PDA

View Full Version : News from Sweden

Lagu
03-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Hello Vaughan, Emty_5oul et all!

First sad news :cry:
Today morning I temporary interrupted SOB, because Explorer don’t work well. When I come to AMD users site I couldn’t see the buttons on the right side. It has long been so. I found it was a failure when Win XP2 was installed. I newer had sp1. My reseller took it back and will fix it to tomorrow.
Now the happy news :D
Today I has bought a four ports router for 616 sw crowns (77 dollar) I use nou my Athlon ™ :and has connected this computer to the router and it was simple to use. I has submitted 781 WU:s to D2OL and I had forgotten that my Intel has a 10/100 Ethernet card. Now I can use all three computers at the same time.!!!!!!!!!!! :-({|=
Happy crunching forewer!
Lagu

vaughan
03-10-2005, 09:06 PM
What brand router did you purchase Lagu? I have been having problems with my Netgear RP614 recently. I just ordered a Linksys BEFSR41 4 ports DSL/Cable router for AUD85. I have had two Netgear routers and both only lasted about 2 years each, maybe its planned obsolescence.

The only other computer part I've been less than happy with was the lousy Sony Trinitron Multiscan15sfII monitor that cost be AUD750 and lasted all of 18 months. When I took it in for service when it went all red tinged the tech said they only last a year or so. I said I only used it about 12 hours a day and he said they are designed for occasional use in an iffice, max 8 hrs a day M-F so if I had 12 hrs for 18 months that's about its lifetime. By comparison, my Rank Arena colour TV circa 1978 is still going strong in 2005.

I'll never buy another Sony.

Lagu
03-10-2005, 11:02 PM
What brand router did you purchase Lagu? I have been having problems with my Netgear RP614 recently. I just ordered a Linksys BEFSR41 4 ports DSL/Cable router for AUD85. I have had two Netgear routers and both only lasted about 2 years each, maybe its planned obsolescence.

The only other computer part I've been less than happy with was the lousy Sony Trinitron Multiscan15sfII monitor that cost be AUD750 and lasted all of 18 months. When I took it in for service when it went all red tinged the tech said they only last a year or so. I said I only used it about 12 hours a day and he said they are designed for occasional use in an iffice, max 8 hrs a day M-F so if I had 12 hrs for 18 months that's about its lifetime. By comparison, my Rank Arena colour TV circa 1978 is still going strong in 2005.

I'll never buy another Sony.

I hawe bought a TRENDnet TW100-S4W1CA Cable router. (Five years warranty!)

Specifikations:
Standards: IEEE 802.3 10 BASE-T
IEEE 802.3u 100 Base-TX
ANSI/IEEE 802,3 Auto-Negotiation
Cabling: Ethernet: Cat. 3, 4, 5, UTP EIA/ITA-568 100 Ohms, 100 m max
Fast Ethernet: Cat. 5, UTP EIA/ITA-568 100 Ohms, 100 m max
Data Transfer Rate: Ethernet: 10Mbps/20Mbps (Half-Duplex/Full-duplex)
Fast Ethernet: 100Mbps/200Mbps (Half-Duplex/Full-duplex)
Network Protocols: TCP/IP, NAT, UPnP, HTTP, DCHP Servwr/Client, SNTP
Lan Port: 4 x Auto-MDIX 10/100Mbps ports
Wan Port: 1 x Auto-MDIX 10/100Mbps port
Protocol/Topology: (CSMA/CD) / Star
Diagnostic Led: Power, System; Wan, Link/ACT 100M, LAN: Link/ACT 100M
Flasch Memory: (8 Mbit
Power Consumption: 7 Watts. (Max)
Power Adapter: 7,5v DC, 1Amp
Try this link: www.trendnet.com

The router is pretty fast. I hawe 2 Mbits ADSL and it seems go faster with a router than only with the modem.

As about datamonitor. I hawe one HYUNDAI flat 17" and it kost about 412,5 US-dollar. (2,300 sw crowns). Its pretty good. My monitor is shutted off over night and the whole day. I used it 8-9 times/day.
Lagu :)

meckano
03-11-2005, 01:49 AM
Hope things go well with your computer Lagu.

I have been lucky with hardware.
My first computer was a Dell 486/33, and that is when I got hooked onto Quantum harddrives, who are now in the hands of Maxtor. It came with a Dell screen, and last time I saw them, 1 year ago, they were still rock solid.
My second monitor, a few years old now, is a Samsung SyncMaster 750s, and it is left on almost all the time, except for work. As I have said before, I am looking for work, so the monitor is on 24 hrs./day now.
- I always stretch the screen, via the monitor settings, not software settings, to its maximum.
I was hooked on ATI video cards when some other brand would not run with my AMD. This computer has the 9200, 128 Meg DDR.
Gigabyte motherboard is now my choice, but I will always remember searching the stats on the old Epox I special ordered, with the 1 Meg of secondary cache. Made my K6-2/300 real sweet.

