PDA

View Full Version : AMD Users Performance Contest - Spring 2005 (Finished!)

NeoGen
03-18-2005, 10:48 PM
For the full tables with all members follow the link below:
http://neogen.amdusers.com/contest.htm
(As you can see, the webpage is now hosted on our site. Thanks should go to our site admin spjeff69 for lending me a bit of space to upload it here. Thanks:))

:wav:

Today, June 7th 2005, the contest has finished.
Congratulations to the winners!
And Thanks Everyone for participating! :D

17-or-Bust
WINNER: chaz32 with 89.81 T cEM's
Runner-ups:
vaughan with 68.18 T cEM's
SlackPawn with 31.68 T cEM's

DNET OGR25
WINNER: SlackPawn with 345,512 Gnodes
Runner-ups:
DMMc with 312,737 Gnodes
SB2 with 246,790 Gnodes

DNET RC5-72
WINNER: bwhite with 50,683 Blocks
Runner-ups:
72CJ5 with 17,234 Blocks
SlackPawn with 7,375 Blocks

Find-a-Drug
WINNER: SlackPawn with 4,904,240 Gflops
Runner-ups:
kamaLEIGH with 4,251,392 Gflops
Elez with 2,705,024 Gflops

Folding@Home
WINNER: DMMc with 75,758 points
Runner-ups:
SlackPawn with 25,492 points
Raymond_Gray with 22,822 points

Grub
WINNER: bwhite with 25,737,976 URL's
Runner-ups:
SlackPawn with 23,331,970 URL's
Beerknurd with 3,833,938 URL's

WhatPulse
WINNER: gamer007 with 10,267,090 keys
Runner-ups:
bwhite with 3,850,129 keys
vaughan with 3,224,206 keys

NeoGen
03-18-2005, 10:50 PM
April 25th
I've done a number of little things in the past couple of weeks but have been too lazy to post them. Among them are the light green/dark green colored stripes in the tables for easier reading, and the totals summary on the bottom of the page, under the table.

April 7th
Added some basic charts to the contest pages.

April 5th
As of now, members with more than one username in the contest projects will have their values merged into a single username. This is indeed a very flexible data parsing process, for example, it would allow me to create sub teams of users within our team for future contests. Imagine the possibilities... :D

March 30th
Tables are now generated automatically in HTML at the press of a button. And it includes more info that the previous ones did. :D

March 29th
I've just set an end date for the contest, June 7th.

March 27th
I'm almost finishing an automatic process to generate the HTML tables for the contest. This is one of several steps I'm taking in order to have the contest updating process fully automated someday. Right now it's only semi-automatic.

March 25th
Finally figured out what was going wrong on F@H stats for keithw1975. There are two equal usernames on the team. Now to workaround that will be another problem...

March 22nd
New update, and new bug found on the updating system. I almost got data corrupted because of it. Anyway, no bug found lives too long on my hands...

March 21st
As always, and like stated in murphy's law, bad things happen when we least want them to. I had a few problems here and had to make a part of the work manually, that is why the stats post got an hour late here. I'm sorry everyine!
Oh well, we learn from mistakes. And another thing I learned is that it can be a bit hard to make up an organized table in a forums post... I gave up...

March 20th
First data collection done with success. Base values retrieved, recorded and backed up.

NeoGen
03-18-2005, 10:51 PM
March 19th
Hello everyone, members and visitors of our forum. In the past couple of months I've been developing knowledge and means to analyze our team's statistical data, and for someone who rarely touched Excel before, I now consider myself quite a craftsman on it. Still not even near the level of our statsman Ototero :notworthy: but I'm working my way up! :)

So, to put to test the things I've learned and developed with the help of several more experienced team members (thanks guys, you know who you are ;) ), and with the autorization of our administrators, I've come up with a full featured team contest that will not only serve to see how well I've been doing here, but will also be a way for everyone to prove its power! :D

The AMD Users Performance contest will be my project where I'll monitor each and everyone's daily performance and will be a proof of resistance as I'll be counting everyone's production during the three months it'll take place. The contest will begin with the following 7 projects only, and I'll post statistical data regularly for everyone to see how well they've been doing and comparing to others, as well as their position in the contest at each project. The projects will be 17-or-Bust, OGR-25, RC5-72, Folding@Home, Find-a-Drug, Grub and WhatPulse.

Everyone that is registered in our team in these projects is automatically in the contest, as well as all new users that come along during the time the contest runs. And no matter how big or low values you presently got on the tables, for the contest everyone will start equally at zero.

Temporary pauses on the contest are possible to happen if need arises. Nevertheless you'll be warned ahead if the contest has to be paused for some days for whatever reason. Just keep an eye on this thread, it'll be the only place where I'll post about it. And don't worry because all values will be safely kept and once the contest restarts again we'll continue counting from where we left off.

Start date will be March 20th at 00:05 (GMT time), at that time I'll make the first value readings and it will serve as the base values, those values will be the zero values. From there on it'll be just adding up!

I don't have any prizes to offer other than the recognition of merit for having been one of the top producers of our team during this Spring. Your names will be recorded in our team's history logs for future generations to come. ;)

Only rule I can think of right now for the contest would be:
- Thou shall not sabotage a fellow team member's rigs!

And that's all for now. You can start rigging, borging, assembling, and fine-tuning your machines as the contest is about to start in 24 hours more or less. Good luck to everyone and happy crunching! Any doubts or questions, post here please. Have fun! :D

Jeff
03-18-2005, 11:25 PM
I wanna win

NeoGen
03-19-2005, 12:54 AM
Don't we all? :)

I probably won't win on any of them as I ruled out my own specialties, Pirates and Burp, due to being projects that have little work out and with very few people in it on our team.
But I'll be hosting the contest which is also very good. :D

Now boys and girls, I'll be the judge here, so keep it clean, no hitting below the waist or sabotaging the fellow members. Give it your best, and may the best ones win :D

Beerknurd
03-19-2005, 02:37 AM
How come Ubero isn't on the list???? :-(

AMDave
03-19-2005, 03:07 AM
Me Too !

I wonder which project(s) each of us will choose ???

Empty_5oul
03-19-2005, 08:54 AM
sounds good to me, are you gonna post the results per day / week / update anywhere fro su to see ?
or do we have to wait till the end and then find out where we are.

NeoGen
03-19-2005, 10:34 AM
About posting the stats.... I thought of it like a grand prix, the first week will be daily, to see who starts off better from the starting grid, and then it will be once a week which is equivalent to updating the results lap by lap if this was a grand prix :P
If I notice large changes, like for example someone start producing 10x more than his average, I'll update the stats to show, and at the same time it'll serve as a warning to the rest of the people. :)
And in the last week or two I'll post daily too. It'll probably be the moment where people will push harder to try to get up in the ranks.

About not having Ubero and others... sorry beerknurd :-( I can't handle them all yet.
But if this projects comes up with good results, and if the people want, I could host a Summer edition, and by the time that comes up I believe I'll have the power to handle more projects here. And I'll not forget your request, I'll put Ubero on the list. :)

Empty_5oul
03-19-2005, 10:59 AM
k sounds good to me. a bit of project rotation for the summer aswell so all peoples personal favourites can be processed.

maybe D2ol next time aswell as we have some good crunchers on that and it hasnt been a priority for almost 9 moths or so.

vaughan
03-19-2005, 11:34 AM
Maybe do a BOINC grand prix so that Beerknurd and myself can have holidays :P

NeoGen
03-19-2005, 01:01 PM
That would be an interesting idea... I would like it. :P But for this race we won't have any BOINC ones.

By the way... I notice some people have more than one registration on our team in some projects, so to those I notice I'll sum the outputs of the several usernames under one name only.
Nevertheless, to those who have several registrations, please tell me all of the usernames, just so I don't overlook any.
I know that in most cases the older registrations are "dead", but I'll monitor them too anyway.

Empty_5oul
03-19-2005, 01:30 PM
you should be able to see most usernames which are under the same person e.g. in SOB _'s are not allowed so i had to be Empty5oul.

Ototero
03-19-2005, 02:11 PM
I've just wasted a 2500 WU on F@H, 'cos it just finished :cry:

Jeff
03-19-2005, 02:47 PM
Dude, Ototero, I didn't know you were a POST WHORE!

andrewdodd13
03-19-2005, 02:48 PM
hmm WhatPulse is on that list - lucky me i have about 12 papers to type up over the next 2 months :D

ill see which of these has the lowest WU processing time and set it up on an old P233 MMX :p

Ototero
03-19-2005, 03:09 PM
Actually made it on my 50th birthday. Whore status, I ask you :shock:

NeoGen
03-19-2005, 11:13 PM
We're off!! :D
First values readings went OK. I got everyone's base values. Now let me make a backup of these as they'll be very important through the whole contest.
Tomorrow I'll post the first stats collection and we'll see who had the best run from the starting grid.

Lagu
03-19-2005, 11:21 PM
Hi!

