PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I should give this up... (RC5-72)

drezha
09-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Just had a quick look at the GPU output for ATI cards on this and realised I'm probably best off moving my CPU's elsewhere - they outstrip ANYTHING (60% of the work on the project done by ATI cards in just 4 years?!) on the project so I'm probably in a better boat moving the CPU's to something else - after all, I'm all for efficieny so if I'm better off moving the CPU's to a project that's either CPU only or where the GPU's don't FAR outstrip anything, then I'm all for it.

However, I've got low powered devices to move - 2 x ARM cores and a Atom - obviously the Atom can do any project, but the ARM cores are restricted. Any ideas on what I could move to? I like the Dnet client - it's easy and simple which I much prefer to BOINC. All three will have to be linux command line based - in the meantime, I'm considering moving them to OGR-72.

Any ideas?

NerdLifeAMD
09-24-2013, 04:10 PM
i have several atom dual 1.6 they kinda suck but prime is the best
turnaround so far on them followed by prog... but that's just what ive tried so far.
they were taking more than a day on lhc and seti but are able to do way more on prime
I don't know if the instruction sets are simpler or what the deal is.
If i were you id go ito the prime setting and select just the fastest tasks for them.
if you haven't ever logged into prime its very configurable in the preferences.
it lets you select what kind of tasks and gives yo the average cpu time for completion.
just select the shortest one only "ABORT" all the tasks and update (Dont reset they have been complaining)
good luck let me know if that helps and how it works out

Brucifer
09-24-2013, 04:46 PM
Well if you are thinking of moving them to OGR then better go for it as the current OGR project is getting close to the end. :-)

drezha
09-24-2013, 05:01 PM
Bruce - I'd noticed that, that was part of the reason I jumped in! It's quite good to see the project approaching the end! As it's only CPU's only, I've got a reasonable chance to add some score there.

The Atom was running SIMAP and EON until recently - Details (http://eon.ices.utexas.edu/eon2/show_host_detail.php?hostid=936326). These were completing in about 30m (EON) to 1h30m to 2h30m (SIMAP).

Nerdlife - I assume you mean Proth Prime Search Extended? (39mins a unit).
Cant' really see a unit that can use ARM (non Android) - Oproject perhaps?

NerdLifeAMD
09-25-2013, 04:49 PM
hey im confused what exactly is this system and is it something u you use or just crunch on? sorry if im missing something is it a net book or some kind of all in one board . im extremely curious do you happen to have a product link ? I would say why not flash android onto the device if its already running linux but obviously if your crunching on the gpu you would loose that ability on android ? jonny 5 need input

drezha
09-25-2013, 08:13 PM
This is two different systems.

One, is an Atom based dedicated server I'm paying for in a data centre somewhere in Austria. This runs Linux.

The second system (well, two) are Raspberry Pi's. These run Linux as well. However, these are ARM based machines.
None of them have graphics cards. The ARM machines (the Pi's) will stay on Linux as I use them separately (it was a project to teach me about clustering).

NerdLifeAMD
09-26-2013, 08:31 AM
Hmmm .ok wow so I had no idea what a raspberry was so i looked into it that's pretty dam sweet. Is the Linux install more of a firmware or does it have a ssd ?
I see the details link you have posted is to an intel adom thats almost the same cpus i have in the back room. dual core 1.6 (32bit) is what mine are i have 4 they dont do well an anlything ive tried them on. But some things much much worse. BTW I dig your avitar

drezha
09-26-2013, 09:22 AM
It's a custom Debian install (it's on an SD card), created for the Raspberry Pi, called Raspbian. Works just like a normal Debian distro.

I know the Atom isn't great but

A) It's on 24/7 anyhow
B) I'm paying £3 a month for the server regardless of if the server is at full load or not - therefore it makes sense to run it at 100% on something.

NerdLifeAMD
09-26-2013, 10:34 AM
I agree mines being used as a wireless bridge its always on too i had 5 other running but didn't see a point in tying up all that ram and hard drives. I've already got 16 computers to maintain it wasn't a power cost issue more of a time issue it wasn't worth the few hrs a week to check up on them for there credits.
If i can figure out how to get windows or anything else if anyone has a suggestion to install on a sd card i might fire them up for the prime animal challenge

drezha
09-26-2013, 12:17 PM
Windows runs on an Atom fine.

Windows will not ever run on a Raspberry Pi (as it's ARM based, but the wrong sort of ARM for Windows RT - Pi is v6, Windows needs v7 IIRC).

NerdLifeAMD
09-26-2013, 06:29 PM
my issue with installing on an sd card for the netbooks is a driver issue.
the install won't see the sd card and I don't have a USB floppy drive to load the drivers.
I'm savvy but not savvy enough to compile A live PE or something with boinc installed.
Are they still updating DSLinux? any advice for installing ANY os that will run boinc or any Boinc Alternative to SD would be great

drezha
09-27-2013, 08:45 AM
This might be able to help?

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html