PDA

View Full Version : I'm a newbie. Greetings to all the AMD Users! :)

NeoGen
11-02-2003, 01:13 AM
Hello everyone

I just recently found this great team that is AMD Users.
As this is my first post, I must say to all that I'm a very proud owner of an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with 512 Mb of DDR RAM :D
I'm from Portugal and I'm a student of IT engineering. I'm also a bit of a maniac for distributed computing projects, and I'm currently working on my single PC for 5 projects at the same time.
How can I be cruel enough to do this to my poor machine? (you are thinking...) Hehe. I made a little app in visual basic to schedule the days that each project runs, so for example today, saturday, it's Seti@Home day. For the nearly 16 hours that my PC is running today, it's all for Seti. Tomorrow will be Distributed.net and United Devices running in parallel... and so on.
I found out that some projects hog the CPU over other ones, so I had to put them all side by side in pairs running and see which ones would share the resources and which ones would hog over the others.
I'm currently running Seti@home, Folding@home/Genome@home (I don't understand very well but I guess that the app runs both projects), United Devices, Distributed.net, Climate Prediction and RSAttack, altough I'm thinking about quitting on this last one because I can't understand what is it doing when it runs and how liable the project is.
I'm moving my accounts in all projects and joining your team in all of them. I just recently joined up in the Seti project, and I jumpstarted right onto 7th place in the group. 8) hehe
Well, I guess I've said it all already... too much in fact. Lol.
Hope this great team keeps growing and expanding, I'll give my best for it! :D

p.s. - About the Seti project.... could you please correct the typo that is in the Group description on the Seti site? It says "This is the Seta@home team..." Seta??? Lol :)
p.p.s - I hope I haven't posted this twice... I don't know how to work very well with forums...

Bionic_Redneck
11-02-2003, 01:43 AM
Welcome to the team.

since1876
11-02-2003, 01:50 AM
Sounds great, but it sounds like you're just using those programs to test out your computer instead of to better the world! Everyone knows that we need to find aliens more than we need to find out how to cure aids or cancer!!!

NeoGen
11-02-2003, 02:07 AM
Yes. Indeed, I admit that I'm in it more for the fun than to find a cure for AIDS or anything like that. But I believe every distributed computing project has a honorable goal, not only the humanitary ones, and one should help on as many as he can, even if it's something we don't like much like for example maths! hehe :lol:
I'm helping only the ones that attracted me more because I have only one machine to run. If I had several machines under my command I'd run them all! :)
I was thinking about quitting on the RSAttack and I think I've found a good replacement for it. I understand that D2OL is currently a top priority project here at AMD Users now, so I might switch to that one in the next couple of days. :wink:

Jeff
11-02-2003, 02:54 AM
On behalf of the team, welcome to AMD Users. We are a very friendly team and I guess you could say we have a pretty close group of people here. If you have a question, feel free to ask.

Jeff

jlangner
11-02-2003, 03:34 AM
Welcome!! :D

Bionic_Redneck
11-02-2003, 03:34 AM
Sounds great, but it sounds like you're just using those programs to test out your computer instead of to better the world! Everyone knows that we need to find aliens more than we need to find out how to cure aids or cancer!!!

I will have to agree that seti doesn't really have much of a purpose but in the same token many of other project seem to be a waste but whatever float the person boat.

vaughan
11-02-2003, 04:36 AM
Welcome NeoGen I like your attitude.
Yes we are a positive team and we like to try out lots of different distributed computing projects. Would you be able to post a link or something to your "time sharing" application? I've been searching for something like that. I've also found that some projects suit Athlons more than P4s and vice versa. As an example, I find that my 2.53 GHz P4s perform better at Seventeen or Bust than my Athlons. I've also found that Chessbrain is a well behaved client as it plays well when paired with Ubero, Distributed Folding, D2OL, TSC, Seti, Eon and Ecc2 (I haven't tried it with RSAttak, F@H/G@H, dNet or GridOnTap).
vaughan

Arminiusc
11-03-2003, 01:58 AM

Almost every DC project is worth doing. Although I dont run seti... just think if they do find alien intelligence and manage to communicate... they might already have the cure for cancer and be willing to share it with us! :D

Jeff
11-03-2003, 02:18 AM
But what if we discover aliens and then they go all "Independence Day" on us?

