PDA

View Full Version : MilkyWay@home News

AMDave
01-22-2013, 08:50 PM
Stopped N-Body Runs
Hello everyone, Thanks for your continued support. We are pulling down N-Body for the time being. We appreciate your feedback and are currently working on the next release. We plan to test some of the absurdly credited WUs as well as fix some of the bugs that have been recurrent. Thank you for your patience, Jake

More... (http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/forum_thread.php?id=3121)

Brucifer
01-24-2013, 05:26 PM
This project is a bit of a tear jerker................. Every now and then I put an ati4850 on it, and it gets crunching along pretty good and then they run out of work. And of course it runs out of work when I'm not around, so then I end up with a cruncher sitting idle. Well The 4850 does good on milkyway, but on collatz it is a bit slow, so for collatz I like to run another ati gpu that is a bit more efficient both in credit and output per watt. Of course I could stuff in a nvidia 560ti, but that uses more juice than the 450, puts out more heat than the 450, plus it doesn't do worth a hoot on collatz as a backup, however there is always the sieving that could be run on the nvidia I guess.... but the nvidia sure puts out heat. So that gets me right back to the tear jerker scenario cause if they didn't run out of work as frequently I'd just leave the 4850 on it. So reality is that I just don't run the project much which is a shame as I'm really into the milkyway research. :-(

Dirk Broer
01-25-2013, 01:25 AM
Strange, my HD 4770 is running MilkyWay -almost- 24/7/365, only running Collatz or Moo!
when MilkyWay is down or has no work (which is seldom, it seems to me)
The n-body WUs are CPU tasks by the way, running on every core/thread they can find.

If anyone has a quad Opteron board with four 16-cores he/she might see ONE wu running using 64 threads....