PDA

View Full Version : Renderfarm.fi News

AMDave
12-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Blender 2.61 rendering client and next week updates
Today we deployed Blender 2.61. This version of Blender was a highly anticipated one as it added, officially, the Cycles rendering, motion tracking and ocean simulations among other things. I'm not sure if the ocean sims will work properly at the farm, but you are free to send us a test if we don't beat you to it. From what I understand the simulation data is similar as the one used for fluid simulations which makes it a bit challenging to include it with the .blend file. Then again, I may be wrong. I'll write more about this on the forums if it feels appropriate. Cycles rendering won't be available yet as we need to figure out how to handle the validation and choose one of the possible approaches in the rendering: We are thinking if we should use a fixed sample count for each render, or let each machine render for a set duration of time, then return whatever they have finished and merge all the results into a complete frame. Cycles allows this sort of merging, and it might be ideal for our service.

http://www.renderfarm.fi/sites/default/files/2.61splash2.png
In other news, we will have some major updates in our schedule. Starting with today's new rendering client we continue on Tuesday with a BURP update (more like upgrade) with Nathan (jesterKing) which will mean that the service will go down for a few days. We have a lot of work to do in order to change the entire server's structure to work with this new BURP. As a result Renderfarm.fi should be able to take advantage of Janus' work from the past few months which include... well, you can go look at the BURP tracker yourself. It's a big upgrade with a lot of desperately needed features! Following this update we will move on to a severe and very much due general Drupal maintenance.

Then, we are not sure. What do you think? We have a list of features and bugs in our TODO. The most notable two of those are Cycles and library support. Let's see when we get those rolling.

More... (http://www.renderfarm.fi/blog/gekko/blender-261-rendering-client-and-next-week-updates)