PDA

View Full Version : linmodem in Fedora Core 3

AMDave
01-23-2005, 08:21 PM
Well, I might say I was pleased to finally get my "linmodem" driver working yesterday under Fedora Core 3.

On the other hand I am now a little perplexed to find that once connected, the web browsers and email clients do not recognise that a connection has been made.

I have tested with firewall up and down, but the same result.
All modem tests complete successfully at the command level.
The modem is definitely connecting and login is complete.
It is just that the Application layer doesn't see the Network layer.

Has anyone else had a similar experience ?

The solution just has to be staring me in the face, I know, but it is like not being able to see the wood for the trees.

AMDave
02-14-2005, 12:53 PM
I fixed the problem above. I was not installing the linmodem rpm correctly.

I have had Fedora Core 3 (Red Hat nash) installed for over 2 weeks now on 2 machines and I am having niggling problems.

I want KDE top be the default desktop, but it persistently starts up in Gnome on both machines. I can't seem to get it to remember that I have selected KDE as the default. One solution would be to completely unintsall Gnome. But that's a bit drastic.

I don't know why yet, but the linmodem driver seems to drop out of configuration when I switch between Gnome and KDE and has to be re-installed every time. I can logout and back into the same desktop and everything is ok. There is no logic to that, it must just be a symptom of something else. I still don't know why this is happening. So for the time-being I wrote a script that re-installs and re-configures the driver from the command line.

The kpppd deamon sometimes hangs causing the modem to stop responding, so I have to kill the process and reconnect (AUD$8.00 local call connection fees in one day - ouch)

Initial experiences indicate that there is some instability in Fedora-c3. Sometimes my desktop icons don't come up and the DVD-RW intermittently stops working and won't mount, regardless of whether I am in KDE or Gnome.

Perhaps my expectations of Fedora-c3 are too high. I have had great experiences with earlier versions of RedHat Linux and in fact one of my machines is still running an original install from over a year ago, so I expected a lot from the community based implementation. I think I am going to roll back the other 2 machines to an earlier version.

I am afraid that this means windows is still running...and all my PCs still have heads.

On the up-side, I did win another battle. I have finally managed to get my machines back out of the garage into the house...and the air-con YAHOOOO !!!

vaughan
02-14-2005, 08:21 PM
I fixed the problem above. I was not installing the linmodem rpm correctly.

... reconnect (AUD$8.00 local call connection fees in one day - ouch)

Dave you need broadband!

AMDave
02-15-2005, 09:20 AM
I know... :(

APC did another BB packege review this month.
I lent my issue to a workmate, but I got it back today, so I'll check out the prices again.

Got to get it past accountant / manager / other half, so I have to have my $$s right :lol: