PDA

View Full Version : new forums at Pirates@Home

NeoGen
01-11-2005, 01:03 AM
I've added some new forums to Pirates@Home, just to see how these will work out.

First, a place for team discussion and recruitment. I'll be posting there shortly, as I've just created a new team...

Anyone here with a good talent for speech? We should leave an appealing post there in behalf of our team, to see if we could gather up some more users. Team Seti Synergy has made a post there already.

Empty_5oul
01-11-2005, 07:21 AM
AMdave i dont know what your up to but you have a good way with words, -- and what we post will be 90% the same as usual so you could re-use an old post -- say the one you posted on the official AMD site.

NeoGen
01-14-2005, 12:31 AM
Well, since nobody said anything in a while I took the liberty myself of taking the text from the mainpage, which I think it's very good, and basically copied it over to a post on the Pirates teams forums.
Just added one last paragraph saying we have online games for our members to play and upload their personal high scores.
If anyone thinks it should be edited, please say where and what and I'll do it.
On a side note... the text looks kinda big there, don't know if new members would have the patience to read through it all... lol.

vaughan
01-14-2005, 12:50 AM
Looks fine NeoGen, thanks for making that post at the pirates forum.

My only comment, and it needs discussing in our forum too, is that the penultimate paragraph isn't strictly true:

"Our forums also include information about heatsinks, watercooling, case mods and video cards. In the near future we look to have reviews for Geforce, Koolance, Thermaltake, Innovatek and more."

I know we have it in our site blurb but we don't have any solid information about heatsinks, watercooling, case mods & video cards. Also, no reviews of Geforce, Koolance, Thermaltake, Innovatek.

Does anyone want to post some hardware reviews?

AMDave
01-14-2005, 01:57 AM
Thanks NeoGen.
I was asleep at the wheel ;)

Vauhgan,
did Doomeva get the new AMD with the Dual head graphics ?
Perhaps we could get a review from Doomeva ?

As you know I have nothing bleeding edge, except my new Sony DVD-9 burner and my Lexmark all in one X1170. No special heatsinks or cooling systems or graphics though.

I can rave that I have 3 machines running in 43 deg. Celcius ambient room temp though...(every once in a while I get to open the door from the house to the garage to let a little cool air in when the temp alarm goes off :lol: thats my kind of edge :lol: )

Anonymous
01-14-2005, 02:55 AM
I'll ask Doomeva. :thumbleft:

AMDave our summer temps aren't as hot as your garage but still the air conditioning cannot cope; 26°C ambient in the computer room with the a/c on full blast cooling 24/7 :!:

I imagine the humidity is pretty high in Brisbane too - makes the heat feel worse.

Do your PCs have extra fans? HDD, RAM or graphics card cooling?

I connected an $8 80mm fan to try to help cool my HDD on the XP2100 that kept on locking up. Seems to have helped - no problems (so far) today.

vaughan

AMDave
01-14-2005, 06:29 AM
26 is nice. The garage only peaks at 40 to 43 on really hot days for about an hour or 2. But that is long enough to shut things down. It cools off so slowly though unless there is a breeze.

Yep an extra fan in the boxes. Cold in at the bottom front and hot out through the power supply at the top-back. (anyone remember Leibig condensers from chemistry class at school?) Extra vents closed off to force the air-flow direction. The PCs racked together side by side near the floor away from the wall so the coolest air comes in and hot air rises away from the outlets and none comes back in the air vents. Seems to work better.

Ambient temp has already dropped back to 37 and a breeze is picking up, so I have thrown the door and windows open.

D.C. Al Fresco !
Blue sky.
No Clouds.
Forecast is cooler with rain for next few days.
Yay !

vaughan
01-14-2005, 08:07 AM
[quote=D.C. Al Fresco ![/quote]

:sign5:

Yeah, I remember those Chemistry pracs where we boiled gum leaves and extracted eucalyptus oil using one of those condensors. Ahh memories!!

Empty_5oul
01-14-2005, 08:36 AM
i have a thermaltake xaser wigo V case so i could write something about that if needed, also i use the Jet 7 heatsink so could write about that aswell.

vaughan
01-14-2005, 10:44 AM
That would be great Empty_5oul. The more reviews the better.