I have choose to join AMD users in F@H. I don't to tink I will vin. Its moore important I am harmonic with the project I run. No race for me!
Lagu :D

vaughan
03-19-2005, 11:26 PM
Andrew, can you increase the contrast or change colours in your sig please? It is very hard to read.

AMDave
03-19-2005, 11:56 PM
Actually made it on my 50th birthday. Whore status, I ask you :shock:

lol.
We have always regarded you as the consumate professional Ototero :D
(toungue in cheek)

SB2
03-20-2005, 12:35 AM
Contact me if you are interested in a prize or 2 for the contest winner(s).

gamer007
03-20-2005, 01:22 AM
I'm gonna go back to WhatPulse. I need help leaving my current team and joining ours.

EDIT: Nevermind lol. Found the way to leave a team. Joining ours now! :D

NeoGen
03-20-2005, 03:28 AM
You jumped directly to third place on the team's ranks :D
I'll use your present value as your base value for the contest. Start typing now that I'm counting :)

Beerknurd
03-20-2005, 07:22 AM
Ok, I have stopped running Ubero. I took over 3rd place on our team. Now I need to know what to run....

Right now i'm running RC5-72. Does anybody else have any better idea's for me?????

andrewdodd13
03-20-2005, 08:14 AM
im trying to change that, but for some reason its sometimes transparent and sometimes not :S

ps. how do i join AMD Users on RC5 / OGR?

Empty_5oul
03-20-2005, 08:31 AM
to join log on via the site and select AMD Users as your team.

andrewdodd13
03-20-2005, 09:52 AM
i tried that, do i have to sumbit a WU first? because i cant find anywhere to create an account, and the client doesnt seem to talk to the network often...

ps. i couldnt find AMD Users on the list because its down as AMD-Users

AMDave
03-20-2005, 10:07 AM
Yes you need to submit a WU so that your UID registers in the Dnet stats database.

Then you can hook up to the team.
Dnet team names could not have spaces in them hence the "-"

AMDave
03-20-2005, 10:09 AM
Crikey !
We just shot up into rank 379
Welcome to the WhatPulse team gamer007.
Nice stomp.

hehe. I just DP'd another 100 pages in PG.
That's really getting my WhatPulse scores up.
It'll do my PG project rank some good too.

Empty_5oul
03-20-2005, 05:19 PM
gd gd

sorry about missing the - out of the team name.

how long till the stats update then neo ?

NeoGen
03-20-2005, 11:58 PM
I'm right now updating the first post with the stats but I placed a link there to the full tables. Check them out! :)

EDIT:
p.s. - Don't mind the shaby look of the webpage for now. It was put up in a hurry, and I didn't even think of it. I'll put up something better when I get some time to think of it better...

NeoGen
03-21-2005, 12:28 AM
It seems that at least both DNET projects have their stats update later than mine, so we're seeing there yesterday's output.
hmm... I guess I'm gonna have to push the update hour to later...

gamer007
03-21-2005, 12:49 AM
Now joined Grub! bwhite will be now have some competition :P

Empty_5oul
03-21-2005, 06:57 AM
its good.

bwhite
03-21-2005, 11:34 AM
Now joined Grub! bwhite will be now have some competition :P

:) :) Cool :!:

NeoGen
03-21-2005, 01:29 PM
It's no fun to be racing alone, right bwhite?
A little competition always cheers things up! :)

Jeff
03-21-2005, 01:32 PM
I joined Grub too!

NeoGen, do you have aim?

Beerknurd
03-21-2005, 01:42 PM
did anyone else's DNET scores not update???

NeoGen
03-21-2005, 02:12 PM
no, sorry... just msn.

beerknurd... if your DNET scores don't update on the site I'll not be able to know how much you're doing :-(
But anyway tonight there will be larger jumps on the DNET's projects on the contest. I'll push the update time for a bit later to see if I can get their daily values still fresh. Last night I noticed by the numbers that I was reading the scores from the day before because my update to the stats had been before theirs.

Beerknurd
03-21-2005, 02:26 PM
I have been running it for over 24 hours... I don't know why it's not showing up. Maybe they didn't update their stats... Or they are down right now....

Empty_5oul
03-21-2005, 04:26 PM
beer maybe its your settings, do a flush or whatever its called and send your current results. then set it for whatever you want and check your settings, it takes up to 24/48 hours to kick in and lose the OGR work or whatever but it DOES work.

bwhite
03-21-2005, 08:17 PM
It's no fun to be racing alone, right bwhite?
A little competition always cheers things up! :)

The more the merrier :) :D :!:

AMDave
03-21-2005, 10:52 PM
Beer

If you are running RC5 in which you are already registered with the team and your stats did not update then there are 2 possibilities
1 - your WU upload just missed the stats update watershed
OR
2 - the email address in your config is not the same as the email address in your member profile

If on the other hand you are talking about OGR-P2 then you need to click the "I want to join this team" link (under the team rank table) for this project, as well.
http://stats.distributed.net/team/tmsummary.php?project_id=8&team=28697
Then your scores will start showing up in the next stats update on the following day.

You can PM if you have any problems.

AMDave
03-21-2005, 11:43 PM
Beer,

your stats updated today in RC5 (Welcome !) so it must have been case (1) but you still may need to "join" in OGR-P2

gamer007
03-22-2005, 12:04 AM
It says its updated today. But I don't see a difference.

AMDave
03-22-2005, 12:16 AM
:!: :?:
I do.
Humour me, Hit refresh.

NeoGen
03-22-2005, 12:18 AM
Now it's updated :D

I see some new leaders on the boards and heavy stomps here and there... :P

EDIT: I purposedly delayed the stats collection to get today's DNET data. So now we're up-to-date on OGR and RC5

AMDave
03-22-2005, 12:29 AM
The Dnet stats box seems to do all the counts first
then updates the Team ranks & scores
then updates the individual ranks
then updates the individual scores
sometimes it's quick - 30 mins
often it's slower - 90 mins (like today)

NeoGen
03-22-2005, 12:29 AM

"today" is relative between us gamer. I'm under GMT time, if you're in canada, we got at least 6 hours difference I think.

NeoGen
03-22-2005, 12:32 AM
On Dnet I guided myself for that little line near the top that says the data reflects all blocks received until xx/xx/xx 23:59. I waited until seeing there 21/03/2005.

AMDave
03-22-2005, 12:57 AM
I have found that after the date changes at the top of the page it still has not finished updating the data in the "Overall" summary page. The indicator for this is that there is a rank change (for an active member) but the WU count on the right has not yet updated. This gets muddied a little when an ex-member of the team is crunching for another team, their rank changes but their WU count for the old team does not. So you need to know who has left the team and who is current. The only way to be sure of that is after all of the updates have finished. LOL.

NeoGen
03-22-2005, 01:03 AM
oh man... I'll pretend I didn't read all that and continue in ignorance... :P :lol:

By the way... You have been posting alot in the last few hours... are you by any chance making a posting spree to reach Post Whore quicker? :lol:

only 5 to go... ;)

gamer007
03-22-2005, 03:27 AM

"today" is relative between us gamer. I'm under GMT time, if you're in canada, we got at least 6 hours difference I think.

Around what time GMT are you usually gonna update the stats?

Beerknurd
03-22-2005, 03:29 AM
are AMD's better at DNET??? How the hell is bwhite and damn near everyone else geting so much. I have dnet running on 2 computers and only had 24 blocks??? Does that seem right?? That's the only thing i'm crunching. Well not the only thing.... But the only thing using my resources.... (ex. dimes, whatpulse, and tkc).

NeoGen
03-22-2005, 03:37 AM
around 01:00 GMT... hopefully by that hour all DNet stats will be updated...

I think I've seen somewhere that AMD's are better indeed beerknurd, but your stats are most likely behind schedule on the updating part... give it another day and lets see...
EDIT:
Question: do you let the client make the connections and updates alone or do you flush the results manually? when I run it I always do it manually every night before the stats are updated, and they always show up on the tables in time.

AMDave
03-22-2005, 04:00 AM
Ahhh. Now I see the problem.

The default config is for the Dnet client to run both RC5-72 AND OGR-P2, in that order.
So 1st it runs out of the RC5-72 cache, and then starts on the OGR-P2 WU's. But it will not send an upload until both caches are done. The default cache size is 24 WUs per project (24 OGR-P2 WUs can take a while)

Beer, if you want to run only 1 or the other you will need to change the config:
2) Buffer and Buffer Update Options
9) Load-work precedence ==> RC5-72,OGR-P2=0

I have set my OGR-P2 to off by adding the "=0" after it. If I wanted to run only that I would put
RC5-72=0,OGR-P2

BTW - You did not see your OGR-P2 wu's counting because you need to "join" the team in that project as well (see earlier post)
To see you OGR-P2 output, clcik on your name in the RC5-72 results
That will take you to your individual summary page.
At the bottom of the page there is a list project links
click on the right-most link "OGR-25"
I see that you have done 86 Gnodes yesterday.

AMDs do out-perform the Intels Ghz for Ghz in Dnet
There is an optimised client for the AMD-64 platform, here
http://www.distributed.net/download/prerelease.php
(I think some of our members have tried it/run it)
But, as many will tell you, the Apple-Dual-G5s just "scream" at this stuff.

