PDA

View Full Version : HCC(1) wrap up: Thanks for the ride Jason1478963!!

AMDave
05-04-2013, 07:46 AM
As WCG HCC (version 1) comes to a close and there is chit chat about a possible version 2, it is time to take stock.

When HCC kicked off, I had been talking to Jason1478963 and RamJet about getting back to WCG and doing a decent 3 month stint on the project.
(PS if you haven't sat on the AMDUsers IRC channel for more than a few minutes you have missed out on some cracking and life-changing chats - get involved and be part of it)

At the time I was a lowly team rank #75 (about world rank 58,000 at the time) and looking up at a lot of team members ahead of me and wondering how in the heck I was going to make a difference in this project.
Jason spent time with me on IRC and helped me to get involved in the test phases of HCC and that really re-engaged me in WCG.
Later on we looked at the test results from various GPUs while the AMD 7xxx series was coming into the market.

I kicked-off with 3 HD5770s and later with Jason's help and advice sorted out 2 HD7770's with my limited budget.
We worked on our BOINC config files in windows and linux and got our concurrent-WU processing up to max - all the while I was watching Jason & RamJet's GPU power growing.

As HCC(1) comes to a close I find myself in the lofty realm of Team Rank #4, world rank 3,500-ish.
It has been one hell of a ride for me with the team and world ranks whizzing by and for that I am truly grateful.
The team has gone up several ranks and cross a wide divide up to several more in the 'offing'.
Have a look at the charts on this page (esp the one at the bottom !!) http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=team&proj=bwcg&team=731

But what about those already at the top!?
Well Jason1478963 started at the top of the team and only had the world ranks to gauge progress by.
Jason1478963 is now world rank #29 and it looks like rank #28 will (ed: might) be his as the pending HCC results get validated.
http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=users&proj=bwcg

On a project as huge and incredibly competitive as World Community Grid this is an astonishing achievement.

Well done to our fellow AMD Users team members Jason1478963 and RamJet.
MUCH RESPECT!!
Thanks Guys :icon_thumright:

Terry1953
05-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Good going guys! And it sounds like you had a lot of fun in the process. Congrats. So what will be your next victim?

vaughan
05-04-2013, 02:33 PM
That is an amazing story. Congrats guys. Brilliant effort and it shows what persistence can achieve in this hobby.

Dirk Broer
05-04-2013, 02:58 PM
WCG-HCC is one of the reasons I have three Llano systems running, when I go all-out on WCG-HCC I have 3 APUs, 3 HD 6670s and a GTX 260 running it, and I am doing not all that bad the last weeks either (http://boincstats.com/en/stats/15/user/detail/749683/lastDays).
My next build will most probably be either a Trinity or a Richland system, replacing the hand-me-down Athlon X2 5000 -though you never know what you might encounter.

NeoGen
05-04-2013, 11:40 PM
That is persistence and dedication to a project hands down guys, my humble congrats to you! :)

I hope to someday see part 2 of this story, when you guys tackle and finish HCC version 2. (if it comes out)

Jason1478963
05-07-2013, 04:57 AM
A big thanks for AMDave for the great post and recognition of this project. It was a good time working with AMDave to find what worked well for the project. It wasn't the best points project but the project was very worthy. Congrats to everybody that worked on this project and moved up the ranks at WCG. I believe this may have helped our team climb a few spots as well. The 2013 HCC april update said they plan to work with WCG more and lets hope its another GPU capable project as well as cpu. HCC april 2013 update. (http://www.cs.utoronto.ca/~juris/WCG/UPDATE-APR2013.pdf)

The next thing we have been messing with is POEM to see how it runs and what we need to change to get it to work with the systems. I am also trying other projects to see what works where when POEM is empty. I have also added a little support for the current Pentathalon. I have not tested the GPU project yet to see what machines it will run on, or if the temps will allow me to do so here. Then its time to give the electric meter a break for a bit before the A/C starts coming online full time.

Thanks everyone and look forward to seeing more people on the chat channel and on the next WCG project.