PDA

View Full Version : Asteroids@home News

AMDave
08-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Server maintenance
There is a maintenance being in progress, server will be stopped for a few hours. It should be working again at about 18:00 UTC.Radim Van

More... (http://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/forum_thread.php?id=176)

Dirk Broer
08-28-2013, 10:44 PM
Famous last words.....It's now the 29th, and the server is still down

Brucifer
08-29-2013, 12:55 AM
ya I don't know what their problem has been but they have been having server issues since the 24th on and off and then starting last night and today it has been really rough. Haven't been able to upload anything for twelve hours or so or download anything. Too bad, things were rocking along pretty smooth there prior to the 24th. Can't get to their web site, so maye there are ISP issues as well. I've got two different ISP feeds into the house, and they both connect to the internet via different routes and both are unable. go figure.... lol

Terry1953
08-29-2013, 04:13 PM
Starting to wonder if they just didn't pay their light bill and got shut down.

Terry1953
08-29-2013, 06:33 PM
Well they're back up and over 400,000 wu to send. But no messages about what happened yet.

Dirk Broer
08-29-2013, 08:09 PM
Well they're back up and over 400,000 wu to send. But no messages about what happened yet.

Must have been Brucifer's ferocious output:

Server failures in last few days
I am very sorry for troubles with server. Server got to its limit and his capacity was very overloaded so there were many failures. The failures are partially solved now, database is temporarily moved to another server and its load is very decreased so server is functional now. Also there is going to be new server soon so I will notice again about the specific date when there is migration going to be.

Radim Vančo (Kyong)

Terry1953
08-29-2013, 08:43 PM
Yup! I think he blew the poor little things mind. And it committed suicide.

Brucifer
08-29-2013, 11:50 PM
I lost a bunch of work. Had to shut down for the trip, and all the stuff would have been expired by the time I got back........ :-(
Win some lose some, that's the way the cookie crumbles. Was really getting stoked before the server had it's problems. Was ready to go buy another one of them snappy little crunching machines. As it turned out it was good that I didn't as the girl's car took a dive and ended up having to dump five hundred into that to fix it so there went my plans for a new toy. So back it is to slowly stuffing the old piggy bank to save up again. So anyway happy crunching y'all and hopefully will be back at it in a week and a half or so. :-)

Terry1953
08-30-2013, 01:32 AM
Have a good trip Bruce.

Brucifer
08-30-2013, 08:29 PM
Well I got a few extra hours of crunching in. The spouse just came in and told me to shut down, and get ready to leave. So we are off. :-)

Dirk Broer
08-30-2013, 10:07 PM
I can remember the good old days (beginning of this century) when I was only crunching
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z8bOsCY7SQ, went to Greece for three weeks and let the computer running -disconnected from the internet-.
Came back, connected to the internet again -still using dial-in ISDN back then- and uploaded one big s**tload of credits (relatively, it was but a Pentium-I 200 -or my venerable K6III-400@450- without GPU).
In those days you still could place AMD or Intel CPUs in the same mobo! The same board also worked with IDT WinChip CPUs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinChip), the Cyrix MII (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrix_6x86) and the Rise MP6 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP6)

Terry1953
08-31-2013, 01:43 AM
I had to shut down for a couple of weeks in June when Jen and I toured the west, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, Grand Tetons.... and about 16 states in all. Maybe while Bruce is gone I can catch him in Asteroids.

Brucifer
09-01-2013, 01:34 AM
Heh heh heh...... Go for it Terry!!!! I am down here in Sun River, OR just having a good relaxing time. But I miss having my computers to commune with. All I brought along is my iPad mini. My sinuses are sure giving me fits though.

Terry1953
09-01-2013, 04:05 AM
Well have a great time. I know what you mean about the sinuses, I had a raw breathing system the whole time I was out there in the mountains due to the lack of humidity. I was just starting to get used to it when we started home. I don't think I have enough cores to get the type of scores you do but I'll throw some of them on it.

Brucifer
09-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Reality is that a person just can't be super good at all of the projects... just too many of them for starters. Then some chips do well on some and not worth a hoot on others. If I'm crunching asteroids then that's about all I can crunch other than a couple systems on rc5 cause they are terrible on most other stuff. For instance on the systems that I have iTunes on, I can't run boinc. Take iTunes off and boinc runs fine. So I have one system now that I keep my music on and no crunchin. Then another one is just pitiful at asteroids, and other stuff so that has a passive cooling GPS in it that I leave om rc5. I have a couple new 4 core intels that do really well on asteroids. So I have been putting most of my stuff on asteroids just to try and get some points. Won't go far though cause at some point Vaughan is going to spring back to life. And I'm sure he will knock me out of the saddle. Lol. But mainly I crunch at it cause we need to keep an eye out for those. Things zinging by spaceship earth. :-)

Terry1953
09-01-2013, 05:57 PM
I know what you mean about there being to many of them. I really only crunch 1 thing and that's Moo, the rest is just somewhere to put the CPU's while the GPU's do Moo. If I ever get this stupid shed finished I can start adding more systems and GPU's so I can kick Mikey to the curb in the next year or so. I have everyone here whining about it being to cool in the house because I have to run the air to keep systems cool. lol BTW that's a great looking golf course there where you are and the Aquatic Center has to have some great viewing with all those people in it.

