PDA

View Full Version : Kavoom

vaughan
02-17-2005, 06:49 AM
I just installed this software controlled KVM application. Its brilliant. No more having to mess around plugging cables etc just hotkey to the machine you want to control within your LAN.

www.kavoom.biz

daddygeek
02-17-2005, 12:34 PM
looks cool

chaz
02-17-2005, 02:02 PM
Yes, very nice. I hate having to swap cables around to see what other pc's are doing....
Is there a limit on how many computers you can use with it?

vaughan
02-17-2005, 06:56 PM
I'm trying it now. Appears to be no limit. Only glitch found so far is that the Kavoom driver makes the WinXP icons on the secondary PCs have a blue solid background to the icons's name. Cost is USD$29.95 1st two PCs (1° and 2°) and USD$9.95 for each additional PC.

NVM
02-18-2005, 12:16 AM
i'll stick with VNC. :cool:

DMMc
02-18-2005, 03:42 AM
Myself I like Radmin. no muss no fuss just type the IP and password and you see exactly what the user on ther other end sees.

Empty_5oul
02-18-2005, 09:40 AM
NVM i have to agree i like VNC as well.

AMDave
02-19-2005, 09:26 AM
I'll have to add that I upgraded from AT&T VNC about 1 year ago to RealVNC 4.04b (ref: http://www.realvnc.com )

In addition to the normal VNC server and client, it has a java based client that you can use through a web browser.

It worked with IE and it works through firefox as well...it should work through any browser as it just uses the browser to import the java client and open a new java browser window in which it renders the remote PC's screen. It includes password protection of course, and you can change the traffic ports to suit yourself.

It sounded simple and tacky to start with, but when I started using it I found that the renderer used less bandwidth (even over a modem) and the graphics were better and faster.

It will take more than a crow-bar to prize this out of my hands. Excellent for headless and armless PC operation over both LAN and WAN connections.

Oh ... and like other versions of VNC ... it's free

Empty_5oul
02-19-2005, 09:56 AM
well summed up.
the only downside is getting it to work in the first place can be a pain due to firewalls etc but that is the same with them all

AMDave
02-19-2005, 11:09 AM
ramp the firewall up to the max
add the port numbers that you need to use
test all of them

Then rip it's head off !!!

"Aaaarrrrrrrr !!! Shiver me timbers. An' take 'is arms orfff as welllll !!!"

Ototero
02-19-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm an UltraVNC user. It seems to be compatible with other VNC products.

vaughan
02-19-2005, 01:03 PM
OK I need help with RealVNC.

I have VNC Server running on this PC and I want to see the other PCs in my LAN. What do I load on them - Server or Viewer? Do I have to add RealVNC as an exception in my Win XP firewall on each PC?

Ototero
02-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Each machine you want to see remotely must be running the Server. You need to run the Viewer to see them.

You might be able to change the default port to something else then allow that thru the firewall.

Lagu
02-19-2005, 06:41 PM
I uses Zone Alarm Pro firewall in normal settings and never have any problems. I not use a proxy for my 2 MB ADSL-broadband. The firewall would ask for permission and remember my settings. Then it run automatically. I´m chrunching 2DOL. Perhaps it is depending on who project we join. ;)

LAGU

Empty_5oul
02-20-2005, 09:13 AM
lagu VNC is a tool to remotley control other machines running the software.