NeoGen
11-03-2003, 11:48 AM
They wouldn't. If they are more advanced than us then they must be more conscious and intelligent. Only the primitive living beings need to fight each others and make wars to show their point, like ourselves humans.

Bionic_Redneck
11-03-2003, 03:59 PM
Unless of course you I mean they wanted our valuable resources. :lol:

Arminiusc
11-04-2003, 01:01 AM
Yes these aliens might hate other aliens and want to wipe us out... But then again... they might offer answers to all our problems! :)
Besides... would you want the russians getting alien friends before the U.S.? :lol:

jfw06013
05-06-2005, 03:48 PM
We'd be a curiosity to them.
Poke the animal and see what it does.
It's cheaper to mine asteroids.
New tourist attraction.
Slave labor.
Vacation home.
We have nothing they want.
Replacement parts (if they'er humanoid).
Anthropoligy lesson.
Biological diversity for new drugs/cures, get it before the primitives ruin it.

Just a couple quick thoughts off the top of my head.

Lagu
05-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Welcome to us jfw06013!

We hope you will be comfortable with us all.
What project are you running?

Lagu :D

NeoGen
05-06-2005, 05:09 PM
jfw06013... where did you dig out my very first post from??? :lol: :lol:

I thought it had been lost forever... :P

jfw06013
05-07-2005, 01:28 AM
Hi Lagu,

Sorry I forgot to mention that I run seti@home classic.

Here's my stats:

Results Received 856
Total CPU Time 4523 hr 46 min
Average CPU Time per work unit 5 hr 17 min 05.2 sec
Average results received per day 0.83
Last result returned: Sat May 7 00:44:03 2005 UTC
Registered on: Tue Jul 16 02:29:21 2002 UTC
View Registration Class
SETI@home user for: 2.811 years
Your group info:
You belong to the group named: Ask Nick!
You are not currently the founder of any teams.

Your rank: (based on current workunits received)
Your rank out of 5413908 total users is: 318533rd place.
The number of users who have this rank: 263
You have completed more work units than 94.112% of our users.

User Certificates
Download 750 Workunit Certificate
Download 500 Workunit Certificate
Download 250 Workunit Certificate
Download 100 Workunit Certificate

As you can see I'm kinda on and off with it.

How's it going with you?

Listen, I be VERY interested in tips on acomplishing my work units faster.

I'm running :

XP Pro with all the latest updates EXCEPT .NET

Windows performance set for best performance.

512 Mg DDR ram

Athalon XP Palimino 1800+ 266 FSB

Epox 8KHA+ motherboard VIA chipset with older drivers because people have reported better performance with this on the EPOX website

Ti 4200 nVidia AGP video card with the latest drivers.

Maxstor 189 gig HD with 8 Mb cashe.

Running programs are:

SpySweeper
AdAware SE
Spybot S&D
Creative Remote Center
Creative disc detector
Creative taskbar
Norton Antivirus 2004
SpywareGuard
Seti@Home client
nVidia settings
Win Patrol
Zone Alarm Pro v5.5.094.000

From System Information:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name N-E8CWAR7ZLQTQT
System Manufacturer VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model VT8366A-8233
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1403 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG, 11/6/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.2
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name N-E8CWAR7ZLQTQT\John
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 134.20 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.22 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

jfw06013
05-07-2005, 01:30 AM
jfw06013... where did you dig out my very first post from??? :lol: :lol:

I thought it had been lost forever... :P

I just clicked on forums and by golly there she be!