Brucifer
09-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Funny you should mention the aqua center... Yes it is packed. Yes there is some scenery. Yes there is even some world class scenery..... and also some that can permanently damage the eyes too. I just happened to pedal past there while I was out geocaching earlier today. Lol

You need to just install an a/c for your computer room. That's what I did. However in hindsight I should have got a larger unit and heavy duty sound baffles..... Say a ten ton unit then I could have lots of gpu's running. Lol. But then one would have to spend one's whole life working just to feed the crunchers and a/c.

I don't golf. But I gather there are three courses here, plus what's in Bend, OR too. I have tried to talk the wife into just moving down here but no such luck. Her grand kids would be too far away for her to run over to visit. That's the way it goes you know. Lol

Terry1953
09-02-2013, 03:17 AM
I have friends that geocache but, they do it in 4wd Jeeps. I have a 30,000 btw window unit that will go into my computer room in the shed. At the moment the puters are in my and my son's bedrooms and to keep it cool in here the rest of the house gets a little chilly. lol I know how it goes with kids, we moved to TN years ago because this is where I wanted to end up and we figured if the kids were from here it would always be easier later on and it is.

Brucifer
09-02-2013, 03:45 AM
I still have a son living in Millington, TN. He married a local girl. Their kids have gone through the school system there. I went through "A" school, then taught there before retiring from the nav. Would have stayed there myself buy the wife hated it. She's now an ex, as of 22years ago. I am pretty much just into the Toyota 4x4's now. Have an 86 that is in the process of replacing the IFS with leaf springs and a straight axle now. Mainly because the guys that I wheel with locally all run toyota's so it keeps the parts issues on the trail much easier. Sounds like u have a handle on the a/c for the crunching!! :-)

Terry1953
09-02-2013, 06:16 AM
NAS Millington was always my #1 on my "dream sheet" every year back in the Marine Corps.... never did get it. After I qualified for the to dumb to duck medal in SE Asia I was sent to Quantico for programming school while they kept doing surgeries on my leg. The Marines don't care to much for non runners, once the leg was as good as it was going to get they gave me walking papers and I went to McDonnell Douglas Automation in St. Louis. Took early retirement when Boeing bought them out. Messed around a couple of years and ended up here. Got bored sitting home a few years ago and went to a truck driving school guess where.... the old NAS Millington, lol so I did finally get there. Couple of years in a truck and all those years of having a strange gait from one leg longer than the other and my back is shot. So now it's just wheel and crunch. We have a 2,500 acre park out at Land Between the Lakes (about 20 minutes away) and it's only $60 a year to use and always someone going because of all the young guys from Ft. Campbell are right here. They sure get paid better than we did. I have a 2000 Tj Wrangler with Dana 44's front and back w/ABS lockers running 4.10's and 35" BFG KM2's It's something Ryan (My son) and I do together.

Dirk Broer
09-02-2013, 12:15 PM
The "too dumb to duck" medal? I knew about the "dicky shot off" (DSO) of the British forces, but this was a as yet unknown award to me. Is it purple and hart shaped?

Brucifer
09-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Yes, it's purple. In this state they have a special license plate for it which has been around for quite a few years. But it's a hard way to get a special plate. :-( All in all though Uncle Sugar seems to have worked out pretty well how long a body is useful to them. All the retired military I know around here are all diabetics. The old boys that aren't are all civilians.

We don't have a good wheeling park like that around us. About everything around here has been closed. The state has really cut into the parks due to it's self imposed budget issues. So I (and lots of others) have cut way back on the hard core crawlers that have to be trailered. Thus my selling my YJ and the build on the Toyota. This one is remaining street legal with weekend wheeling in mind. There is some stuff within driving range in Oregon that we can get to, plus a wheeling park by Spokane, and some places in Northern Idaho. However it is pretty limited compared to what we had available 15 years ago. And last but not least, it was getting hard for me to climb into my hard core Toyota, so I sold that also.

Wheeling has been fun, but the computers have been the main focus of my life in the service, and post military employment, and also as my main hobby. It's something that I can do year round, and its quite good at keeping my wallet empty. Lol.

Terry1953
09-02-2013, 10:01 PM
Yup Dirk you got it in one. We wouldn't still have the park either but about a hundred of us from four different wheeling clubs donate our time to keep the trails up. And we have a Cannon ball park here that the US is going to keep up anyway so there are rangers that beg to work out at the wheeling park just to get out of giving walking tours of Fort Donaldson. The getting in and out of the Jeep isn't as easy as it used to be but I have Summit Racing seats and once in and strapped in it's like being in a body cast so my back does alright if I leave the getting totally nuts things to Ryan. I want to do it for a couple of more years but then I think it'll just become Ryan's toy. We have about six offroad parks in driving distance (2 hours) but we pretty well stay at Turkey Bay.

Brucifer
09-09-2013, 12:07 AM
Well back home. Fired off the computers. Still had some asteroids@home work units from before I left with a deadline of tomorrow night so those systems started crunching. The ones that were out, I attempted to download new work units, two systems, and all the downloads fail. However the virus scanner updates work and some other stuff, so that puts it back to asteroids@home server....... not cool to say the least. Will try to download new stuff on the others as they run out of the old work units, and see what happens. Rather aggravating. :-(

edit: The failing downloads are on all crunchers for asteroids, and using two ISP's. The fail rate is about 90%. Other projects download just fine. On the bright side I see Terry is going great guns, and Vaughan has started crunching it again.

Terry1953
09-09-2013, 05:48 AM
Yup He has some kind of recurring problem and the downloads crap out. It was good for about a day and now it's started again. I hasn't really affected me I just pushed out the limit to 10 days and I get plenty of work even through the problems. Glad to have you back and hope you had a great time.

Brucifer
09-09-2013, 06:00 AM
My downloads just keep getting worse. So I quit trying and have moved off to experimenting with another boinc project. will see how that goes. If he gets the issue straightened around then I'll start crunching the asteroids project again. Right now I've got a test account running on simap. No probs with the downloads on that. So I'll let the systems cook on those a while and if that goes okay then I'll pop that into production. :-)

edit: This morning I had a bit better luck sucking down some work units with asteroids, so kept at it until there's several hours work in the queues of the systems. So will keep at that and try the nursemaid method as would like to help keep the team asteroid output going. :-)

Dirk Broer
09-10-2013, 07:43 AM
So you are test88!

Brucifer
09-10-2013, 05:15 PM
yup, playing with simap, but I've got everything back on asteroids now. I have a Brucifer account under simap, but can't get into it. I set that up in the future past and can't remember what I used.... But I'm not a fan of simap as everything runs like the dickens but the point system is different...... not that points is the magic incentive, but it sure helps! lol And that's proly why I forgot what I used on the old brucifer account there lol

Terry1953
09-10-2013, 09:51 PM
My downloads just keep getting worse. So I quit trying and have moved off to experimenting with another boinc project. will see how that goes. If he gets the issue straightened around then I'll start crunching the asteroids project again. Right now I've got a test account running on simap. No probs with the downloads on that. So I'll let the systems cook on those a while and if that goes okay then I'll pop that into production. :-)

edit: This morning I had a bit better luck sucking down some work units with asteroids, so kept at it until there's several hours work in the queues of the systems. So will keep at that and try the nursemaid method as would like to help keep the team asteroid output going. :-)

Bruce I just stretched my setting out and I have all I can do for the next 4 days. I don't have to worry about the server migration unless he really screws the pooch. Now I have to go work on Ryan's octo core he took it to college with him and now it's throwing BSOD's after being on for 5 mins.

Brucifer
09-10-2013, 11:35 PM
wow, bummer on the octocore. :-(

Dirk Broer
09-11-2013, 12:03 AM
Probably the cooler has become unstuck during transport

Terry1953
09-12-2013, 12:40 AM
Turns out it's fixed but dang if I can explain it. It just don't like Asteroids. Nothing gets hot unless it's somewhere on the MB that I can tell but it just won't run it. I put LHS back on it and it's running like a clock. Of course this hasn't been a computer friendly day, thunderstorms most of the day and I've owned yoyo's that haven't gone up and down this much. Now that it's dark maybe I can keep them up for awhile.

Brucifer
09-12-2013, 01:24 AM
ya...... it's strange how the computer gods work sometimes. Like there's no rhyme or reason.

Brucifer
09-12-2013, 02:10 PM
So it appears the server is broke again, and no more work to do..... Was just getting the production up again too. Bummer.

