AMDave
11-29-2011, 02:06 AM
http://www.malariacontrol.net/ :icon_mrgreen:

Dirk Broer
10-31-2012, 12:48 AM
:happy1:Milestones Today: Meshmar passes 2,000,000:wav:

Dirk Broer
10-18-2013, 09:50 AM
@Vaughan: I am stepping up my Malaria Control effort as I keep getting in danger of falling out of the top-1000 participants, you may see me getting closer (passing you -at #944- even perhaps) as I aim at a spot within the first 800 or so.

vaughan
10-19-2013, 07:59 AM
OK Dirk, I see you. Was unable to get many tasks yesterday but will try again today. Its a shame its such a poor payer of cobblestones. Couldn't we race in Primaboinca? Its much more generous. :)

My main task is to stay in the Top 100.

Had the pharm in Sydney turned off yesterday for emergency air conditioning repairs. All good again now.

Dirk Broer
10-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Hi Vaughan, a race in PrimaBoinca would give you a nine million credits headstart. Considering the strength of your fleet against my flotilla, that's hardly a fair race.
I'm content with a top-1000 position, I only have six projects within the top-100.

BTW: Saw you're having a major drought down under on TV last night. Forest fires, houses coming down under the flames, and summer hasn't even started with you...

vaughan
10-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Yes lots of fires but where we live its inner city so we just get the smoke haze. The Blue Mountains to the West of Sydney had lots of houses burn to the ground. Some fires south of Sydney meant I was unable to drive back home this weekend due to the main highway from Canberra to Sydney being closed due to smoke. Only October so Summer hasn't started; it looks as if it will be a bad season for bushfires this year. We have had several years of above average rain so the undergrowth has built up. All part of Nature's cycle I guess. And don't get me started on that global warming hogwash!!! We had the coldest October morning in Canberra this week in 74 years with minus 3.4C. Perfect for the 'puters :)

Jason1478963
10-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Global warming may sound like hogwash to you but in places Where houses where built on perma frost it is very real. Places like this is where a degree or two makes a huge difference. When you see mountain tops losing more and more ice caps every year and when gone will not be able to provide precious water to streams and rivers. China is also having issues with losing towns and land to the expansion of deserts. When a majority of scientist say global warming is real it is hard to argue with. I think people are still arguing weather it is man made or not and even that is starting to lean heavily to the man made side of things. It isn't hard for me to believe its man made after working in a small coal power plant for a short period of time. I believe the numbers are approximately 1 pound(.453592 kg) of coal to 1 kilowatt-hour and about 2(.907185 kg) pounds of CO2. If you take the bill for our electric use where some of us use 3000 kwh a month your looking at approximately 3000+ pounds(1360+ kilograms) of coal. This gets to be a hideous number when your taking global amounts of coal used to generate electricity in our lifetime. They are saying the natural gas after fracking is even worse for the environment then coal with the methane leakage. I could go on and on i'm sure but I'm just sharing a bit of my view :p

What would be wrong to error on the safe side and embrace renewable energy? If we continue with Fracking for natural gas and oil how long before our water costs more then gas and oil? Who benefits from us not believing in global warming? oil companies and energy companies and? What if we get serious about adding extreme amounts of renewables? We would create jobs and cleaner air and water for our kids and grand kids. Is money more important then clean air, water, land?

Dirk Broer
10-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Couldn't have said it better....Global warming is about the average temperature on the earth, not about a new minus temperature on one spot.
The whole of Siberia is stinking with mammoth dung, which was lying there frozen for some thousands of years. Complete island groups are sinking into the ocean.
A town like Murmansk is needing an artificial ice rink nowadays!

vaughan
10-20-2013, 11:37 AM
My view is its just the cyclical nature of temperatures. Jason I see your point; OK then target the big polluters. I recall seeing TV shots when the Olympics were in China and they said there was so much air pollution that it was hard to breathe. OK hit China with a Carbon tax. When I visited the USA in 2007 I was amazed at how hot the temperature thermostats were set in the shops and buildings we visited. We had to set the air con in our hotel room in NYC to cooling and yet there was snow on the ground outside. The place was stiflingly hot. That's two things that can be done to counteract some of man's effects on the temperature of Earth.

Re the bushfires in my home state; there's fires almost every year. Why do they let people build in the bush = so they can whinge when its fire season. Maybe its tres chic to have a house surrounded by Eucalyptus trees. However, one thing is certain, those very same trees burn really well.

Dirk Broer
10-20-2013, 08:18 PM
The same high temperatures can be measured in London hotels during high summer = senseless waste of energy.
And who is there to tax a gouvernment? That same agency that can't put an end to a civil war because -amongst others- that same China says "veto"?
Who's taxing Indonesia for burning down it's forests? Who will do the same with Brasil?
Who's taxing the US for polluting the water by fracking?
Why do we Dutch people had to pay the energy companies for building coal power plants so they could export electricity and now have to pay for their losses on that project too?
Point I am trying to make is that gouvernments/large international companies are far more likely to raises taxes/prices in order to fulfill their needs than to pay taxes theirselves.

Dirk Broer
10-21-2013, 07:57 AM
Maybe its tres chic to have a house surrounded by Eucalyptus trees. However, one thing is certain, those very same trees burn really well.

Those people should be pointed out that it is even more chic to have a sort of embankment surrounding their house, filled with water, like a medieval castle. Then you have at least water to extinguish a fire nearby.

And as the story of the three little piggies teached us: do not build a house of straw or wood, build with stone.
And when you know there's yearly bush fires, do not have trees near your house, burn them youself -warm your house in winter with them- before they burn you!