PDA

View Full Version : OProject@Home News

AMDave
09-08-2013, 08:51 PM
BOINC Stock Exchange - discussion
Dear fellows! I would like to raise in public the possibility of opening the BOINC Stock Exchange. Because of the desire to launch a public debate on the subject I decided to create a thread on this and several other forums of BOINC teams. BOINC Stock Exchange would act in the same way as regular exchange with one difference that there would be a rotation of BOINC credits instead of money. In that case everyone could sell or buy credits of a chosen project for price set by the rights of the exchange rate. This topic is quite controversial but I’m counting on a productive exchange of views. I’d like to ask you also to take part in the survey. You can cast your vote supporting the idea of BOINC Stock Exchange or against it. The survey can be found at the bottom of the page http://atom.oproject.info/bse/index.php#pull. The concept of BOINC Stock Exchange is a very wide subject and it’s impossible to put it in only one post. However, I hope that the sixteen following questions and answers will bring you closer the idea. These points contain many concepts (sometimes mutually exclusive). You shouldn’t understand them as a one and only coherent vision of the BOINC Stock Exchange – these are rather different examples of problems and possible attempts of resolving them.

More... (http://oproject.info/forum_thread.php?id=165)

Dirk Broer
09-08-2013, 10:00 PM
I'm against this proposal! What's next, Nobel-prize stock exchange? Unemployment benefit stock exchange?
All stock exchanges are just trade in hot air.

NeoGen
09-14-2013, 11:40 PM
Dirk, you may not be too far from the truth, people like to pick existing concepts and clone them for other purposes, this one for example seems to have ties with the Bitcoin model (cloned to BOINC).

The funny thing is everybody dreams of being rich and many jump into stock exchanges but 99% of the people don't make much out of it and most even have losses, but on the other hand the stock exchanges (or those who operate them) are always profiting no matter if the stocks go up or down.

Like I read one time on a website "During the gold rush days, the people who truly got rich were the shovel and pickaxe makers".

But I'm with you Dirk, I don't like it either, I gave it a 3/10 on the voting for this Boinc Stock exchange just because the guy seemed to put some time and effort into the idea.

Brucifer
09-15-2013, 02:47 AM
I'm not in favor of it either. First off it would have a destabilizing impact on the teams, and tempers get really hot on team positions and points in a real hurry. Another issue is that it would put the whole crunching thing under the legal eye, as has happened with the bitcoin thing. That little issue is still being worked around by some governmental departments. Thirdly it just reduces everything down to "money". So as I see it, the crunching hobby will go away as it presently exists. Then you have the issue of some folks using corporate assets..... and that opens up a whole new bag of worms for misappropriation issues. One of the comments on the board mentioned setting low prices at 75% of cost of production, well the costs vary all over the usa, as well as in other countries too. An last but not least, it would require some changes to boinc, and I doubt D.A. would be for that at all as he keeps a pretty tight lid on the boinc code.

On the vote I gave it a "0".

Terry1953
09-15-2013, 02:04 PM
I don't like it either. I do this for a hobby! I don't need someone to turn it into work or anything resembling work. If I wanted to be that competitive I'd go out in the back yard and enter a Bass Tournament. It's kind of like the old, old Olympics and the new Olympics, amateurs vs. pros. Today if your just a very good runner that is an everyday Mailman you have no chance to compete in the Olympics because you can't train 24/7 with multiple coaches and multi million dollar training facilities while being supported by someone else. Like I always told my son about High School sports, "It's just a game enjoy it and don't try or let some coach make it anything more."