PDA

View Full Version : in the future

NeoGen
02-16-2005, 03:45 AM
As cellphones are starting to get quite powerful in terms of processing, I wonder if sometime soon we'll see the first DC project for cellphones, or at least with a special compile (in java maybe?) to run on cellphones, besides the normal windows/linux/etc...
It could get work and send back results by wap... or sms even.

Imagine.... you could be crunching anywhere you wanted! :P

daddygeek
02-16-2005, 05:01 AM
great four days to compile one pack on a four-hour battery life :lol:

that would be cool though, especially if you could increase graphics performance to play some awesome games. :twisted:

andrewdodd13
02-16-2005, 06:53 AM
its a good idea, but at the moment we wouldn't get very far as the average cell phone only has a 5MHz processor :D
java is a good idea though because most phones support it, even though it is a little slower due to the fact its run in a virtual machine
also daddygeek is right, it would have a massive impact on battery life, my k500 lasts a week if i leave it alone, less than a day if i use it all the time

NeoGen
02-16-2005, 01:47 PM
I thought of that because I saw that the Nokia N-Gage has a ARM9 104Mhz processor, quite respectable for a cellphone but maybe a bad example for my idea because the N-Gage is not really a cellphone but a hybrid. (Cellphone plus portable game console)

Nevertheless, games for cellphones are being developed at quite a fast rate, I even played Doom and other 3D games in a friend's cellphone (which was not an N-gage) some months ago. If games start pushing the cellphones as much as they are pushing PC's then we'll have very powerful cellphones soon. :)

EDIT: And now that I think of it, I had never heard about batery life improvements before cellphones started appearing. And now every year there's a new idea for a longer lasting battery. That's one technology that cellphones are pushing on harder than portable computers ever did... strangely.

Empty_5oul
02-16-2005, 07:24 PM
i doubt anyone else read the article in Personal Computer World seeing as it is an English magazine but there was a great thing on mobiles / computers and consoles etc.

It was by a "technology expert" comparing the different systems and their benefits and faults. Overall it was about technology and how just 1 mega-powerful thing could be worse for the market rather than lots of small things e.g. a mobile that is just a phone, a gamboy just for playing games etc.

It was nice to read for a change; rather than everything merging together and all becomming one thing. It laster went on to say are PDA's becomming phones? phones games consoles? and with the likes of the PSP and nintendo DS being organisers/ PDA's ?

NeoGen
02-16-2005, 08:14 PM
There used to be a Portuguese version of that magazine, it had that exact name. Must have been a translation of the English one I guess.
It was one great magazine and I read it for at least 3 years... but then they stopped editing it :(

Empty_5oul
02-16-2005, 08:24 PM
its still around here, they put their best bits online. I'll find a URL from the magazine for you.
[ http://www.pcw.co.uk/ ]

i just did the stats pages as well, i found another problem where i was uploading blah.html i was updating blah.htm on my machine. i dont know where the .htm came from ?? anyway i am back to normal now and will be uploading the real targets again :thumbleft: