PDA

View Full Version : WAKE UP!!!

DMMc
02-22-2005, 02:05 AM
LHC@Home is up and going again...Grab the WUs while they're hot...

NeoGen
02-22-2005, 02:42 AM
Unfortunately, account creation is still disabled :cry:

vaughan
02-22-2005, 09:32 AM
I got some LHC work, crunched it, tried to return it and get this message:
Already have result v64lhc blah blah
and next line is:
Got ack for result (null), can't find

WTF is wrong with this BOINC client!!!

Useless heap of crap.

Back to SOB I go.

AMDave
02-22-2005, 10:29 AM
vaughan,

Now is one of the few times when all BOINC projects (except Pirates) are working on the same version (v 4.19). However, moving closer to 4.2x a couple of version-to-version compatibility errors crept in.

LHC have identified a small issue with the "sign" key and unsigned WUs which were issued. This should be fixed within next 24 hours.

Your error message is mentioned here:
http://lhcathome.cern.ch/forum_thread.php?id=1139

The cause is explained here:
http://lhcathome.cern.ch/forum_thread.php?id=1140#5778

Immediate Solution is Detach and Reattach the project. Otherwise, when the cache all fails, the next batch of WUs should all be signed.

If there are any other details I expect that DMMc and meckano are both most likely to know more.

Beerknurd
02-22-2005, 12:43 PM
WTF is wrong with this BOINC client!!!

Useless heap of crap.

Back to SOB I go.

He he he........ About time someone else realized it too..... I've been saying that for a long time..... :lol:

DMMc
02-22-2005, 01:04 PM
vaughan,

Now is one of the few times when all BOINC projects (except Pirates) are working on the same version (v 4.19). However, moving closer to 4.2x a couple of version-to-version compatibility errors crept in.

If there are any other details I expect that DMMc and meckano are both most likely to know more.

Looks like you got it covered for now AMDave. Only other issue i've been having is that they have a daily quota limit and I can't get all the WU I want :twisted:

meckano
02-22-2005, 03:40 PM
I started again in last couple of days.
No visible problems.
I can't see results, disabled for me; sounds like others can see their results already. anywho.

No problems, so no comments on fixes.
But I have heard to reset project and not to detach.

Edit, add:
When I joined I got 2 new computers, I merged oldest to newest; 1 minute apart.
- My old computer I just deleted and still have credit on my name, but new computer ID is starting from zero. Maybe LHC will fix that one day.
No biggy, well, sorta is. lol :)

AMDave
02-23-2005, 09:20 AM
The only major gripe I have with BOINC is the size of the WU data files and the frequency of the exe-file updates.

It is murder on a modem, and on dowload-measured broadband. :(

Most of the other projects (except GRID) have a much smaller WU base, and being more stable require fewer client updates, and most of them are smaller too.

I have to agree with vaughan. There are still far too many changes going on with the platform. It's philosphy is good (projects are able to move into the framework quite quickly). But, until the changes slow down it's going to continue to be a royal pain in the ...

What gets me is that they knew at the outset the platform was going to be volatile for a long time through many development phases. I don't uderstand why they did not deploy on a Sun/IBM java client, or other interpretive code base, which could update itself (& even the java install as well) much faster. Almost everyone has a JVM installed for one reason or another these days, but most people don't have high-level language code compilers on their desktops.

Ah well. Water under the bridge now I suppose.

The rest of my issues with BOINC come under "pet peeves". I know they will b knocked out eventually.

Eventually has a habit of always being a long way off.