As for modems and routers, no comment. :) lol
I am presently using an internal ITeX, aka (also known as): Daewoo.
- Cause I killed my Gnet BB0050 while trying to get it running by bypassing the password I have forgotten. lolololol

Oh yeah, ram, Corsair please, thank you. :)

Lagu
03-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Today I got to my reseller to fetch my computer but they was not clear. They don’t understand what was wrong so I tell and show them AMDusers site who has buttons to links, but as I don’t can see. I tried to download Flash player but the gold bar will not appear so I can’t download an AktiveX controller. It is hopeless. They said they must remove XP and do a reinstall. I know I may loose 2DOL and Seventeen or Busts software. I have taken backup of my own Word and Excel files and same other files. I am not happy with it. But I don’t know if I will run SOB again. I should do it if it was important but I don’t actually have an Intel P4. However I have an Intel PII 350 Mhz but it may takes many days perhaps weeks to run SOB with that rig.
Lagu :-( :-( :-( :shock:

meckano
03-11-2005, 08:06 PM
what buttons can you not see lagu?

Edit:
and on which page?

Lagu
03-11-2005, 08:51 PM
what buttons can you not see lagu?

Edit:
and on which page?

When I logged in to AMD users site (first side) there on the left side under menu it is buttons to links in this site. The menu is blanc. Now I use my other computer and Internet works very well. I can see the buttons with this PC but not with my Athlon 64. If I want to go to Members lonque I must first click on any topic and then click on the link AMD users forum.

meckano
03-11-2005, 09:06 PM
I looked at the code of that page, and
it is java calling to the macromedia website.
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0

I think it could be shockwave or flash or the java virtual machine (jvm)
I will look for a jvm page at microsoft.

Do you have problems with other pages, wait, wait...

You say it works fine on other pages here at AMD? very odd.
Then everything should be installed ok.
I will dig deeper.

Edit:
I am no programmer, but do have ability to see differences in things.
I used to study programming. :)

Edit2:
Both pages look the same.
If you refresh that first page, can you see it then?
Also wondering if you can or should reinstall flash and shockwave.
looking into it.

If you want to reinstall internet explorer, if that is what you are using, let me know, i will try to find instructions.
Are you using winXP home? I have forgotten :)

meckano
03-11-2005, 09:31 PM
I did all of the following before posting them here.

Here is link for shockwave, click on 'download'.
http://www.macromedia.com/software/shockwaveplayer/

Here is link for flashplayer, click on 'install',
maybe take the check off of Yahoo installer.
http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

Here you can test your jvm:
http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
Here you can download and install the jvm:
http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
- I chose the first button. Small download
- It told me it was already installed, but everything seems fine.

Edit:
This is the link for reinstall or repair internet explorer or outlook express.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378
- it also speaks of reinstalling SP1 and SP2, cool.
- I did not do what is written at this link.

meckano
03-11-2005, 09:35 PM
Sorry it is all english. :(
I hope it does not conflict with your system in a bad way.

Lagu
03-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Sorry it is all english. :(
I hope it does not conflict with your system in a bad way.

meckano!

Thanks for the links. I have tried this before and in another side they say if Internet does not work well I must reinstall XP home. My athlon64 comes with SP2 direct installed. I have never had sp1. This makes it imposible to repair the Internet. I have test my Athlon tm who I use right now and java is perfect. I can't test my processor because my reseller had it. I have e-mailed Jeff and he said I must have Flach player.

meckano
03-11-2005, 10:09 PM
Ok

Good luck to you, and remember,

AMD always has a way out.
#1 #1 #1 #1 #1 lol

Lagu
03-11-2005, 10:14 PM
I have tried to run stf/scannow but the system can not find it even on my old Athlon. The same problem was found on my A64. It seems as some files not exist.

Lagu
03-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Ok

Good luck to you, and remember,

AMD always has a way out.
#1 #1 #1 #1 #1 lol

Meckano!

You shall have many thanks for your engagement to try to help me out. I'am glad to have you as a member in this forum.
Thank You!
Lagu :D

meckano
03-11-2005, 11:17 PM
I think you should read this from microsoft about scannow:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=814510

Edit 1:
It is about win2000, but i find other versions are sometimes affected too, when they have a document like this.