Terry1953
09-12-2013, 03:12 PM
Yup I'm starting to think the son's octo core is the only one around here with any sense due to it's refusal to run this.

Brucifer
09-12-2013, 06:06 PM
lol..... isn't that the truth. So I've got them on simap again. Changed the test88 account over to brucifer. As for asteroids, I guess they get to start in on the server crossover a day early, or else we get an extended day of no-workie. So will see if the new server works, otherwise I think that it will be about time to find something else to crunch instead of asteroids. This is about par for the course though with my luck on boinc projects, and is why I just haven't been a fan of them.

Terry1953
09-12-2013, 06:29 PM
I still have a few days worth of work on most of my machines. If they run out before it comes back up I think I'll go back to NFS.

Brucifer
09-14-2013, 05:53 PM
So has the server upgrade been completed? Anyone know? Last thing on the site was that they would try it on the 13th. Meanwhile, just crunching work units while they are sending them out. lol

Dirk Broer
09-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Last thing on the site was that they would try it on the 13th.
"Unfortunately, due to the yesterday's power outage I had to solve some other problems that appeared today so I move the migration to the other week, propably on wednesday"
Lucky Friday, the 13th....

Brucifer
09-25-2013, 04:54 PM
It appears that the move to the new server didn't go well. One would think that they would have at least made a few comments around the web on some of the team sites to let folks know what is going on, but apparently that is asking a bit too much I fear.

Terry1953
09-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Very true Bruce, it's not that hard to let people know. I have about 5 days worth of work on 4 or 5 systems done that might not get any use. I really ticks me off. Even if he comes back up now I don't see me ever putting another machine on it. I moved some to pogs and 1 or 2 to other things.

Brucifer
09-25-2013, 11:40 PM
It is back up now. However I think I'm just going to pass on it. Been bitten too many times already on this project with machines sitting idle, etc. Their loss.

Terry1953
09-26-2013, 01:10 AM
I agree I'm not going back. Might be different if he had at least tried to communicate in the last few days. I just wonder how many he'll end up losing because of this.

Nflight
11-30-2015, 10:25 PM
I went back and now the points are quite different, a lot higher values I would say. I think it took me 3 or 4 weeks of non stop crunching to reach 10,000 points, Today I think I reach 10,000 points in less than 12 hours. So the story continues I should be able to reach 1,000,000 in 2 or 3 months at this rate! and pass both of you by April or May if I keep going at this project. :blob3:

Nflight
12-01-2015, 10:04 PM
Looking at Dirks figures and tallying up the details I should be able to muster 27,000 pts. per day, if it were not for the pending validation which is really lining up a hoard of unrewarded work units. Oh the tragedy :blob3:

Dirk Broer
12-01-2015, 10:32 PM
27,000 pts. per day is a realistic goal, of my ten best day-scores six were even higher than that -having a peak at 35,000 one day.
And pending validation will pay off, some day...

Brucifer
12-02-2015, 06:51 AM
Okay, I have put a system on this again in hopes that I don't end up losing more crunched points as it has been a while since I tried it.

Nflight
12-03-2015, 05:51 PM
Brucifier you are really churning and burning on the work units, Nice Job My friend ! :blob3:

Dirk Broer
12-03-2015, 09:46 PM
Brucifier you are really churning and burning on the work units, Nice Job My friend ! :blob3:

There's a shape growing in my rearview mirror (http://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/team_members.php?teamid=15&offset=0&sort_by=total_credit)......

Brucifer
12-04-2015, 07:33 PM
Well gang, I put another system on it the night before last. I just hope this doesn't turn into a fiasco like it did before. So now I have the octacore on it, running 16 threads... and a 4-core. The octocore basically puts out the same whether running 8-core with no threading or going with 16 threads. The 4-core puts out half of the octocore. Previously I had been concentrating more on gpu stuff, milkyway@home and collatz. Of course gpu's mean lots of heat, whish stresses the a/c system and the power bill, etc., etc., so I'm now looking more at cpu crunching for the most part. Asteroids is an important (to me anyway) thing that can have drastic implications and that's why I originally started on this project. I have some other crunching to finish up and then I can throw another4core on this. Then I need to make some time to put another system together that I just picked up the parts for, a fast 4-core, and that will most likely be the extent of my "power" computing. Lol. I also picked up a monitor for my B+ rspberry-pi which I need to put some effort into. However "Dirty Dirk" :-) keeps posting stuff on all these other low power so it seems that there is always more stuff out there to play with than there are hours in the day! Lol. So there's always something to mess around with. I wish I had the assets to get into this stuff to the extent Vaughan does but sadly that's just not in my house of cards. As I look around the various cpu crunching boinc projects I'll proly end up adding one or two more, which will cut down on asteroids, just time will tell. But as time goes by I'm getting more and more back into the DC world after my 2+ years for forced retirement. :-)

Dirk Broer
12-04-2015, 09:34 PM
There's a shape growing in my rearview mirror (http://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/team_members.php?teamid=15&offset=0&sort_by=total_credit)......

