PDA

View Full Version : Asteroids@home News

AMDave
10-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Sudden maintenance
There is a sudden maintenance so server components will be disabled until tommorow. I am sorry for that.Radim Van

More... (http://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/forum_thread.php?id=203)

vaughan
10-09-2013, 07:22 AM
Asteroids is such a damned unreliable project, his server is always being "maintained". Urrggghhhh!!!

Terry1953
10-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Exactly why I pulled everything off it and won't go back. Even as much as I like the concept it's just not worth the aggravation.

NeoGen
10-09-2013, 01:24 PM
"Sudden maintenance" means that preventive actions were not taken and something unexpected happened (like a hardware failure for example). I'm running my home machines for years and rarely had unexpected hardware failures. I have had to replace hard drives on occasion, but it wasn't unexpected because I did SMART checks on them regularly.

The only "sudden maintenance" I remember doing was when my power supply died and I got home to see my computer down and out. And even then I should have paid attention to the signs, because there had been a handful of occasions that my computer turned off on its own prior to the day that the power supply keeled over and died.

But oh well... I'm not a project admin, or systems admin, so I shouldn't talk too much. Maybe there's more to it and I just don't know it. :rolleyes:

Terry1953
10-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Judging from his past record I'd guess to busy or just unwilling to keep up. Last time he was down for days and not a peep out of him on when or if he might come back up. He just went to a new server so why not use to old one as a backup? He might be running the project on a shoestring budget but with a little coaxing he could get some donations (money or parts) I would think.

Dirk Broer
10-09-2013, 09:43 PM
We should keep in mind that most projects are run by volunteers, just like us, and with the same equipment/funding problems.

NeoGen
10-10-2013, 12:18 AM
That is true... we should not become too upset about it as no one is making a profit here, neither us or the project admins, this is a hobby for everyone.

But I still feel proud of myself for my own maintenance records...:icon_mrgreen: I kept my work laptop 91 days up and running non-stop and it would have been longer if it wasn't for windows updates forced to all computers on the network. :rolleyes:

Brucifer
10-10-2013, 04:36 AM
Way to many frequent issues for me. Like Terry I like the concept behind the project, but I'll just continue to pass on it. Isn't worth the aggravation.

Dirk Broer
10-12-2013, 04:42 PM
And now for something completely different: sudden maintenance strikes again.
This is becoming the best -no, most frequent- maintained project ever.....