig. I have 1 gig of RAM and set it to 1.5 Gig but if you have less I would go with 2.0 Gig.

Keith

ahab3333
12-14-2004, 03:38 AM
so half of you said keep it large and the other half said keep it as small as possible. i have 512 ram and set the page file to 600-2000mb on the fastest seperate drive.

if i have two different drives and two partitions on each drive. the fastest has the os and the second partion has the page file. do you think it would be any faster to put the page file on the slighly slower drive, so it is writing to different drives or will the partition do the same think?

Keith75
12-14-2004, 06:58 AM
No to get any benefit it needs to be on a separate physical drive and better yet the second drive should be on a different IDE channel.

Keith

Ototero
12-14-2004, 07:38 AM
So there you have it. :roll:

I've even tried setting it to the absolute minimum possible, thereby forcing all programs to use ram.

Works ok until you want lots of programs running at once.

AMDave
12-14-2004, 08:11 AM
LOL

Get heaps more RAM.

Throw out your HDD & Invest your lifesavings in the power company
;)

Ototero
12-14-2004, 08:19 AM
Check out the HyperDrive III

http://www.hyperos2002.com/07042003/

AMDave
12-14-2004, 08:37 AM
:shocked!: =P~

Lagu
04-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Tip how you can fix your page file.

When you will run defrag there is a file who Windows defrag not can fix. This file is the page file. The program can’t defrag open files and the page file is always open. If the page file is fragmented it will affect the performance. Do follow for to defrag the page file:

1. Right click on My computer choose Properties
2. Choose Advanced, click on Performance3. On Performance, click Settings
4. Click on Advanced. Click on the button Change
6. Remove the Page file thought clicking on No page file. Click then on Activate. See after so no partition has any page file if you have 2 or moor partitions.
7. Click OK on all open square
8. Restart your computer and run defrag as usual.
9. When defrag has got to end, activate a new on the same plats.
10. Set a new own size for the Page file on both Original and Maximal size for prevent the page file to be fragmented to quickly.
11. Choose Ok and back out from all open squares. If Windows prompt for a reboot, do so.

(This is from my own newspaper PC för Alla)

Lagu :D

NeoGen
04-02-2005, 08:12 PM
I created a small dedicated partition just for the pagefile, and set the page file to a fixed size, putting the minimum and maximum value the same (1 gigabyte). That way it never gets fragmented for sure.

andrewdodd13
04-02-2005, 09:45 PM
Perfect Disk from Raxco can defragment the page file and also the MFT (which windows cannot do, no matter what) on NTFS drives, in a special offline mode.
I personally have a 1.5gb swap file on an old 2gb HD :)

AQUAJOE
06-15-2005, 08:50 PM
Perfect Disk from Raxco can defragment the page file and also the MFT (which windows cannot do, no matter what) on NTFS drives, in a special offline mode.
I personally have a 1.5gb swap file on an old 2gb HD :)

This is not totally acurate. Sure it cannot defrag it but windows can reset it clean and fresh and therefore you have a defragmented page file.

If anyone is interested in how this is achieved properly. I will put the solution in here. But I see this thread has been dead for some time. So you may not care.

Ototero
06-17-2005, 06:47 PM
AquaJoe,

Please post your solution. Although there are many "experts" in these forums, there are always people ready to learn.

It might even provoke a response from an "expert" :D

Empty_5oul
06-17-2005, 07:00 PM
go for it, if you have any comments to other posts please reply to those aswell.
If something is wrong please correct it.