KIRK: It's gaining!
SPOCK: Exactly. We must be prepared to respond instantly to any sudden change.
KIRK: Engine room from Bridge.
SCOTT [OC]: Scott here, Captain.
KIRK: Tie into the helm, Scotty. If we should call for power, we'll want it fast.
SCOTT [OC]: No problem, sir. You'll have it.

Brucifer
12-04-2015, 10:27 PM
hmmmmmmmm..........

make it so.

To no avail.... bwahahahahaha

Nflight
12-04-2015, 11:00 PM
AMDave - I know your serious about that # of Boks your collecting but you were a speed bump and I never slowed down. It wasn't personal it was necessary to win the game.
Brucifier - I am curious of this Octocore what CPU are you running anyway. I might like to save my pennies and channel some effort towards one of those, Your impressing the rest of us and scaring the heck out of DIRK.
Dirk - you have no choice but to be scared, If you were in the desert you could look back and see one of those funny spelled dust storms in your rear view mirror, A Ha-boob or something like that.

Brucifier = your herd is seriously impressing the heck out of me, I thought you had at least 64 cores shaking the ground. Now I hear its only 8, seriously Wow!

Dirk Broer
12-05-2015, 12:36 AM
hmmmmmmmm..........

make it so.

To no avail.... bwahahahahaha

Poor Godzilla. One of us will catch him first, the other will trample him later.....

Dirk Broer
12-05-2015, 12:43 AM
So now I have the octacore on it, running 16 threads...

Ah! A socket 2011-3 i7 (or even a Xeon? No, it's the 3.0 GHz i7-5960X of course!). Serious hardware, way above my league....
I need at least 5 quads to keep up with you. Hmmmm, not impossible...
Where's that promised AMD Zen CPU?

Brucifer
12-05-2015, 03:27 PM
Sigh..... also picked up a 4790K, 4ghz, which I need to put together yet. My farm was getting way out of date. So just trying to add some stuff that isn't so thirsty on the power bill. Gotta phase out the old stuff. @Kirk, the 5960X was my one time stab at a cool chip. Other than my IBM XT (Kaypro) way way back in pre-history the 5960X is the most expensive system I've purchased.

Nflight
12-05-2015, 04:20 PM
I think we need an infusion of Disney characters in this ongoing post. Brucifier would care to be the Rabbit in the movie Bambi? Your alerting every Animal in the forest that trouble is coming. Also Dirk would you mind being the three little pigs ? Or Brucifier would you like to pay the character of the Big Bad Wolf in this case as I can easily switch to the Bambi Character and warn everyone about the trouble this time!!? Its been nearly six months and I feel we could energize our Forums a bit this Holiday season. Comments please...!!!

Dirk Broer
12-05-2015, 07:39 PM
We should rally Godzilla, his position is under threat. Perhaps we should have other monster names too: King Kong, (the Monster of) Frankenstein, The Golem, The Mummie. Take your pick...

Nflight
12-05-2015, 09:50 PM
Yes Dirk that sounds good but the amount of traffic that came to our forums when we mentioned the effort of the three little pigs and the Wolf was nearly 20,000 hits per day wasn't it?
Just trying to be creative... Not to offend !

:blob3:

Dirk Broer
12-05-2015, 10:49 PM
I've posted several things that scored more than 30,000 hits, amongst them the Big Bad Wolf vs the Little Piglets. But the Raspberry Pi, Banana Pi and Low-Power War postings also went to such hights. This present posting is already past 7,000 views, by the way. People seem to like in-team competitions and/or hardware reviews!
Asteroids-wise this is the second best scoring forum posting, only the 'Best CPUs for Asteroids@Home' scored better.

Brucifer
12-05-2015, 10:58 PM
Remember, Dirk already accused me of going over to the dark side...... Intel chips and all. lol

Dirk Broer
12-05-2015, 11:03 PM
Remember, Dirk already accused me of going over to the dark side...... Intel chips and all. lol

Is that you, Anakin? Darth Vader? Palpatine? Sauron?

Brucifer
12-05-2015, 11:38 PM
Smaug I am...

Dirk Broer
12-05-2015, 11:56 PM
Smaug I am...

"My armour is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords, my claws spears, the shock of my tail is a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!" ... Smaug was a "great" fire drake of the Third Age, considered to be the last "great" dragon to exist in Middle Earth.

