PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding a SATA RAID 1 mirror

vaughan
01-20-2005, 04:53 AM
I need advice on this problem.
I noticed my SATA RAID 1 mirror was only usiing the second hard drive. On investigation I found the power supply line to HDD 1 was dislodged.
Question: when I rebuild the mirror how can I ensure that the data from HDD1 gets updated with the information from HDD2? ie I want to update the primary drive with the more recent data from the secondary drive.
Is SATA smart enough to know to do this or do I risk overwriting all my recent work?

AMDave
01-20-2005, 05:23 AM
From the Disk Manament WMI help file:
>Disk Management>Dynamic Volumes>Mirrored Volumes>Repairing a Dynamic mirrored volume

NB - somewhere there is an option to save your mirror set particulars to a bootable floppy which can do the job for you (for next time)

===

To reconnect the disk and repair the mirrored volume

A disk containing part of a mirrored volume has been disconnected. Try to reconnect and reactivate the disk.

Make sure that the physical disk is turned on, plugged in, and attached to the computer. If necessary, turn on or reattach the physical disk.
Open Disk Management.
Right-click the Missing or Offline disk, and then click Reactivate Disk.
See Replace the failed mirror with a new mirror on another disk if the disk containing part of the mirrored volume did not return to the Healthy status.

Notes

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.
To open Disk Management, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. In the console tree under Storage, click Disk Management.

AMDave
01-20-2005, 05:26 AM
...that was assuming its a windows box.

try this page for Linux.
http://linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/4349/7/

vaughan
01-20-2005, 07:40 AM
Windows XP SP2. I'll follow-up what you posted, thanks Dave.

AMDave
01-22-2005, 01:29 AM
how did it go ?

vaughan
01-22-2005, 01:35 AM
Completed. All I had to do was swap the cables to the 2 HDDs so that 2 became 1 and 1 became 2 then during re-boot press F4 and follow the instruction to rebuild the mirrored drive. Took 2 hours.

AMDave
01-22-2005, 04:19 AM
Cool.
You make it sound so simple.
Consider yourself our SATA RAID 1 expert.

Empty_5oul
01-22-2005, 10:05 AM
just wondering my new drives have arrived so i can go from 160G normal set up to raid 1. is it possible to keep what data i have, as i add a new drive and make them raid 1 for quicker opening/loading speeds. or do i have to format etc and start as if it was factory ?