PDA

View Full Version : Fosters 2005 Australian Formula One Grand Prix

vaughan
03-03-2005, 12:12 PM
I was at the Albert Park track today for the leadup to the Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix which is being held this coming Sunday and my boss arranged a visit to the Ferrari pits.

Awesome :!:

I noticed an AMD logo on the rear wing of Michael Schumacher's Ferrari so I asked our guide if they used AMDs, Intels or both. He introduced me to the AMD rep and she explained that Ferrari use AMD processors exclusively. Each car is tracked by 4 separate computers using telemetry. These give real-time information about the car's vital statistics, fuel use, average speed, distance covered, distance to empty etc. She explained that the Ferrari factory runs a supercomputer consisting of more than 300 Opteron nodes. There were laptops in use throughout the pits and in a backroom there was a heap of guys working away on their computers. The technology in this place has to be seen to be believed.

I was surprised how clean and organised the Ferrari pit area was. For example, one mechanic was working on a car and as he finished with each tool he cleaned it and put it back in its assigned place in the toolkit with meticulous precision.

The highlight of the day for me was a handicap event where three cars raced: there was a 1 series BMW versus a General Motors Holden V8 Commodore Supercar (Aussie muscle car) versus an F1 car (forget which one). The baby BMW was given about a minute head start then the V8 took off then about 30 seconds later the F1 blasted off. We could HEAR and see how fast it was when the Holden started to brake for the first turn at about the 300 metre mark compared to the F1 at about 100 metres. The F1 makes an amazing sound and handles, well it just handles supurbly. The track is about 5.3 Kms in length and the F1 caught up and roared past the V8 and the BMW on the home straight just before the finishing line.

I wonder how my Ford XR6 Turbo would have gone ... maybe I'd better not!

Jeff
03-04-2005, 02:51 AM
Neat! I wish my job were that cool. :(

AMDave
03-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Wow. That sales trip was more than worth it, huh?
In true AMD Users fashion I am green with envy. :lol:

It's great to know there are people in the F1 fraternity that will stop and talk and explain. Their time must be wildly expensive, but they still know the value of real communication. What they do and how they do it has to be planned to precision, against incredible parameters, so far in advance. It is truly a credit to AMD that Ferrari selected them for their business and engineering needs.

Their super computer sounds like a rush ! What projects do they run when they are not processing a new aerodynamic profile, I wonder ??? (joke)

I'll be getting an early night tonight.
We have racing to watch ... all weekend !

Ototero
03-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Thanks for that insight Vaughan.

I'll be glued to the TV in the early hours of Sat and Sun. I'm a BIG fan. Button for World Champion :roll:

vaughan
03-05-2005, 02:14 AM
I have to vote for the Aussie - Mark Webber

Ototero
03-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Yes, a good driver. I remember last years celebrations when he got 2 points for Minardi.

That brought tears to my eyes :oops:

AMDave
03-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Webber to start in 3rd.

The V8 Supercards are on now...must go.

and to cellebrate the occasion, DMMc - STOMP :!: hehe :)

AMDave
03-05-2005, 11:45 PM
Mark Skaife (HOLDEN) wins race 3 in the V8 series !!!
Great to see the HOLDEN colours back in front, eh Vaughan ? :P

For the F1, it looks like corners 5 (slow) and 8 (fast) are where things are most likely to get interesting, that is if they can all get through the first turn.

The track is dry (for now...we are talking about Melbourne here...known in song for "Four Seasons in one Day") and if it stays that way the race will be fast. The V8's just got up to some good top speeds.

vaughan
03-06-2005, 01:04 AM
Holden - bah humbug.

AMDave
03-06-2005, 01:31 AM
ROFL :lol: ROFL :lol: ROFL :lol: ROFL :lol: ROFL :lol:
Its like the whole AMD and non-AMD thing, but on wheels.

Awwwww. No one crashed out in the celebrity race.
Nice turn of speed in those little BMW Coupes !

It's getting CLOOUUUUUUUDDDYYYY !
and the temperature has dropped.
Will it rain ?
Given that it's Melbourne - 90% probability. :shock:

AMDave
03-06-2005, 03:41 AM
The rain stayed away, for a great race.

Congratulations to Renault & Fisichella on a fine win.

Webber finished in 5th.

It was interesting to see some of the new rules in play. Some drivers outside of the points pulling out before the finish...so the team does not get tied into the new rule of having to run the same engine for two races - they are allowed to change the engine if they don't finish.

The race was truly dominated by cars on Michelin tyres. This year the cars must finish the whole race on the same set of tyres - no tyre stops only fuel stops. The Bridgestone techs were in the pits taking measurements. They have some work to do. This rule could develop into some risky situations. I am sure the teams have made their objections about the safety of this requirment.

A great race.