Nflight
12-06-2015, 05:49 PM
I am going to have to read up on Smaug, sorry no comprende :(

Nflight
12-06-2015, 07:00 PM
I decided to reach out to Trevor Christian on Asteroids Project and ask if he would friend me, he has. What surprises me is that this guy has ARM computers connected to Asteroids, not one but many, single cores, dual cores, Androids etc. plus two AMD based older computers. Dirk you might like to request friendship and start talking Raspberry Pi as you might just find a man with serious enthusiasm. I total 7 systems he has connected to asteroids. Only the AMD computers are churning out pts at this time! :blob3: I sent a message including stopping by our Web Site but that was when I asked to friend him also, now I wonder if he is afraid of our Monstrous Web Site?

Dirk Broer
12-06-2015, 07:26 PM
I have 11 systems at Asteroids, amongst them a single-core BeagleBone Black (Android 4.4) and a quad-core Raspberry Pi2 (My stock one, running Debian Wheezy).
None are didicated though, as I have to watch my clanks (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=mmakers&subproj=clanks) (#6 world-wide) and subclanks (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=mmakers&subproj=sclanks) (#1 world-wide)....

Dirk Broer
12-06-2015, 07:35 PM
I am going to have to read up on Smaug, sorry no comprende :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYOJZm0FXPw

Brucifer
12-06-2015, 07:51 PM
My favorite smaug was the animated one with Richard Boone doing the talking. Just loved that one! :-)

It's good you are pushing the the ARM stuff Nflight & Dirk!! :-)

Dirk Broer
12-06-2015, 10:19 PM
My favorite smaug was the animated one with Richard Boone doing the talking. Just loved that one! :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWVeZx2IP30

It's good you are pushing the the ARM stuff Nflight & Dirk!! :-)
Don't forget Chris Skull, he's our ARM champion at the moment -or Vaughan must have more than 16 ARM cores running...

Brucifer
12-07-2015, 04:06 AM
yuppers! lol

Nflight
12-07-2015, 03:12 PM
Run Piglet Run, He has almost caught you the Big Bad Wolf of course !

Dirk Broer
12-07-2015, 04:00 PM
Run Piglet Run, He has almost caught you the Big Bad Wolf of course !

Don't I just see it....Piglet, caught between a rock and a hard place, aka Godzilla and Smaug/Bid Bad Wolf.

Nflight
12-07-2015, 06:19 PM
Dirk What is up with these Badges? At what frequency do they appear on your Stats Signature? I got one at 10,000, another at 100,000, when does the next one appear etc? Thank you in advance... :blob3:

Dirk Broer
12-07-2015, 11:24 PM
Dirk What is up with these Badges? At what frequency do they appear on your Stats Signature? I got one at 10,000, another at 100,000, when does the next one appear etc? Thank you in advance... :blob3:

Asteroids badges (http://signature.statseb.fr/index.py?badge=167):

Element
Badge
More than

Carbon

http://signature.statseb.fr/img/badge/c.png

10,000 credits

Silicon

http://signature.statseb.fr/img/badge/si.png

100,000 credits

Iron

http://signature.statseb.fr/img/badge/fe.png

500,000 credits

Nickel

http://signature.statseb.fr/img/badge/ni.png

1,000,000 credits

Cobalt

http://signature.statseb.fr/img/badge/co.png

5,000,000 credits

Palladium

http://signature.statseb.fr/img/badge/pd.png

10,000,000 credits

Gold

http://signature.statseb.fr/img/badge/au.png

50,000,000 credits

Iridium

http://signature.statseb.fr/img/badge/ir.png

100,000,000 credits

BTW: I feel like a roasted porker after Smaug passed me on his way to Godzilla....

Brucifer
12-08-2015, 12:18 AM
Wow...... you guys make me feel like I just ripped out the family jewels just for trying to get some points in this project and help the team move up from 52nd place....... :-( lol..... beep beep, lol

edit: oops, 51st place

edit edit: lol oink oink oink oink, lol love them pork chops, yum yum, bacon, yum yum, Ham, yum yum sausage, yum yum yum, oink oink LOL

Nflight
12-08-2015, 12:43 AM
Did someone say BACON, yippee !! Good Job Brucifier, very well done is my favorite type of Bacon, crispy not that fat oozing dripping half cooked crap. Sorry of I offended anyone reading this post, yea right ! :icon_twisted:

Dirk thanks for the Badges knowledge, most appreciated.

Dirk Broer
12-08-2015, 03:02 PM
Wow...... you guys make me feel like I just ripped out the family jewels just for trying to get some points in this project and help the team move up from 52nd place....... :-( lol..... beep beep, lol

We are merely admiring your crunching power and fast advance, oh Smaug...

Brucifer
12-08-2015, 05:27 PM
We are merely admiring your crunching power and fast advance, oh Smaug...

Lol...... Remember that in the end, Smaug crashed and burned.... :-) So, so much for Smaug! :-) AND, some of you are crunching tickets in multiple projects whereas I am only really active with Asteroids at present..... just to keep things in perspective. :-) Now Vaughan on the other hand is the one that is a true Jedi!!!!! The Force is with him!!!!!

Dirk Broer
12-08-2015, 08:44 PM
Now Vaughan on the other hand is the one that is a true Jedi!!!!! The Force is with him!!!!!

He is our local Obi-Wan-Kenobi, but I should be able to get the Obi-Too-Kenobi title pretty soon...if only for my clanks and subclanks :)

Brucifer
12-08-2015, 10:13 PM
Yup, the force is with you too Dirk!!! :-)

Nflight
12-10-2015, 11:46 PM
YO Mr SteamRoller !! Who will be your next victim? :blob3:

Brucifer
12-11-2015, 12:14 AM
YO Mr SteamRoller !! Who will be your next victim? :blob3:

The next in line of course. Just gonna take a while! lol

Brucifer
12-12-2015, 08:27 PM
The team is getting some good output! Hopefully we can start climbing back up the rankings. :-)

Dirk Broer
12-12-2015, 09:34 PM
We were once 3rd...(2012-10-26), now we have risen from 52nd to 51st.
Team Picard (now 49th) should fall to us within 10 days, at present rate.

Nflight
12-13-2015, 12:02 AM
I am not going anywhere for quote sometime, so we might get 4 or 5 higher ranks if we keep at it ! :blob3:

Nflight
12-18-2015, 01:36 PM
Looks Like I Spoke to soon. The Server has run dry, there are no more work units and I am almost out, No no no !!

Brucifer
12-18-2015, 04:58 PM
yup, been noticing that things aren't right for a couple days now and this morning things are dry. So I have moved over to NFS... What other stuff to run (CPU) that is solid??

And here we are with no communication to the crunchers again, seems as this is where I exited like in 2013 or whatever it was. :-(

Dirk Broer
12-18-2015, 09:37 PM
Drat, the 16-thread juggernaut now goes loose on NFS.....what to do?
Buy a dual Socket G34 mobo (500 Euro) and two 12-core Opteron 6172 (181 Euro each)?
Buy a single Socket G34 mobo (262 Euro) and a 16-core Opteron 6370P (645 Euro)?

Both options cost about 860-900 Euro (Mobo and CPU only) and give 24, respectively 16 threads.

I can also buy a pile of Odroids/Raspberries/Bananas for that amount of money, a huge pile even...
If we set the price of a Raspi2 or Odroid C1+ at 40 Euro's I could buy 22 of those, that's 88 cores/theads.
Pity is that they do not do NFS, as NFS is a x86 paradise, application-wise.

The AM1 platform then? I can setup 8 AM1 boxes for that amount of money (Mobo and SOC only), that's 32 CPU threads plus 8 GPU threads....
I think I will build that AM1 box based upon a white Bitfenix Prodigy, of which I've written before.

Brucifer
12-19-2015, 06:51 PM
Well Dirk, I wouldn't go berserk yet.......... not quite....... yet...... I couldn't get any asteroids downloaded a few minutes ago so I am assuming that things are still AFU for ateroids@home. And that is really why I'm crunching NFS@home. Points wise asteroids is much more generous than NFS. However just looking at NFS only, the 16-threader puts out a respectable number of work units a day. I don't mind sieving though. Used to do a *lot* of it. :-) But it's sounding like you are leaning towards a cpu/core war on NFS??? :-)

Dirk Broer
12-19-2015, 11:17 PM
But it's sounding like you are leaning towards a cpu/core war on NFS??? :-)

No no no! I have other goals, mostly milestone- and badge-wise...
Nearest NFS milestone (badge-wise) is the 5,000,000 mark, too far away...

Nflight
12-20-2015, 12:12 AM
Work Units a plenty back at Asteroids, Weeee ! We're Back :blob3: Yippee :blob3:

Brucifer
12-20-2015, 04:49 AM
Yup, I see that Nflight. I've got a bunch of NFS units to cut through though. I'll proly leave one system with three open cores on NFS, and the other core feeding the gpu on RC5. That will put me with 20 threads on asteroids. I really need to get another system put together and get that onto asteroids. I keep saying that The issue though is heat from the gpu's...... and I'm not ready to shut down stuff on RC5. :-(

Nflight
12-20-2015, 11:45 AM
There are now over 1,300,000 work units available at Asteroids. Now if you look at your hoard of Work Units that are pending you will find that a majority are pending, which is no problem at all since most of my excessive points collected during the outage came from pending work units scoring. A very good thing but I was hoping for higher values my first day back, none the worry though it all works out in the end.

