PDA

View Full Version : Sneakernet

SB2
03-09-2005, 01:37 AM
Have not had to do any sneakernetting since my Genome@Home days, so looking for a good (read as easy :) ) project to run offline at work. Machine is a P4.

vaughan
03-09-2005, 02:29 AM
I'm sure AMDave can help.

Some suggestions are DNet (RC5-72 and/or OGR25-P2) or DPAD (Muon1). A little bit harder is D2OL or TSC (but not impossible to seakernet). Its a pity you don't have any net access for your P4 as SOB loves P4s.

AMDave
03-09-2005, 01:00 PM
Indeed.

Dnet provide sneakernet instructions via their FAQ.

Also, if you are inclined, you can use SetiGRID to d/l & process many Seti Classic WUs, then sneaker net [d/l, suspend, copy across, run, suspend, copy back & upload, repeat]
NB - they have a time limit as mentioned in their docs and on the Seti Website.

As vaughan says, DPAD can also be sneakernet'd in much the same way as Dnet. No short timeout on the WUs, but it will want to refresh the project server list (really small file) each time you update after more than 24 hours.

I have found that you can also sneakernet Zeta, if you can get through the sign up woes * hint UID must be your email address in full * After you have processed a certain number of zeros, you are then allowed to increase your cache to up to 10 WUs. Then if you d/l the largest WU size, it can run for days. NB - time limit on a Zeta WU is 7 days, so you'd have to sneakernet every few days so they don't expire.

D2OL and TSC (but not both at the same time) can be sneakernet'd if you pay heed to the sub-folders.

SoB, is really sensitive. If you have a similar processor then I am told it can be done after SoB has been installed once (requiring a connection) on the sneaker machine. then go back to the Internet connected machine, start the WU, stop it, copy the whole folder-set across to the sneaker, run without intermediate updates and flag not to collect a new WU when done. When it has got to the end, stop & restart...it will go back a couple of blocks, then stop and exit, copy the folder set back to the Internet machine. Restart it there with flag set to collect new wu & repeat.
NB - I have not tried this as I don't have 2 CPUs the same, although I have inadvertently tried a copy of the folders to a different CPU type when I moved a HDD to another machine & it junked the WU and went to fetch another.

I don't know about FaH or Fad.

SB2
03-10-2005, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the replies, Dnet is not a problem several months of OGR stubs will fit on a floppy just fine. But seeing as P4's pretty much sux at Dnet I was considering other options..I'm sure something like DPAD would fair better.

AMDave
03-10-2005, 12:24 PM
give it a go and see how it runs.

I have it working just fine on a couple of machines, using the "background" cmd-file.

Don't forget to insert [AMD Users] infront of your name so the team grouping on stephen's result host will pick up your WUs ok.