PDA

View Full Version : VGTU@Home News

AMDave
04-03-2012, 07:33 PM
New problem (#3) to solve
Solution of the new more complicated problem has been started with the new application version, which should have smaller error rate. The size of the single job remains the same. With best regards, The Project Team.

More... (http://boinc.vgtu.lt/vtuathome/forum_thread.php?id=12)

NeoGen
04-04-2012, 02:46 AM
VGTU came to my rescue just in time! :) SIMAP's work dried out and one of my backups was VGTU so as soon as one was over the other one started filling in, making sure no CPU cycle would be lost.

Now I just have to update the other machines to do the same, and I'm gonna give vaughan a (short) run for his money. :icon_mrgreen:

Nflight
04-07-2012, 08:03 PM
While you were at it I through I would re-post new on the VGTU info page:

Test problem (#2) solved!
The key has been found by B Johansson from AMD Users team. Congratulations! Our thanks to all participants, especially, to our top users, which currently make a major contribution to the project!

Job generation has been stopped. We wait for all results to return before the purging of database and start of the new test. In the meantime new application versions are developed.

With best regards,
The Project Team. 19 Mar 2012 | 13:39:07 UTC ยท Comment

NeoGen
04-08-2012, 04:52 AM
And I now have flown by vaughan, who has not been active on this project and got my heat-seeking missile set on AMDave, current #1 :)

I know you saw me on the rear view mirror Dave, I see you started up your engines but you better step on it if you don't wanna be roadkill soon!:icon_mrgreen:

AMDave, AMDave, what ya gonna do?
What ya gonna do when NeoGen comes for you?
(poorly adapted from the Bad Boys movie theme song :icon_lol:)

EDIT: And a warm welcome to Liuqyn, who is our newest member on this project! Come and join the fun Liuqyn! :icon_thumright:

Nflight
04-11-2012, 09:01 PM
I would like to thank everyone on this project. It seems each one of us moved several notches up and each one of us has crunched several hundred/thousand points for the day. Today we are 4th in actual output, and ranked 8th overall. Nice job everyone! Keep this up and we will move up in ranking very soon! :blob3:

vaughan
04-13-2012, 01:57 AM
I woke up and noticed everyone who is participating in this project from our team is busy crunching tasks. 100 percent participation is great to see.

Onwards and upwards for the AMD Users team in the rankings.

AMDave
04-13-2012, 08:02 AM
I'm about to slam on the brakes. Aiming for a sure footed landing on a 'bok'. He's level with me again gosh darn it.
http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=mmakers&subproj=boks

NeoGen
04-13-2012, 05:18 PM
If you slam the brakes make sure you do it on the side of the road because there is a big rig coming right behind you at 120mph! :icon_twisted:

AMDave
04-15-2012, 09:03 AM
peeling off to the right now so you can pass on the left :P
(see that's my polite nature giving way for you in the US. We drive on the other side of the road here)

Dirk Broer
04-15-2012, 12:17 PM
'The Other Side'?

There is actually not that much countries driving on the left...
http://users.telenet.be/worldstandards/images/driving%20on%20the%20left.gif

AMDave
04-15-2012, 12:45 PM
and I quote ...
"Research in 1969 by J. J. Leeming showed countries driving on the left have a lower collision rate than countries driving on the right, although he acknowledged that the sample of left-hand rule countries he had to work with was small, and he was very careful not to claim that his results proved that the differences were due to the rule of the road.[32] It has been suggested this is partly because humans are more commonly right-eye dominant than left-eye dominant.[33][34][35] In left-hand traffic, the predominantly better-performing right eye is used to monitor oncoming traffic and the driver's wing mirror. In right-hand traffic, oncoming traffic and the driver's wing mirror are handled by the predominantly weaker left eye. In addition, it has been argued that left-sided driving is safer for elderly people given the likelihood of their having visual attention deficits on the left side and the need at intersections to watch out for vehicles approaching on the nearside lane.[36] Furthermore, in an RHD car with manual transmission, the driver has the right hand, which for most people is dominant, on the steering wheel at all times and uses the left hand to change gears and operate most other controls."

... so you will also observe that your per-capita road accident rate and per-capita deaths due to road accidents are higher.

Also your map is upside down. Australia should be at the top. :icon_razz:

Dirk Broer
04-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Is that figure (per-capita road accident rate) relative to the number of kilometers per car per mile road per year?
Actually we -the Netherlands- have a lower mortality rate regarding traffic incidents than left driving Australia or Japan,
see here (http://prototype.atlas-mag.net/en/article/the-road-insecurity-worldwide#)

And I bet the chances that I have a road accident while driving on the right through Australia are far lower than when you drive through the Netherlands on the left!

A whole bunch of maps that will appeal to Australians! (http://flourish.org/upsidedownmap/)

AMDave
04-15-2012, 02:58 PM
You are right. I was thinking of the US. I thought you all rode bicycles. :P LOL Stereo-types can be harsh.
hayhay. You found the real maps. Good job. I knew you knew what I meant.