PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu: trouble with Chrome Version 20.0.1132.47

AMDave
07-01-2012, 12:58 AM
I just started experiencing some issues on Ubuntu 12.04 with Chrome Version 20.0.1132.47 after a software update.
The problem is specific to this version on Ubuntu.
I tested the same Chrome version on Windows and it is fine.

When replying to posts on forums or opening posts in edit mode, Chrome is not allowing the cursor to enter the edit area and appears to be treating it like an image.
Also seeing some artifacts of previous pages on the right hand border of the page.
This is symptomatic of a problem with the renderer

It's nothing to do with our forum upgrade from 4.1.11 to 4.2.0.
I tested with other browsers and it is all fine.

I tested with the development version Chromium Version 21.0.1143.0 custom (138003) and the problem has gone away again.
That is not the latest verion of Chromium, but is a step or two further on than the version of Chrome that I am having the issue with.

I'm not sure how this bug got into a Ubuntu release version of Chrome but there you have it.
So, if you are using Ubuntu 12.04 and have any issues with Chrome Version 20.0.1132.47 like I described above, roll on to the next version or roll back to the previous version and it should be fine.

AMDave
07-01-2012, 07:50 AM
This may be related to a common proprietary graphics driver issue. More testing to do.
That said - it can still be regarded as a bug in Chrome. The version before and after definitely work ok with the same driver.
It's just that both sides like to point the finger even when the point is moot and its already fixed in the next version which has already passed development and system testing but isn't released yet because it is still in UAT.
All very pointless really. Just have to wait for the next version. sigh.

veebrij
04-06-2013, 06:07 AM
hi,
according to me there was a problem with Ubuntu chrome version because as you said that when it is opens with windows it has no issues then it is problem with Ubuntu.or with some can be happen with graphics driver.

thanks

oracle managed services (http://www.veebrij.com)

AMDave
04-06-2013, 06:36 AM
Those problems are long gone since we are now on version 25.x

Dirk Broer
04-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Those problems are long gone since we are now on version 25.x
Latest Chrome for Ubuntu Linux: 26.0.1410.43