Oh, and as for bwhite, I think he's using a cray (ssshhhh).
Nah. Just kidding.
You'll see bwhite at the top of several of our projects with some phenomenal scores. He's got a couple more PCs than you or me.

Hope that helps.

AMDave
03-22-2005, 12:33 PM
By the way... You have been posting alot in the last few hours... are you by any chance making a posting spree to reach Post Whore quicker? :lol:
only 5 to go... ;)

Not really. I was just enjoying posting really fast on my new broadband connection.
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Beerknurd
03-22-2005, 12:39 PM
I submitted all my results in DNET and went back to SOB. It's what my PC does best....

AMDave
03-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Sounds fair to me.

Darn it, tho. My old boxes can't keep up with your Prescott in SoB. I'll have to re-think my plan...

Mail-order: 1 x ACME(tm) "Master Plan", please

:lol:

Beerknurd
03-22-2005, 01:23 PM
Hmmm, I didn't know you were planning to attack.... Don't worry... I can't keep up with Chaz, Vaughan, DMMc, or Boosted if they moved all their PC's to SOB. I'm pretty sure Jeff could take his spot back at any time if he wanted to. I just pray that a certain somebody doesn't see me sneaking up on him...... ;)

Empty_5oul
03-22-2005, 02:04 PM
seeing as i am getting nowhere in RC5 compared to bwhite i think i mught switch to SOB aswell.

SB2
03-23-2005, 12:03 AM
Hmmm, I didn't know you were planning to attack.... Don't worry... I can't keep up with Chaz, Vaughan, DMMc, or Boosted if they moved all their PC's to SOB. I'm pretty sure Jeff could take his spot back at any time if he wanted to. I just pray that a certain somebody doesn't see me sneaking up on him...... ;)

me takes closer look at SOB :?

vaughan
03-23-2005, 12:22 AM
That will improve our team output SB2. Have you got some boxen to move from non-SOB maths projects perhaps?

NeoGen
03-23-2005, 12:34 AM
Update done.

It seems each member's strong points are showing on each project. It's only the third update yet and the distances between first ranked and rest of members is increasing rapidly.

Jeff
03-23-2005, 01:35 AM
On Grub, does CPU resource percentage effect how fast it crawls?

I thought it only affected the occasional data packets it crunches.

Any answers?

Beerknurd
03-23-2005, 04:09 AM
I don't think so... just bandwidth.... The faster the connection the more results.

SB2
03-23-2005, 07:29 AM
That will improve our team output SB2. Have you got some boxen to move from non-SOB maths projects perhaps?

I know it is 2:30 in the morning, just got the first of many cups of coffee needed to jump start the long work day, But I cannot quite grasp the intent of the question.............need more coffee or more sleep! :oops:

vaughan
03-23-2005, 07:41 AM
SB2, I was just saying if you have any PCs that are completing Proth searches and can switch to Seventeen or Bust it will help the intra team "Grand Prix" race and the team's stats in SOB.

SB2
03-23-2005, 08:03 AM
SB2, I was just saying if you have any PCs that are completing Proth searches and can switch to Seventeen or Bust it will help the intra team "Grand Prix" race and the team's stats in SOB.

Ahh.....your explaination, a 2nd cup and things suddenly become clear. ;)

The "proth/riesel" machines have a week of so to go yet (old T-Birds).

A few more days on Dnet then I see several good opportunities where the teams ranking could be improved with a little extra effort. I have about 2 more weeks of being able to run full force before I start to shut them down in preparation of moving day.

bwhite
03-23-2005, 01:02 PM
On Grub, does CPU resource percentage effect how fast it crawls?

I thought it only affected the occasional data packets it crunches.

Any answers?

GRUB is purely a bandwidth critter. I run mine at CPU resource 100% but it never uses more than a few percent of CPU every now and then.

Bandwidth is a different story...it will use it all if you let it. I have to keep mine backed off a little so can still have a little bandwidth left for other things like DIMES, GOMEZ, and just surfing and getting email. If I run grub wide open it will make it seem like I am back in the dial-up days.

Hope this helps

AMDave
03-23-2005, 01:51 PM
Yes it does. Thanks.

NeoGen
03-24-2005, 12:10 AM
Contest table updated. It's on a new webpage now, here at our server :) So click on the new link to see it.
I'll update the post below it soon. Just have to do some stuff here first.

Jeff
03-24-2005, 12:24 AM
Damnit, Bruce how many PCs do you have grub on?

Beerknurd
03-24-2005, 02:55 AM
how do you think he caught up with me so freakin fast. I just gave up and let him take first.... :lol:

Jeff
03-24-2005, 03:24 AM
I have 2 with fiber connection

AMDave
03-24-2005, 06:52 AM
2 x Quad-Opterons ? LOL

Fiber.
Hmm.
Fiber.
as in speed of light data transmission?

Nope.
Never heard of it.

LOL

No wait time. That's pretty cool.

Empty_5oul
03-24-2005, 09:07 AM
speed of light would be pretty gd, bit quicker than my 512 anyway.

bwhite
03-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Damnit, Bruce how many PCs do you have grub on?

Currently running it on 2 PCs with the bandwidth allowed divided equally. It does the same on just one PC if given the same amount of bandwidth to play on...have it on 2 just in case one decides to quit.

Empty_5oul
03-24-2005, 12:17 PM
what speed did you say the connection was ?? (2meg rings a bell but that could be someone else).

bwhite
03-24-2005, 12:28 PM
what speed did you say the connection was ?? (2meg rings a bell but that could be someone else).

3meg download and I'm not sure of upload speed...quite alot less...Cable modem.

NeoGen
03-25-2005, 02:44 AM
Updated again. Sorry for the delay. I got home pretty late tonight, and the update doesn't start without my command...

meckano
03-25-2005, 03:10 AM
Hello :roll:
Guess I'll be on the board tomorrow. Forgot about this when reading and loading rc5 into computers. :shock:
I think bw will keep the lead, but think I'll make a good showing, 'course all other projects are stopped. :cry:

NeoGen
03-25-2005, 12:39 PM
OMG!! :shock:

I've been knocking my head against the wall for days here with a bug on F@H stats, and only now that I went to the F@H website stats I noticed... We have two usernames "keithw1975" in our team. I thought that wasn't possible! :shock:
All the time I thought I had something wrong here (and I guess I do) and now I found out why. My program wasn't ready to accept two people with the same username.

keithw1975 hasn't submitted any work since the contest started, or it would most likely not show up for contest. So for now I'm clear, but I gotta make a workaround quick here.

meckano
03-25-2005, 01:14 PM
hmmm, wonder if Boinc has to deal with that, and does?!?

andrewdodd13
03-25-2005, 10:19 PM
grr whatpulse is really pissing me off now, it wont let me pulse because apparently i've typed more than 4 keys per second last night [which might be true, i had a biiig conversation on msn while hitting on this girl... never mind :p]. but still, i've got... 25k keystrokes to pulse :(
aww well it should work in the morning hopefully.

meckano
03-26-2005, 01:28 AM
Hiya, I'm not showing on the
DNET RC5-72
stats. I need to register somewhere? How much this gonna cost me? lol
:

NeoGen
03-26-2005, 01:53 AM
It just costs a bit of time and patience. ;)

I'm editing the first post now, but the table is already uploaded. And you're there! :)

meckano
03-26-2005, 02:21 AM
Woohoo, checking now. Tks :)

AMDave
03-27-2005, 12:04 AM
March 22nd
... Anyway, no bug found lives too long on my hands...

man that's toxic ! :lol: j/k

Keep it up NeoGen.

You are doing a terrific job.

NeoGen
03-27-2005, 12:46 AM
Hey... someone reads my logs? That's good to know! lol :)

By the way... new tables up!
And next week expect to see some changes on the tables. I'll be adding a bit more info to them for all of you stats hungry people out there. ;)

AMDave
03-27-2005, 01:28 AM
droool

DMMc
03-27-2005, 08:23 PM
Raymond_Gray Is starting to make me nervous in F@H... :-k

Must needs add another system or two to the fray :hiding:

Empty_5oul
03-27-2005, 09:26 PM
just though i would say how high our 17 production has een recently.
with chaz and vaughan fighting at the top we are really getting soem good scores. http://marcc.no-ip.org/SoB/Teamstats.php? - currently outproducing many of our rivals.

NeoGen
03-27-2005, 10:01 PM
Unplanned (but great) side effects the contest had :D

NeoGen
03-28-2005, 12:24 AM
To all our present and future contestants, a reminder that this is a trial of resistance. Don't feel discouraged by the high numbers of the top members after this first week as they'll have to keep it up for at least two more months.
Remember the turtle who won the race against the rabbit. :P

vaughan
03-28-2005, 01:14 AM
2 months! Ssheeesh! DMMc will have a huge lead in eOn whilst I'm duelling with Chaz in SOB.

NeoGen
03-28-2005, 04:04 AM
I doubt you and Chaz will keep it up on SOB for that long... :P

And I wonder if Chaz is thinking of taking back his first place on the OGR-25 overall team ranks (not the contest), now that DMMc stopped, or at least hasn't reported work yesterday.

AMDave
03-28-2005, 07:27 AM
Thats all right vaughan.

DMMc has stomped chaz in OGR-P2.
But now he's worried about F@H.
What goes around, comes around.

DMMc
03-28-2005, 01:34 PM
Thats all right vaughan.

DMMc has stomped chaz in OGR-P2.
But now he's worried about F@H.
What goes around, comes around.

So many projects...
So few ways to hide the services so the users don't complain about slow systems... :twisted:

Beerknurd
03-28-2005, 01:35 PM
and the secret comes out....

DMMc steals his cpu cycles!!!!!!!!! :lol:

You borg!!!! :lol:

AMDave
03-28-2005, 01:41 PM
Not at all.

I explained to my borg donor that as long as it is running it will not interrupt them, and if it stops they will soon see me without having to call for help.

It works well for both borger and borgee.

Oops. Not answering for DMMc. Just saying how I put it through.

DMMc
03-28-2005, 02:13 PM
and the secret comes out....

DMMc steals his cpu cycles!!!!!!!!! :lol:

You borg!!!! :lol:

Steal is such a NASTY, common phrase. [-X

I prefer to think of it as employing the available resources to their maximum. Of liberating the unused clock time for the benefit of all. O:)

Beer,.. just think of it as the computer equivalent of opening up Alaska's North Slope…
:bluepirate: :bluepirate: :bluepirate:

DMMc
03-28-2005, 02:16 PM

Oops. Not answering for DMMc. Just saying how I put it through.

Answer for me if needs be my friend, I'll trust you...just don't let the new found "PostWhore" status go to your head ;)

Beerknurd
03-28-2005, 02:39 PM
I have been know to do a little borging at times.....

AMDave
03-28-2005, 02:42 PM
LOL
If I jump into the sluice by mistake, I don't want to be running the river-raft ride. :lol:

Tag. Someone else is it.
'night.

SlackPawn
03-28-2005, 08:08 PM
NeoGen,
I'm wondering if there is a bug in the DNET scores. There is a numerical coincedence in that my score is 71 for both OGR and RC5. I notice on the dnet site that my one-day production for RC5 is 71, while my total is 331. (my total should be the same as the contest delta since I joined all these things since it started). The site has my OGR total at 8085 Gnodes.

NeoGen
03-28-2005, 10:02 PM
Ahh.... For a moment there I wasn't understanding, but now I see what you mean. Your personal score raised but not your score on the team.
The thing is that my values are stripped out directly from the team table, so I only account for the contributions made to the team. Have you changed your client settings, or left the team recently?
If you haven't touched the settings then it may be a glitch in the DNet's website stats and it'll be corrected tonight. We'll see in a couple of hours from now. But do check your client's settings just in case...

SlackPawn
03-29-2005, 01:22 AM
The client settings do not include a team indicator. It only has the email address. That's obviously working because my WU's get to my account on the web site.

I tried to log on to confirm that my profile settings have not changed, but I can not log in. As I now remember, I was able to only log in one time, and that's when I set up my username and team affiliation. If I make one attempt, I get a login box. Then I get the reject message; then on further attempts I do not get a login box, just the reject message. The only way I can make a fresh attempt & get a login box is to use another computer, but the same thing happens again.

I know my username is correct because my scores show up under that name. I also have the same password that they emailed to me, which worked one time only.

NeoGen
03-29-2005, 01:39 AM
Have you tried that button "Please email me my password" to see if the username/password is correct?

Oh yea, on that login box the username required is not your username "Slackpawn"... it's some number that I don't know where I got it from anymore. Probably at registration time.

SlackPawn
03-29-2005, 03:00 AM
Hey, Wow!! NeoGen, you're a genius! Using a number was the key to the whole thing.

That login box asking for a username is not the best reminder that a number is needed. I found out that I was no longer on a team; how I got off the team after having been on it I don't know. Let's see what happens with the next update.

Now, if that Grub problem had a similar cure...

Empty_5oul
03-29-2005, 05:49 PM
try clearing your cache etc with grub sometimes you can get stuck in a loop or cycle with the server and not actually end up doing anything just going round and round. with a clear cache etc it may start a fresh and let you in.
you should also have a client ID for grub that was e-mailed once you signed up.

SlackPawn
03-29-2005, 07:38 PM
Hmm... There was no client ID in the email that I received. It just quoted the username & password that I submitted.

I think I'll try creating an independent account using my wife's email address. Then if I get in I can ask about my SlackPawn account.

Something must need cleaned out alright because the machine is working the job feverishly but nothing gets added to my score any more.

Empty_5oul
03-29-2005, 07:59 PM
k try that and see.

NeoGen
03-30-2005, 12:06 AM
Here's another update, and today we got a new set of pages with tables with some more info :D
The front page is very simplistic, I know, I'll see about that some other time.
And the comment field is empty for now. It'll be to put notes there to the member producing more per day, or to show new members that joined our team, or things like that. I'll be coding the "comments generator" in the next few days.

Have fun now :)

EDIT: The bug in the Folding@home table with keithw1975 is only on the html file generation. I'll be handling that soon too. Keith, do not worry, all your contributions are/will be recorded with both usernames. :)

NeoGen
03-30-2005, 12:19 AM
Slackpawn, a question...

How did you passed your 13,000 Gnodes in OGR to the team? It says there that you only produced around 3,000 and yet you jumped from around 70 to over 13,000.

SlackPawn
03-30-2005, 01:39 AM
I finally got my account updated & officially signed up for the team. So my scores showed up all at once. They were all generated after the start of the contest, so there's no problem there.

I think I know what happened. At the bottom of the page there was a link that said "Cool, It's about time". I didn't click that the first time because I didn't recognize it as a "submit" button.

NeoGen
03-30-2005, 02:17 AM
"Cool, It's about time" :lol: LOL

That's a good one. I don't remember if it was like that when I registered, but that's funny. :)

AMDave
03-30-2005, 08:50 AM
NeoGen,
great page mods :idea:

Vaughan
nice stomp in WP :?
I'd better get the client onto my other machines sooner than later
I have a full house of guests so they are all getting used.

Empty_5oul
03-30-2005, 05:30 PM
its looking good neo,
and i have just got into 3rd place in SOB. i see beer is back now though :(

Beerknurd
03-30-2005, 06:23 PM
yep.....

SlackPawn
03-30-2005, 08:15 PM
Empty,
OK, you got me in SOB, but let's see you catch me in Folding...

Empty_5oul
03-30-2005, 08:42 PM
i have never run folding and currently have no intention.

Slackpawn - how many machines and what processors do you have on f@h ?? Also do you mean keep my SOB production up as flat out at f@h i reckon i could get you

AMDave
03-30-2005, 09:36 PM
that almost sounds like a challenge !
:shock:

Beerknurd
03-30-2005, 10:43 PM
Come on Empty!!!!! Show SlackPawn who's boss. Both of you quit SOB and crunch Folding@Home. May the best man win!!!!!

gamer007
03-30-2005, 11:26 PM
W00t! I've hit #1 in Whatpulse. :P

NeoGen
03-30-2005, 11:55 PM
Don't tell me you only saw it now?? :lol:

You've been on top and with a distance for as far as I remember.

How many people have you enslaved there to type for you?? :lol: LOL

SlackPawn
03-31-2005, 01:58 AM
Empty & Beer,
I have about 1/4 of my power on each of SOB, FaD, dnet, and F@H. Maybe a bit more on F@H because most of these things won't run at work because of the firewall (?). I got a very late start on F@H, so there's not much evidence yet. Chessbrain preempts everything when it happens to wake up.

F@H is kind of lousy for a challenge because the long lasting WU's make it hard to see the progress. I would prefer to stay on all projects and see how my product of all scores (except whatpulse & grub) compares with others.

You asked for a list, so...
The following are running SOB, FaD, dnet, & F@H:
1.....XP 3000+ (+ 19 CB clients)
5.....XP 1800+ (+ 12 CB clients)
7.....assorted Duron & Athlon 1.0 to 1.2 Ghz (+ 6-7 CB clients)
1.....Celery 1.4 Ghz (half time) (+ 8 CB clients)
The following are only running SOB and dnet:
7.....K6-2 550Mhz (+ 2 CB clients)
The following are running only F@H:
1.....P4-2.8Ghz (+ 12 CB clients)
1.....P4-1.8Ghz (+ 10 CB clients)
1.....P3-1.13Ghz (+ 6 CB clients)

The P4's are running 2 F@H clients to take advantage of the hyperthreading.

To answer your question, my "let's see you catch me in F@H" assumes that you maintain your lead in SOB.

Beerknurd
03-31-2005, 02:14 AM
http://www.moacsupreme.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/bowdown.gif SlackPawn

gamer007
03-31-2005, 03:45 AM
Great god! :shock:

*gamer007 faints @ list of SlackPawn's PCs*

vaughan
03-31-2005, 06:31 AM
Nice farm SlackPawn. Those P4s would do well at SOB.

Empty_5oul
03-31-2005, 07:29 AM
i dont have as many in that and would not be able to get you in f@h without stopping SOB :(,

i said i could catch you from looking at your past few days production but after seeing your list if you put all that somewhere it would destroy me. I think i will back down for now.
at home i can utilise:
my xp 3200+
my 64 3200+
1-P4 1.5Ghz
xp 2200+
and if i really need to another P4-1.5Ghz and gateway 733Mhz.

Ototero
03-31-2005, 10:52 AM
Well impressed SP :cool:

gamer007
04-04-2005, 12:15 AM
Hope nobody minds, thought I may want to *bump* this thread so people can see the stats.

NeoGen
04-04-2005, 12:21 AM
I was gonna do that too but you beat me to it :P :lol: :lol:

Beerknurd
04-04-2005, 02:20 AM
NeoGen,

Your doing one hell of a job on the stats for the contest. I just wanted to thank you.

Jason

gamer007
04-04-2005, 02:24 AM
Now that Beer has started it. I also want to thank NeoGen for the outstanding work managing the contest and stats. :D

NeoGen
04-04-2005, 02:42 AM
Thanks guys. I appreciate it!:D

But still, only about half of the work is done yet. I am right now working on correcting the issue with keithw1975, and that at the same time will join members with more than 1 username registered in the project on our team to sum the contributions on both usernames into just one. That way for example Slackpawn in Grub will have both his values summed up in only one username. And all other people too...

Speaking of which... this is the list of the usernames that I caught and am joining up into one only. If anyone has other usernames that I missed out, please, do tell so that I correct here.

17-or-Bust
Empty_5oul -> Empty5oul
smiller100 -> smiller10

OGR25
chaz2 -> chaz

RC5-72
chaz2 -> chaz

Folding@Home
chaz_ -> chaz

Find-a-Drug
DMM1959 -> DMMc 1959

Grub
SlackPawn2 -> SlackPawn

WhatPulse
bigman2 -> bigman

Expect to see the corrected tables in the next few days.
[EDIT]
Finished coding the usernames merge process. The new tables will be up on the next update.

Empty_5oul
04-04-2005, 08:13 PM
you can forget me in SOB i am fine as i am.

when i signed up it didnt say _ was not allowed to be typed in the actual client. so i later found out but cannot delete my account :( so it just stays static.

vaughan
04-05-2005, 12:08 AM
NeoGen: do you have a record of the daily stats for the Competition? What I mean is that say for example we look at SOB, the results for myself and Chaz for 4th April are 13.47 and 12.65. The difference is 0.82. What I'm looking for is these as daily results so the next request is the ability to see a trendline graph. Is Chaz gaining or am I pulling ahead? At the current 7 day average am I safe or will someone catch me?

NeoGen
04-05-2005, 12:37 AM
Actually no, not yet. But that is easy to see, just keep an eye on your last 7 day averages. If your average is higher than his, then it means that even if in one day or another he flushes more than you, in the long run you're always winning.
Right now I'd say you guys are almost neck-to-neck and pushing hard... If you slip he'll take you down, if he slips then he'll be eating your dust :P :lol:

Also, congratulations to SlackPawn who jumped directly to his deserved second place now that I merged both usernames :)

And an honorable mention to 72CJ5 for the biggest flush of RC5 blocks I ever saw in the contest! :D I dare you to keep it up like that! :P :lol:
Oh yea, and you have jumped directly to second place too!

Brucifer
04-05-2005, 01:11 AM
Well unfortunately the RC5 output won't keep up like that, as I'm also doing some Eon stuff. Just depends on eon really. Some times eon ends up making the clients spend too much time waiting for work, and that's when I shift stuff over to RC5 so I don't lose too much machine time.

Empty_5oul
04-05-2005, 09:17 AM
slackpawn i am just wondering in SOB why you get some many - scores.
i thought at first it was the client losing the first block but that will only happen once, you have been continually getting large - scores.

any one else have any ideas, all i can think is the clients are being interrupted and re-installed therefore starting over and losing their progress.

chaz
04-05-2005, 11:02 AM
NeoGen: do you have a record of the daily stats for the Competition? What I mean is that say for example we look at SOB, the results for myself and Chaz for 4th April are 13.47 and 12.65. The difference is 0.82. What I'm looking for is these as daily results so the next request is the ability to see a trendline graph. Is Chaz gaining or am I pulling ahead? At the current 7 day average am I safe or will someone catch me?

Nah, you're safe... really........ :^o

vaughan
04-05-2005, 11:45 AM
Oh crumbs, that sounds ominous :P

NeoGen
04-05-2005, 11:52 AM
I sense a mighty flush coming down today or tomorrow... :P

Empty_5oul
04-05-2005, 12:44 PM
beer is getting very close to me as well.

SlackPawn
04-05-2005, 05:33 PM
Empty, I didn't quite understand your question. When I look at the plot, it looks normal to me. There are small variations corresponding to when I add or subtract a machine running SOB. The first initial rise from zero is where I first started running SOB. I have one SOB client running on all my machines at home, but none at work. If you look at my plot, that little segment that's higher than all the rest is where my wife took one machine off linux and ran windows, and on that machine, SOB is the only DC thing running when windows is up, so it gave a higher rate in SOB.

Beerknurd
04-05-2005, 06:41 PM
beer is getting very close to me as well.

:twisted:

I'm running it offline now... Just remember... I'll be without internet access for about a week. Once I go down on Friday you can crank up all your machines. Take advantage of my downtime......

Just remember..... I'll be back...... ;)

Empty_5oul
04-05-2005, 09:57 PM
slackpawn - i see your point.
but try these stats: http://marcc.no-ip.org/SoB/User.php?User_ID=9159 . you will see every few hours you are getting - scores and losing valuable work.

NeoGen
04-06-2005, 12:08 AM
I knew it!! :P

Mega flush that chaz did today, 2.13 T cEM's! That's almost half of the total team production today! :)

SlackPawn
04-06-2005, 01:05 AM
slackpawn - i see your point.
but try these stats: http://marcc.no-ip.org/SoB/User.php?User_ID=9159 . you will see every few hours you are getting - scores and losing valuable work.

That's really weird -- there seem to be equal number of big (+) and (-) jumps. I wonder why the plot on the SOB site is perfectly smooth. I presume that both the (+) and (-) jumps are erroneous, but I don't know. Obviously the (-) jumps are wrong.

Empty_5oul
04-06-2005, 08:00 AM
The official SOB stats arn't that great and dont seem to update immediatley.

A known error is that after you first install SOB somewhere unless you complete that whole test without closing the client, re-booting the machine or shutting down those particular numbers will be lost. So next time you open it, a request for new numbers is sent. The SOB site sees a particual IP address is requesting new numbers so presumes the old ones are corrupt and deductes the score you have gained from them from your total (hence the minus score).

So from knowing that, at first as you received all these minus scores i presumed it was just the tests being lost. Though for this still to be happening constantly you would have to have installed across loads of machines.

vaughan
04-06-2005, 10:50 AM
Check your pending tests at the SOB site. Also check the C:\Program Files\SB folder to see if you have multiple z followed by 7 digit numbers eg z8646543
Follow the thread at SOB for recovering from Lost Tests.

Empty_5oul
04-06-2005, 12:16 PM
i can't see how/why he is getting so many - scores, any ideas V?

SlackPawn
04-06-2005, 01:45 PM
I have SOB running on 22 machines if you count the K6's. All but 2 stay up all the time unless they crash. I had 2 of them crash during the weekend. My laptop (from work) I take home each night & run linux so it joins the party. Also my wife's computer gets rebooted when she wants to run Windows (around 2-3 times a week). That machine is the only one that has SOB running in Windows (also in Linux).

I checked the pending tests, and there are 22 of those. They have various starting dates like March 22 & March 25 and various percentage progress like 5% to 70%. One of them has a recent start date of April 5 & 0% completion.

I checked for z... files, and every machine except the laptop has one z... file. The laptop has three of them, with date stamps of Mar 23, Mar 25, and Apr 6.

Empty_5oul
04-06-2005, 02:24 PM
where it has more than 1 it means t has dropped a test, you can recover them if you wish using a little reg edit tool - or manually if you prefer.

NeoGen
04-07-2005, 12:29 AM
Hey everyone!

Another daily update on the contest with something more attached to it. :D
Check out the pie charts on the bottom of each project page! Still very rudimentar, and with some visual glitches, but it's a step in the right direction. ;)

[EDIT]
And a note. smiller1000 was already on our team and I didn't store the initial values of past members, so I don't know how much he did since the moment he rejoined. I only caught him a couple of hours ago, so that's the little bit I saw him producing. Sorry smiller1000! :-(

[EDIT2]
Argh! :? I forgot to add the titles on the charts! The left one is the members comparison of total production, and the right one is members comparison of yesterdays production. I'll add it on the next update tomorrow.

Empty_5oul
04-07-2005, 09:42 AM
neo not according to this - http://marcc.no-ip.org/SoB/User.php?User_ID=7363

NeoGen
04-07-2005, 01:45 PM
I'm not understanding.... according to that table in the bottom smiller1000 was supposed to have 17.35 T cEM's of total work already when he rejoined yesterday?

I'm looking at the SOB stats page right now and he has only 16.76 T cEM's ...

EDIT:
Forget it, I saw where's the difference. It's the share of work he crunched while not on the team. But where do I see how much work done for the team he had right before rejoining?

NeoGen
04-07-2005, 01:53 PM
And also for my misfortune smiller1000 is not in ototero's personal stats table. I was hoping I could check out his last value there before ototero updated, but he's not there anyway....

AMDave
04-07-2005, 02:13 PM
neo,
on marcc's stats, see post from Empty_5oul above for url, a row is included to show when a member of a team makes a change to their team allocation.
The last entry for total work done in the right-most column, just before that row, should be the value you are seeking,
I think.
(in this case 17353.18 GcEMs.)

NeoGen
04-07-2005, 02:25 PM
I saw just that one. The thing is that that value is his total work done ever, not just what he crunched for our team. And what I needed for base value was the value he had done just for our team before he rejoined. Because smiller1000 does not have 17.3 T cEM's crunched for our team, only around 16.75 T.

Empty_5oul
04-07-2005, 03:48 PM
he was originally a member, the retired and is now back.

remember the same person also has 100 and 10 - youll understand when you check our 17 stats.

neo for the numbers marcc's site is bad as you will see with us apparntly being in 10th. It simply moves whole scores around as people join and leave where in actual fact whatever you crunch for a team stays with that team whether you stay or go. (the ex-members section on official SOB site).

DMMc
04-12-2005, 02:19 PM
WOOHOO!!!! \:D/
Just past 100,000 total in Folding@home :headbang:

Beerknurd
04-12-2005, 02:25 PM
I want my internet access back :cry:

I have to catch back up in SOB.....

Empty_5oul
04-12-2005, 07:12 PM
i am having a bit of trouble with SP at the moment aswell.
For the next update i should just get ahead though.

NeoGen
04-13-2005, 01:14 AM
Daily update done as usual, but with a couple of additions to the tables. For one is slightly lighter green lines every couple of lines on the table for easier viewing of the table.
And the other is a line in white under each table specifying how much was produced since the contest started.

By the way... I accept suggestions for enhancements or new features for the contest tables/other info you'd like to see/etc... so if anyone got any ideas out there post them away. :)

SlackPawn
04-13-2005, 03:51 AM
i am having a bit of trouble with SP at the moment aswell.
For the next update i should just get ahead though.

OK, U asked for it... here goes... I'm doing SOB. Well till morning anyway.

Empty_5oul
04-13-2005, 07:21 AM
lol, nice mate.

SlackPawn
04-13-2005, 02:28 PM
Hmm... I must have been taunting fate. Just after I posted that comment, I smelled smoke. It was Rigel - scratch one computer :cry:

gamer007
04-13-2005, 02:58 PM
Dang it bwhite. You took my 1st place in whatpulse. :P

I'll reclaim my first soon enough. :P

bwhite
04-13-2005, 03:13 PM
I know. :) But I'll be MIA most of the next 2-3 weeks so thought I would send my keys in case something goes wrong while I'm not here so they don't get lost.

Empty_5oul
04-13-2005, 05:24 PM
SP i dont fully know how/why but your minuses seem to have stopped :). I think i have a solution though......

i dont know what security you have but be careful when running things with what they delete. What do you use in the way of virus/spyware/malware protection???

if spysweeper is one of them i have found it deletes the markers in SOB so the client starts over. Therefore you give a % of say 50% total and then 2% so get a minus as effecitvley the sever understands you have worked "backwards" and deducts points.

SlackPawn
04-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Empty, I have one central machine that serves as firewall, router, dhcp server, and dns server. The firewall is implemented with iptables. The client boxes have nothing in the way of malware protection, and they are all running Slackware Linux.

I don't know what those markers are that you mentioned.

It's strange; the last negative occurred in the middle of the night, and later on I got a (+) 500k out of the blue.

I'm wondering if it could be caused by more than one machine working on the same job. Maybe when the faster one reports in, I get (+) and when the slower one reports in, I get a (-). I have no idea how the SOB system works so I don't know if this scerario is sensible or not.

Beerknurd
04-13-2005, 07:36 PM
You have more than 1 machine running the same test???? If so your not geting credit for it. All clients should be running different tests.....

Empty_5oul
04-13-2005, 07:41 PM
right a while ago we said take a look in c: and you have 1 file z...... (the number).
As you run SOB you will crunch this to 100% and complete that particular full test. As you send each block in you get credit for that but this is really only temporary. The credit will only stay there for ever if you finish that 100% and the whole block is done.

Should you get to 50% and then say re-install that machine then the z file will be lost. As you re-start your computer will request it again, as you then report at 0.0001% or whatever you have gone down so lose points.
Also if the z file becomes damaged or corrupted at some point you lose those points. So where you are at 50% you have what i called a "marker" so if you re-boot etc the machine remembers where you get to and deosnt start you over.
I hope this makes sense so far :D

I have found certain security protection things to mess this up and delete my "save // marker" file so my machine started over giving - scores. The faster slower machine thing will make no difference and tests can't be shared between machines, they each have their own number see "n" and "k" which are separate.

Empty_5oul
04-13-2005, 07:43 PM
sorry posted same time as beer,
if you are running the same test twice this would explain it. as the fast one reports further ahead and then as the slower goes through it is re-porting you are further back so a point deduction occurs.

Beerknurd
04-13-2005, 07:51 PM
Holy Crap look at SlackPawn's production in SOB!!!
Vaughan and Chaz look out!!!.

http://www.seventeenorbust.com/stats/users/user.mhtml?userID=9159

NeoGen
04-14-2005, 01:11 AM
And look at WhatPulse...

Seems that bwhite just noticed he had WhatPulse running in the background (but not submitting) for the last couple of months... :P
Great flush bwhite!! :D More than three and a half million keystrokes at once!!

I hope this is not a stats error.

SlackPawn
04-14-2005, 01:15 AM
There's something a little imperfect with the stats on the SOB site. For days it had me flat at 3.2/sec even though I was producing around 5 or 6 /sec. I'm still doing around 5-6 per sec. The plot seems to be makig up for lost time.

There was a quantum jump of 500k and those negative jumps have quit.

(?????)

p.s. I checked all my z... files and everything looks ship-shape there.
(except that the K6's are waaaayyyy slooowww)

SlackPawn
04-14-2005, 01:17 AM
Whoops, I meant to put this link in the previous post:
http://marcc.no-ip.org/SoB/User.php?User_ID=9159

Empty_5oul
04-14-2005, 08:17 AM
i dont know then but i guess the problem is solved.

i won't get near you with rates that quick :(

SlackPawn
04-14-2005, 07:11 PM
Here's my Grand Unified Theory about those anomolies. This theory has the advantage that it can't be disproved because it's too late.

Rigel was off-line overnight because of the burned out power supply and motherboard. In the morning I got Rigel running again by moving the processor and hard drive to a spare motherboard, and immediately after that is when the +500K jump appeared. While Rigel was down, Kocab completed an SOB test, and that's about when the negative jumps quit. So I think Kocab and another machine were working the same job number, but by the time I searched for that, Kocab had already finished it's test. I think the +500k means that I somehow got credit for both processes, but only after one of them finished.

p.s. Empty, if I go back to putting equal power on everything, my speed in SOB will be the same as when you & Beer passed me the other time. I'll have to, because of all those unfinished WU's.

Empty_5oul
04-14-2005, 08:36 PM
k, i have a problem with a machine as well and when thats up i can hit 20,000 per hour.

problem is:

It won't boot. originally it did fine, then crashed a bit and now won't boot. we re-built into a new case as we thought it was heat but thats not solved it ?? managed to boot it ocassionally with no keyboard or mouse and then restarting with them plugged in and i can get through. As soon as we turn it off though or it crahses after a while and thenw e can't boot. any ideas ????

NeoGen
04-14-2005, 08:54 PM
When you say "it won't boot" you mean that it starts well, makes the POST tests and then crashes when trying to load the OS?
Or do you mean that it doesn't work when powered on? If it's the last one then it could be motherboard problems, no? Or maybe the cpu or other components are not well connected on the board...
Do you get any of those beeping error codes of the bios when you power it on?

Empty_5oul
04-14-2005, 10:11 PM
sorry i was unclear.

you get nothing the monitor doesnt even switch to being a green light rather than orange (standby).
everything is connected fine, it use to work and i switched its case and then re-checked the cables etc. we have unplugged the floppy and CD drives as they are just extra things to go wrong.

we get no beebs and nothing on the screen.

NeoGen
04-14-2005, 10:26 PM
umm... faulty motherboard or power supply? :?

I think that if it was the cpu there should be at least some of those error beep codes. But I've also already seen many recent computers not equiped with the internal speaker (therefore, no beeps), does your system have it?

