PDA

View Full Version : i have a virus

Empty_5oul
02-20-2005, 10:18 AM
On my machine i have a virus :-( . It is really odd and i have no idea to get rid of it.

I don't know how i got it but yesterday evening my machine was fine, come up here this morning and have the virus. I downloaded nothing overnight and only used 3meg net usage (SOB) so it is unlikely to have downloaded either.

I cannot do much on my machine, it boots up ok but then someone/something has control over it. I could not type a message to post on here as the browesr (both IE and firefox) continually refreshed, couldn't do AVG update as it closed it etc. Just now it even shut my machine down !!!!
Since then i have taken it of the network and internet so nothing else can get in or out, i managed to update AVG by opening word and after kicking off a scan switching windows - but 2 pages worth of text ( y's and 6's only) have alreayd been typed. I unplugged ps2 cable and removed batteries from my keyboard but it still happens - therefore it must be installed code rather than control.

What should i try ??

NeoGen
02-20-2005, 10:39 AM
When I tell people that I formatted a pc that happened to have the modem turned on, and at the first reboot after installing windows it already was infected by spyware/virus, some people don't believe... but it's true. Nowadays, if you don't have a decent firewall you're doomed... :cry:

If you have no control over it maybe you try with a boot disk/cd with anti-virus to try and get rid of it. Another thing could be taking off the hard drive, plugging it in as secondary in a computer that had antivirus and scanning from there. Or... the most radical choice... format. (my favorite :P)

Empty_5oul
02-20-2005, 10:43 AM
i might try that master/slave thing.

I did already have ANG installed and being behind a router with firewall built in and windows firewall running aswell have never had major problems before.

Empty_5oul
02-20-2005, 01:01 PM
i managed to get it after another AVG scan, re-boot and then another scan. I had 3 in the end, a dialer, a trojan "downloader.small.20.BP" and trojan "dropper.bridge.A". At least they are all gone.

everyone should do an anti virus update i had 4 meg to download when i connected this morning and i update at least once a week.

DMMc
02-20-2005, 02:36 PM
I've had 2 of the 4meg DLs from AVG this week. Not sure if that's good or not.