Dirk Broer
12-20-2015, 12:00 PM
I really need to get another system put together and get that onto asteroids.

I recall you had a i7-4770 somewhere lying around?

Brucifer
12-20-2015, 05:26 PM
I recall you had a i7-4770 somewhere lying around?

i7-4790K 4.0ghz, 16g memory, asus B85M-G r2.0 MB. Didn't get a solid state drive though..... ran out of money. lol WD Blue 1TB drive, win7pro. All I have to do is clean up the mess in mt computer room to make some room for it and figure out what I want to unplug, most likely a Q6600 as I don't have any of my old amd quads running any more. And ya I know, if I'd have done away with the win7 and used linux I could have got the solid state...... That's on my to-do list. Haven't been dinking with linux in over 3 years since the hospital stuff.

And I need to spec out an amd multi-core system to run linux on and use that for hunting primes as I've been off that for a long time too. But I'm outta touch with amd processors too.. lol. It's taken me quite a while to get the brain delving back into the computer world again.

Dirk Broer
12-20-2015, 09:45 PM
Q6600 vs i7-4790K (http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/705/Intel_Core_2_Quad_Q6600_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-4790K.html)

Brucifer
12-21-2015, 05:13 PM
Ahhhhhhh...... Now those asteroids work units are working through the systems again so the stats should start reflecting that. Hopefully we won't run out of work again. :-)

Dirk Broer
12-21-2015, 07:32 PM
Ahhhhhhh...... Now those asteroids work units are working through the systems again so the stats should start reflecting that. Hopefully we won't run out of work again. :-)

Actively running 44 projects (and 36 sub-projects) at the moment, never a dull moment...

Brucifer
12-22-2015, 12:41 AM
unto each their own. :-)

Brucifer
12-22-2015, 10:18 PM
Ah boy, seems like you get ahead at something a little bit and then something comes along and knocks you back a bit. Sp today's drill is a USB KVM that decided now was the time for it to crap out. And in my drawers of computer stuff alas no kvm resides. And this town has a paucity of kvm switches around. So was a bit of a mad dash to get the producing systems with keyboards and mice. Meanwhile the room looks absolutely trashed and the spouse will have some charming comments to say about that. So other than that minor inconvenience the day seems to be chugging right along. Looks like tomorrow we will move up a spot in the stats. :-)

Dirk Broer
12-23-2015, 09:46 AM
All my KVM switches are PS/2 and VGA based. Got three of them: a 2-port (found), a 4-port (bought 2nd hand with 3 cables) and a 8-port (bought 2nd hand with 8 cables).
USB and DVI based KVM switches are expensive, might as well go straight to IP-based KVM switches.

Brucifer
12-23-2015, 10:28 PM
Not a good coupla days here. Woke up this morning to a frozen system, the one I used for surfing, etc., and this system had multiple freezes and bsod's last night. So it's tired. The day has been spent bringing another system on line to replace it. It's was running an Intel MB. Not really a fan of them. May try to get an Asus LGA1155 for the cpu, put linux on it. Will see. Made the mistake of heading out to rge food store for the spouse..... what a total madhouse. :-(

Dirk Broer
12-23-2015, 11:01 PM
Intel is supposed to go out of business, motherboard-wise that is. We have only one store here in Leiden that sells Intel mobos. Affiliate (the banner that won't show above as it seems stuck at Amazon.com) Newegg still has two for you (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007627%2050001157%20600093976).
An ASUS board with either a Z68 or -preferably- a Z77 chipset will give the most bang for your buck, especially when you are into SLI/Crossfire, overclocking, etc.

Brucifer
12-24-2015, 02:37 AM
Thank you Dirk. :-)

Nflight
12-24-2015, 11:17 AM
As for dealing with KVM switches I have asked my computer dude about his and he has had the same one for nearly 20 years it seems. But he paid nearly $1,000 for it. The better the quality the longer they last it seems. Dirk you are amazing, accuracy in providing information at all times of the day too!

Brucifer
12-24-2015, 05:04 PM
Yup, I have an old Belkin OmniView 4port kvm that I've had for years and years. The usb one only made it a year.... Well so far the asteroids work units seem to be flowing good again!!! :-)

Nflight
12-26-2015, 06:42 PM
Oopsy - Asteroids Web Site is down, no finished work units are uploading :(