SlackPawn
04-15-2005, 12:25 AM
Maybe it's dead, but here's a couple long shots.

If the AGP video card isn't seated all the way it won't boot, and this has a tendency to happen. Also some motherboards flex enough so even with the memory sticks latched at both ends, the middle isn't plugged in enough. Try to get your hand to the back of the MB to help seat the middle of the memories, or at least wiggle them a few times.

Empty_5oul
04-15-2005, 07:22 AM
it has a speaker - but choses not to use it lol.

i will check the cards are plugged in / attached correctly.

SlackPawn
04-15-2005, 02:41 PM
Also check the MB with a magnifier in the vicinity of the heat sink attachment points. There might be some screwdriver injuries there. I've salvaged 3 or 4 used MB's by repairing traces in that area.

AMDave
04-16-2005, 01:16 AM
If you have the old AT split-power-to-mobo plugs, make sure they are the right way round, but I think you have the ATX.
if the power supply has a 120 /240volt switch, make sure it is set right.
test the ram stick in another machine
also, use the CMOS jumper to reset the BIOS
if you have an onboard D-cell battery check the voltage

Empty_5oul
04-16-2005, 08:11 AM
it is ATX and we swappd that already for another but no difference.
It has no switch.

We have swapped the RAM out as well.
I will try re-setting the BIOS.

NeoGen
04-17-2005, 01:28 AM
What seemed as a still prey for DMMc has just started moving again on Dnet OGR25! :P :lol:

Yep, SB2 is in da house again, and he's probably just getting ready to show us how to really crunch some numbers! :D

NeoGen
04-20-2005, 01:52 AM
Well, it's been exactly one month since I started the contest. One month ago by this time I had made the first data collections. :)

This has been one fiery month I'll say...

17-or-Bust
In a single month of work in 17-or-Bust we produced 107.8 T cEM's, which is around 16% of our team total value. We took over a year to reach our present 666.07 T cEM's, but at this months rate we'd have achieved this very same value in six and a half months. Keep it up gang! :D (Especially Chaz and Vaughan who have been on their own private race nearly since the beggining ;))

DNet OGR25
Again, we produced alot in these mere 31 days of contest. 482,213 GNodes, which is around 18% of our grand total. :) At this rate we'd have achieved this same position in less than six months, and the Dnet site says we're working on this project for over 4 years? (Is this correct?)

DNet RC5-72
We're getting better and better. In RC5-72 we produced a total of 43,416 Blocks, which is around 30% of our grand total :!: of over 2 years of work on this project. Doing some simple math we can deduce that with 30% in one month, in 3 and a half months at this rate we'd have reached this same stage too.

Find-a-Drug
We got a grand total value of 107,929,656 GFlops which is awesome, and it's smashing compared to the 5,890,344 GFlops that we produced in this month of contest. But I can't tell for how long we've been running it, it doesn't say on the stats page, so maybe the percentage is low (around 5%) because the project is a bit old already? Nevertheless I feel we pushed quite a bit here too this month. :)

Folding@Home
Another great month for F@H this has been. 57,380 Points gained in a month, and around 15% of our grand total (387,518 Points) is quite a feat. :) Again I can't tell for how long we've been on it, but I bet it's at least a couple of years already ;)

Grub
What can I say? I'll let the numbers speak by themselves :) 20,246,668 URL's in one month, out of a total of 91,564,802 URL's made in over a year. Need I say more? :D (Oh yea, it's around 22% :P)

WhatPulse
And to finish in big style, I'll present WhatPulse! Some people must have their fingertips on fire because we had 11,387,962 Keys submitted in the last 31 days :!: Come to think that we only have a grand total of 32,052,933 Keys, that means we produced a whooping 35% of the grand total just this month! :D I just wish I knew for how long are we in this project, but I do know that at this rate we'd have reached this position in about 3 months.

Summing it all, GREAT WORK EVERYONE!!! :D :D :D
Let's make the next month as productive as this first one, shall we? ;)

DMMc
04-20-2005, 02:12 AM
What seemed as a still prey for DMMc has just started moving again on Dnet OGR25! :P :lol:

Yep, SB2 is in da house again, and he's probably just getting ready to show us how to really crunch some numbers! :D

FRAK!!!

Empty_5oul
04-20-2005, 08:29 AM
nice summary neo, its all looking good.

vaughan
04-20-2005, 08:51 AM
I agree with Empty_5oul, nice summary. In fact I look forward to the daily updates.

Now, let's see ... what to do about Mr Chaz ... Ooh what's this? a fishtank with an Eheim pump ... sure I can get that thing to hookup for some H2O cooling of the Intel ... mutter, mutter!!!

How the hell do those guys at Free-DC get Xeons so cheap? I had a look around on-line in Aus and they are INCREDIBLY expensive. Might as well wait until the dual cores come out, maybe that will trigger a drop in some of the prices on the old CPUs.

AMDave
04-20-2005, 09:03 AM
Now, let's see ... what to do about Mr Chaz ... Ooh what's this? a fishtank with an Eheim pump ... sure I can get that thing to hookup for some H2O cooling of the Intel ... mutter, mutter!!!

you could pipe all your CPUs together & heat the whole tank for some tropicals !!! :lol:

NeoGen
04-20-2005, 02:20 PM
I think all of vaughan's CPU's piped together would boil the fish in his tank... :lol:

It would have to be something bigger... like a jacuzzi... or even a swimming pool? :P

DMMc
04-20-2005, 02:31 PM
Just set the fish tank in the refrigerator and knock a couple of holes in the side for piping and the fish would be fine. Just be sure to go thru the side and not the back with the piping and drill from the OUTSIDE in. Less chance of hitting a Freon tube that way.
Oh…and it is a good idea NOT to indulge in alcohol before or during this “experiment” :drinking:

Hindsight IS 20/20 :puke:

:fatalfridge:

AMDave
04-20-2005, 02:46 PM
something tells me that you should not refrigerate cooked fish. It don't tthink it keeps that well.

No worries. She'll be right, mate.
Winter 's just around the corner, down under.
Soon it'll be Arctic fish and happy CPU's and "who left that flamin' window open ? brrrrrr !" :lol:

Of course, a couple of Xeons would help warm the house in Winter. :shock:

Empty_5oul
04-20-2005, 06:21 PM
V can you catch chaz then in the contest ??

vaughan
04-21-2005, 02:37 AM
Insufficient data available to compute.

gamer007
04-24-2005, 10:46 PM
Is the contest still on? The stats looks like it hasn't been updated for a while now.

NeoGen
04-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Yes, the contest has always been running. I've updated it yesterday, and will update again in about an hour.

What stats are you talking about?

gamer007
04-24-2005, 11:24 PM
OK, just making sure because no one was posting here.

vaughan
04-25-2005, 12:21 AM
My cable and dial-up ISP went back on line at about 3am AEST. Might make the SOB stats line look off but Neogen's stats should be OK today. I think Chaz is going to catch me soon :shock:

Empty_5oul
04-25-2005, 07:28 AM
if you stick at 40,000 and he at 50,000 there is very little gain per hour.

gamer007
04-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Finally regained my 1st place in WhatPulse! :P

NeoGen
04-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Beware of bwhite... he's been quiet for a while. Probably preparing another one of those mega flushes... :P

And if anyone noticed, the Dnet stats are not so good. Dnet has been having problems posting their stats on time the last couple of days, I hope the problem is solved soon, but in the meantime the contest stats have been showing the stats one day behind...

The Grub site was down too today... so no update :?

vaughan
04-28-2005, 12:31 AM
gamer007 - what are you playing. Must be something that uses lots of keystrokes and few mouse scrolls or clicks!

Thanks for the update Neogen. However, the SOB stats made me want to :sad2:

Empty_5oul
04-28-2005, 07:59 AM
whats up with my CB score http://stats.free-dc.org/new/teamstats.php?proj=cb&team=AMD+Users

- 19,000,000,000 :S

Ototero
04-28-2005, 10:10 AM
The CB stats from yesterday had us dropping millions, so I ignored them. Todays look ok. Except that Oli seems to have done quite well recently ;)

Empty_5oul
04-28-2005, 01:24 PM
you reckon it will resolve itself by tomorrow then ???

Ototero
04-28-2005, 06:08 PM
If it doesn't, email them. But Bok only process what he receives. My CB stats today show you having a big drop (not possible).

NeoGen
04-29-2005, 12:16 AM
Regarding the contest, I'm happy to announce that Dnet has got back on track (and on time) with its stats. And also Grub, whose website had failed yesterday, today had its two-days-worth update. :)

vaughan
04-29-2005, 01:05 AM
Grumbles ... I did 1000 in Grub last night on dial-up and it didn't show in their stats ... Grrrr!

Ototero
04-29-2005, 05:55 AM
Dhep was down yesterday, so no stats. Also CB today, we're up to 3rd for real.....loads of users stats missing though.

Seti Classic site has also been down for a while.

I see the state of play tonight.

Empty_5oul
04-30-2005, 06:46 AM
i went on the Free DC forums and asked, it seems that one of my machine has reverted to anon/no team so i have then - . When i put it back and it all refreshes i should be ok.