Edit 2:
You are most welcome!
I spend my time doing research for problems. I like to know how something runs.

Edit 3:
You know that 'GO' button? It was added after I emailed microsoft about it. Sorry if you don't like. lol :)

Lagu
03-12-2005, 07:02 PM
Hallo!

As you know I have bought a router and there is settings for Quick setup and advanced setup. I choose Quick setup. There I have set time and on next side I found WAN settings who I leave blanc and on the last side I should set DNS but leave it blanc. I don’t know if I must have these settings from my ISP. I wonder because when the modem and router has been inactive over long time the modem lose its settings so I must repair this settings every day and also restart my PC.As I have think to connect 3 Pc to the router I perhaps must have other information from my ISP?
Anyone who knows about this?
Lagu :?

Lagu
03-12-2005, 07:15 PM
I forgotten to say this about WAN settings:

Settings for Host name
MAC address

DNS-settings.
Primary DNS setting
Secondary DNS-settings

vaughan
03-13-2005, 09:51 PM
Have you asked your ISP's technical support for help on this?

Lagu
03-13-2005, 10:36 PM
No

Lagu
03-14-2005, 06:38 PM
Hallo!

I have done a call to my ISP and they say I don’t need any password or special settings. It should work with the factory settings they said. They say I must contact the support of Trendnet. My ISP doesn’t have support of this router. In the manual the TCP/IP settings should be as follow:

1.Click on the “Network neighbourhood” icon found on the desktop. (Done)
2. Right-click on it, and a context menu will appear. (Done)
3. Select “Properties” to enter the TCP/IP settings screen. (Done)
4.Select “Obtain an IP address automatically” on the “IP address” field. (Done)
5.Select “Disable DNS” in the “DNS” field.
6 Select “None” for the “Gateway address”.

Point 5 and 6 is not done because I don’t know how to do. The picture in the book chows from Win 95/98 and ME. I myself have Win XP Home and how to disable DNS and Set None for the gateway isn’t similar with earlier models. Its typically they sent that old stuff.
I hawe E-mail TRENDnet and is awaiting what they will answer.
lagu :?

meckano
03-14-2005, 07:23 PM
Hi Lagu,
I don't have wireless, and this may not be useful, but this is what I see for my connection.

For my WinXP
I would have to:
1) Right click My Network Places, Properties
2) Select the Lan Card, Right click, Properties
3) Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), Click properties
4) Then for each of the IP Address and DNS:
--- I can Obtain Automatically or Use the Following...
5) For the gateway, I would have to click the Advanced button

a) I have all automatic and nothing for gateway.

6) There is also an Alternate Configuration tab, it is set at default Automatic Private IP Address.

meckano
03-14-2005, 07:45 PM
Here is a pic I just made that might help you.

http://clubplus.net/~dbrown/net-su.htm

Edit:
There is 1 step missing after the first properties choice.
- Too big of a picture then.
lol

Edit 2:
If you like it, save the picture, I will leave it up for about a month.

Edit 3:
Those settings work in Canada. :)

Lagu
03-14-2005, 08:29 PM

Edit:
lol

Edit 2:

Edit 3:

Thanks! I dont have wireless router. It's a cable. :)

Lagu
03-14-2005, 08:36 PM
Meckano!

I use the factory settings and it seems ok. What I don’t understand is why my modem will lose its settings. Advanced setup is not used but the router is set to always open but, I don’t know if there are any settings for timeout for example.
Lagu

Lagu
03-14-2005, 08:46 PM

Edit:
lol

Edit 2:

Edit 3:

I have checked your link and my setup is exactly the same Lagu :)

meckano
03-14-2005, 09:56 PM
When I worked for an Internet Service Provider (ISP), we had the same problem with some modems; they needed an update of the firmware.

If you find the website for your modem, and they get too technical in english, post the link and I, and I am sure other people here, will give you our translation.

Other than that, I can be of no assistance.

:)

DNS is not a must. I am told it is a backup for the primary DNS that does the Dynamic Name Serving service. (I think that is correctly stated.)

Lagu
03-14-2005, 10:21 PM
When I worked for an Internet Service Provider (ISP), we had the same problem with some modems; they needed an update of the firmware.

If you find the website for your modem, and they get to technical in english, post the link and I, and I am sure other people here, will give you our translation.

Other than that, I can be of no assistance.

:)

DNS is not a must. I am told it is a backup for the primary DNS that does the Dynamic Name Serving service. (I think that is correctly stated.)

Yes i will try it. I hawe a D-link DSL-3001 Ethernet modem :D