PDA

View Full Version : Donate@home News

AMDave
05-31-2013, 09:48 PM
Project down until further notice
d@h was not able to be up consistently in the past few months. It has never been a champion of stability due to the complexity involved but now it's even worse with no apparent difference in the infrastructure. Adding to this is the advent of ASICs for bitcoin crunching. These chips are way more power efficient than GPUs and so it makes no sense to keep crunching on GPUs.The results of ASICs is that when we started the network power was around 8. Tera hashes/s. Yesterday was 110. This also mean that in the past few months we could not solve any block. I'll be away for the next month, but as soon as I get back we will be reporting on what we have done and what we plan to do. Most likely stop it and re-purpose it.For now, I would like to thank everybody who participated and wait for the reporting in 1 month.gdf

More... (http://donateathome.org/forum_thread.php?id=220)

AMDave
06-01-2013, 12:39 AM
I like the idea of re-purposing it.

NeoGen
06-02-2013, 07:48 AM
Bitcoin seems to be out of hand these days with the ASICs. If they switch to Litecoin they may get back to making something, but it will be on a smaller scale than it was with bitcoin.

Dirk Broer
06-02-2013, 09:35 AM
What's preventing the coming of ASICs with Litecoin? And FPGA systems will be even earlier on the scene.
My advice: either wait for a HD 8990 (sooner than you might think) or grab the earliest FPGA solution you can get hold off (or both).

NeoGen
06-06-2013, 02:07 PM
I've read that because of the different (and probably much more difficult) algorithm used on Litecoin it makes it very hard to make profitable FPGA/ASIC systems, and even GPUs on Litecoin only have about 10% performance compared with Bitcoin algorithm.

Dirk Broer
06-06-2013, 02:20 PM
In that case: put all your savings in HD 8990 (10 TFlop of single precision) and reserve some money for the event that e.g. Intel's Xeon Phi might come in handy as co-processor for running that specific algorithm.