Empty_5oul
04-30-2005, 06:47 PM
i got it sorted and looking at the stats i am back on your trail ot.
http://stats.free-dc.org/new/teamstats.php?proj=cb&team=AMD+Users

AMDave
05-03-2005, 01:18 PM
The CB stats from yesterday had us dropping millions, so I ignored them. Todays look ok. Except that Oli seems to have done quite well recently ;)

I have noticed that if you view the stats whilst the CB project is running a game, many of the users are not in the stats file because the project server is updating them at the time. If Bok's stats update happens to occur during a game this is why we see lots of points drops on the "current" figures. The next stats update after the game has finished generally corrects everything as long as the CB server has finished updating all the users stats by the time the file is read.

There is also an intermittent problem where users appear to drop out of the stats file until the next CB stats file update on the CB server. That problem has been around for some time.

There is another scenario where points appear to shift backwards and forwards between users which is a deliberate attempt by certain users to kid themselves into thinking that they have achieved a stomp. It isnt. I have checked.

Empty_5oul
05-03-2005, 06:10 PM
i wasnt looking for a stomp, i would be happy enough if my stats just added up as normal.

NeoGen
05-04-2005, 03:17 AM
Hey everyone

I just noticed that something happened on the Find-a-Drug stats... 9 people disappeared from our team for no reason...

To you guys... ahab, Elez, SlackPawn, Eric;9, Matt;7, Bad, COOGS, Pasadena, PoloDeNante... if you guys didn't change team then don't worry, your stats will be accounted for the contest when you reappear again.

Something must have gone wrong in the FAD stats page, but it will be fixed soon.

AMDave
05-04-2005, 08:23 AM
i wasnt looking for a stomp, i would be happy enough if my stats just added up as normal.

LOL - Empty_5oul, I wasn't referring to anyone in our CB Team. I wasn't sure how to put it tactfuly so I left out the reference, but I should have made that more clear. Apologies.

Empty_5oul
05-04-2005, 08:35 AM
ah, i see.

np dave.

NeoGen
05-21-2005, 02:30 AM
Hey everyone!

I'm a bit late, but I've done it. Another month has passed on the contest, and even though it's been silent these last couple of weeks, I've always been here watching over everyone.
I haven't updated the first post in a while. Been a bit lazy :P But the full tables on the website are updated everyday, and you can check them following the link to it that is right on the first post.
But without further delay, here's a little summary of how this last month was, and comparing to the first month.

17-or-Bust
In the two months I've been watching we produced 232.74 Tera cEM's, which is about 25% of our total production on this project!
Last month our production was 107.8 T cEM's, which means that this month we produced 124.94 T cEM's.

DNet OGR25
A month ago I had measured 482,213 GNodes for our first month of production. And today I see our two month production being 907,228 GNodes.
It's almost a million GNodes done in two months, and that is incredible, seeing that our team has only little over three million GNodes overall.
Our production lowered a little bit, from 482,213 GNodes in the first month to 425,015 GNodes in this second month.

DNet RC5-72
If in one month we had managed to put out 43,416 Blocks, in two months we put out 85,660 Blocks, which means our production was stable here.
We outputted 42,244 Blocks this month which is very close to what we had done last month.
But crunching 85,660 Blocks in two months is amazing, because our grand total on this project is currently 194,485 Blocks.

Find-a-Drug
We are going strong in many projects, and this is one of them. In two months of contest our production was 12,573,648 GFlops.
Given that in the first month we had only crunched 5,890,344 GFlops, that means that this month we crunched 6,683,304 GFlops. We are raising the bar here, lets see if we can keep it up.

Folding@Home
112,006 Points done in two months. Now this is a respectable output that has earned us some ranks up already.
In the first month of contest we had done 57,380 Points, and this month we didn't drop much from it, putting out 54,626 Points.

Grub
This is my favorite one to watch. And for you to see how well we're doing, in the first month we had outputted a staggering 20,246,668 URL's.
And this month we raised the bar even more and outputted 24,200,926 URL's, totalling in 44,447,594 URL's for the two months.

WhatPulse
To finish, one project we really have been jumping up lately. In two months we submited 19,840,624 Keypresses. Out of curiosity I did a few averages and learned that in these two months our team has been on average submitting 3.7 keypresses every second of the day and night.
An impressive value, and even more if we consider that we've dropped quite a bit here this month, from 11,387,962 Keys last month to 8,452,662 Keys this month.

Well, the contest is just a couple of weeks from ending, and most of the winners seem to be already defined due to the distance they have to their closest opponents. But surprises can still happen... ;)

Ototero
05-21-2005, 10:22 AM
Thanks Neo, a good summary. :D

SB2
05-22-2005, 04:27 PM
Well, the contest is just a couple of weeks from ending, and most of the winners seem to be already defined due to the distance they have to their closest opponents. But surprises can still happen...

Maybe, maybe not http://www.sb2.dyndns.org:8080/images/smiliesfor%20BB/Up_to_something.gif http://www.sb2.dyndns.org:8080/images/smiliesfor%20BB/angel.gif

NeoGen
05-31-2005, 04:57 PM
7 days to go people!

It's almost finished and still I see surprises. :) If it weren't for OGR25's stats not be updated on the site by the time I made the contest values update, SlackPawn would already have conquered DMMc's 1st place. :P

Last chance for everyone! Let's put those machines (and fingers :P) working! :)

NeoGen
06-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Contest ends tomorrow!

Make your last flushes today people, because in less than 24 hours it's over. Be aware that projects like Dnet for example only update the stats every 24 hours. If you miss their deadline for flushing data it will not be accounted for tomorrow's stats.

On a side note... I confess I did not think our team could push so much on these projects like it did in these last 2 and a half months of contest. Our increase in the ranks tables show just that. Great work team!! :D

Empty_5oul
06-06-2005, 08:24 PM
well done neo.

beer - i have just seen you begin on your "take position" mission :P i will enjoy it whilst i am ahead.

NeoGen
06-07-2005, 08:36 PM
The Contest is Finished!

Congratulations to our 5 winners!!!
=D< =D< =D< =D< =D< =D< =D< =D< =D< =D<
=D< =D< =D< =D< =D< =D< =D< =D< =D< =D<

bwhite (DNet RC5-72 & Grub Champion)

Chaz (17-or-Bust Champion)

DMMc (Folding@Home Champion)

gamer007 (WhatPulse Champion)

SlackPawn (DNet OGR25 & Find-a-Drug Champion)

And also congratulations and thanks to everyone that participated but did not win. :)
A long journey of contest ends today, with the crowning of the top crunchers at the specified contest projects. Some of our winners might have won by sheer raw power, others might have won by strategy, but in the end both kinds of efforts prevailed. :)

This contest was not just for measuring members power, but it was also a great lesson of experience for me about storing and managing stats data, and overcoming all unexpected situations during work (and they were not few)

And in the end, it was of major benefit for the Team, as the spirit of competitivity boosted our members production quite alot and helped us overcome many obstacles and go up dozens and dozens of ranks on the projects. (Sneaking up and overtaking Team Ninja was probably one of the nice side effects the contest produced ;))

On my behalf I can only say that I'm very proud of the Team! :D We, all together, made a fantastic job! I have now some experience and tools for stats handling and am now more ready to host future contests, if the Team wishes :) I still remember that there was a pending idea called "Boinc Grand Prix", courtesy of our admin Vaughan, that I am now ready to host and manage if the Team shows interest on it. ;)

p.s. - When I say "Team" (with a capital T) I mean YOU! ;) Yes, you that are reading this. If you're reading this you're more than likely a member of our team, and so YOU also have right to talk. Speak out your oppinion! Post away! :)

For the full stats tables with the final values, check the following link:
http://neogen.amdusers.com/contest.htm

Ototero
06-08-2005, 06:22 AM
Well done Neo,

An excellent 3 months effort. Congrats to the winners.

:D :D :D

vaughan
06-08-2005, 12:48 PM
Congrats to the winners. Chaz you pulled that out of the bag :!: and I had everything I could that would anyway running SOB. Even my old P166mmx finished its task (it took about 9 months but was running for most of the contest [could you tell :?: ]).

I think we need to vote if we have a BOINC Grand Prix or select some other "conventional" projects for a race. Sort of like a handicap event if we run with BOINC - the more machines / projects you throw at BOINC the more you are handicapped ;)

bwhite
06-08-2005, 02:51 PM
I think we need to vote if we have a BOINC Grand Prix or select some other "conventional" projects for a race. Sort of like a handicap event if we run with BOINC - the more machines / projects you throw at BOINC the more you are handicapped ;)

I agree with BOINC and handicapped being used in the same sentence :lol:

However I'll go with what ever the majority decides.

DMMc
06-08-2005, 03:32 PM

I agree but grudgingly. :protest:

I'd not only have to be handicapped I'd have to be bludgeoned with a cudgel. :violent1: ( is that a redundant statement?)

But what ever is decided I'll play along and do my best :deathlyobsessed: