PDA

View Full Version : RedHat 8

Eclipse
11-05-2003, 01:31 PM
Anyone know Redhat 8 in here that could help me with installing the right up2date client. I never used Linux before and I do not know anyone who uses it. Irecieved this message:

IMPORTANT MESSAGE REGARDING REGISTRATION WITH RHN:

The certificate used by up2date and rhn_register to communicate with the Red Hat Network reached its end of life on August 28th 2003. Users attempting to register with Red Hat Network will see SSL connection or certificate verification failures.

New versions of the up2date client that contain the new certificate are immediately available for download at:
https://rhn.redhat.com/help/latest-up2date.pxt

In order to register your system with RHN to receive updates, the
following command must be run as root after the above packages are installed:

For Red Hat Linux 8.0 and 9:
[root@localhost home]$ up2date --register

For all other variants:
[root@localhost home]$ rhn_register

Bionic_Redneck
11-05-2003, 11:04 PM
I haven't used redhat very much but looks to me that once you download the right up2date rpm for your distro and install it. you just have to open a terminal as root or su and type up2date --register

Bionic_Redneck
11-06-2003, 03:45 AM
My recommendation as far as window managers goes is to start with KDE and gnome. for newbies KDE is easier to learn but redhat is has focused more on gnome. In my opinion eithier suse or mandrake are easier to learn than redhat. Right now I have mandrake 9.2 and have used redhat 8.0 and its way better. I uploaded a athlonxp optimized kernel I built for mandrake 9.2 a while back if you decide to give mandrake a try.

Eclipse
11-07-2003, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the info, Ihad to download an older version of the up2date program then it downloaded the newer version, it seems to be working ok.

I have Mandrake 8.0 and 8.1, but I could never get them to work right with my KVM switches so I tried RedHat. Now all I need to do is learn how to use it.

Bionic_Redneck
11-08-2003, 12:33 AM
yea I have problems with my kvm switch too but it works with mandrake 8.2 but not with later version. what happens is I lose mouse. I think my problem is with the switch itself because it's really cheap and I have tried with different distros. also I have noticed not many distro are good with all windows managers. I believe redhat is good with all but more honed for gnome but the windows mangers I like is enlightnment and for some computer with small hdd's icewm is well suited. one thing I have noticed for terminals running dc projects w/ mandrake 9.2 gterm uses about 40% of cpu and konsole uses 5% but eterm and xterm hardly use any and if the are running in text mode all the cpu cycles go to the dc client but what I usually do... if I am in kde I use eterm for the dc client. Thing might be different for redhat or even different version of mandrake because I never notice this before. the way to find out what % the terminal is using is to type "top" in a terminal and see what percentage is going to the client.