PDA

View Full Version : WCG News

AMDave
07-25-2013, 01:23 AM
Maintenance Outage on Sunday July 28th from 3:00 UTC until 6:00 UTC.
We are going to be expanding our storage for our databases and must stop them during this timeframe. As a result, the website and BOINC grid will be unavailable during this time.

More... (http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,35423)

AMDave
07-25-2013, 02:23 PM
I guess they intend to keep the old project results online for a while. Plus the upcoming projects may need more disk space

The result output - what we send back to the server - might be small, but the un-processed data generators & post-processing can use great gobbets of bits.
If they are also held in databases then this would be a definite need, but it could also just be their stats databases.
They don't make any distinction on that aspect.
If either are approaching or over 80% you'd want to have more headroom.

Don't forget that adding an Android client is going to result in many thousands of new hosts; hosts being one of the biggest tables in a BOINC database.
I have seen the news about the Android BOINC client spreading into general news media

It will be interesting to see what happens next (aside from the admins going "Holy bat sh!t Batman! We need more disk space!" :P
Likely they are just covering the possibility that the new android client might go viral and blow their disk availability clean out of the data center :)
Given that the new android client was being paired with the FightAids@Home sub-project, I'd expect some significant uptake as well, even for a short period.