PDA

View Full Version : What to install first.....Linux or Windows?

Anonymous
11-03-2003, 02:39 PM
Do i install windows XP pro first, and make 2 partitions, and then install linux on the 2nd partition? Or linux first?

Bionic_Redneck
11-03-2003, 02:52 PM
you have to install windows first or windows rewrites the mbr. how I go about making the intial partitions is with dos's fdisk. I run fdisk and make a partition for windows the size I want for windows and then make it active then install windows now when I install linux I can use the other part of the drive for linux without having to worry about linux having to resize windows.

Anonymous
11-03-2003, 04:33 PM
how do i get into dos's fdisk?

Eclipse
11-03-2003, 05:01 PM
You need to start the computer with a windows boot disk in the A: drive. Then at the A : type fdisk

NeoGen
11-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Whenever I have to format or partition my hard drive I almost always do it with a Partition Magic boot disk, or rescue disk, or whatever the name is. It's cool, and gives you a "windows look and feel". Much easier to work with than ms-dos.

But, then again, I never installed Linux on my pc, so I don't know if Partition Magic works for it.

vaughan
11-03-2003, 11:23 PM
Yes it does.

Arminiusc
11-04-2003, 01:08 AM
When you start the install for XP it gives you the option to set partitions up.

TA_Super_10
12-03-2003, 09:21 PM
Its best to use XP bootable disk (CD) to create partitions if they are giong to be larger sized. 98 boot disk (A) can only recongnize a certian ammount of gigs which means smaller partitions

Bionic_Redneck
12-03-2003, 09:49 PM
what program is it that you use for partition in winxp. There is different ones for linux but I prefer fdisk and what's the limit on partitions for win98?

If you plan on using /boot partition for lilo instead of MBR you can re-install windows at anytime without messing up boot loader. if you reinstall windows it writes to MBR and won't run lilo but you can fdisk /MBR and then it will work correctly again but it has to be done with dos fdisk not the linux version