PDA

View Full Version : Messages Tab missing & No connection pop-up

vaughan
04-05-2012, 07:49 AM
Does anybody know why the Messages Tab is missing in BOINC version 7, it was there i version 6. I realize it can be revealed with a Ctrl-Shift-E triple keystroke combination but I haven't mastered how to do that from my iPad 2. It seems to me to be a particularly dumb change on the part of the BOINC breakers / developers.

Also, how do you stop the BOINC client throwing up a message about there being no network connection. What I mean is I click Update to send in some finished tasks and this annoying message pops up. Doh! The PC is connected to the internet you stoopid BOINC so why annoy me with a no connection message. If I follow the advice in the popup box it says to go to Advanced - Options - Connections where the tab had a setting for dial-up (yeah what's that dinosaur?) or Virtual Private Network settings. Otherwise the box is blank. I just want BOINC to connect and send in my completed work without some silly interruption. If I clear the message box that pops up everything works OK.

It amazes me that BOINC had been around for years and yet still contains fundamental flaws.

/rant off

/edit: Added word network as in No network connection.

AMDave
04-05-2012, 08:54 AM
The messages tab was changed to a popup window.
Most BOINC users don't actually go there.
It is still in the menu: Advanced >> Event log so you should be able to hit it that way on an iPad.

One of the bonuses for the rest of us is that the popup window method means that we can have the popup event log window open on a desktop and slide it to one side.
This allows us to manipulate a project / work unit and monitor the message responses at the same time. esp when debugging or analyzing a problem.
I think that may have been the motivation for that particular change.

There were a couple of regression bugs in 7.0.22 that have been dealt with in 7.0.23.
Particularly to do with network activity often resulting in download failures on the Win64 platform.
My observation was that it did not affect Linux.
However I can confirm that the issues I observed have been fixed in the latest version.

If you are not using BOINC 7.0.23, I recommend an update.
Not working with Chess960 for me though - it appears that the Chess960 server software is getting far too out of date.
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php