PDA

View Full Version : Collatz Conjecture News

AMDave
02-05-2014, 06:53 AM
Collatz Back Online with Solo Collatz Only
Collatz is back online but there are a number of changes. First, all applications are OpenCL based including the nVidia and CPU applications. If you wish to use your CPU on this project, you will need either the Intel or AMD OpenCL driver installed. See the project home page for more info and links.Second, all new applications have been deployed for all platforms which do additional internal validation and also gets all platforms back to the exact same code base. They all use the same config file format so they can be optimized the same way as the v4.xx application.The validator will NOT accept data from versions as the output has changed slightly with the addition of v6.xx. While I hope there will be no problems with the new applications, I expect Murphy's Law will prevail.I still have work to do to be able to grant credit for any lost pending and in progress work units, but it is planned.

More... (http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/forum_thread.php?id=1112)

Nflight
02-05-2014, 02:03 PM
From the Discussion following the link at the bottom of the screen shot. It seems the new way of crunching the work units works on Intel Based processors and NVIdia GPu's but not on AMD Gpus. Although the usage of CPU's is now done with all CPU's working on a single Work Unit not one CPU per work Unit. IN other words if you have 4 cores, all cores work on one Work Unit at a time, finish four times faster and then start on the next work unit. IT also seems that due to the way the ATI cards are reporting errors it is impossible to figure out how to make the ATI cards work on this project as of this date. Although the dialogue is brisk today Feb 5th 2014, They may figure out a way around the hurdle and get AMD ATI GPU's to work in the near future.

For now all Work Units take about 10% longer. But Collatz Conjecture is back online! :blob3:

Dirk Broer
02-05-2014, 02:44 PM
The GPU part of my A10-5700 started on a WU but the system seemed to freeze, so I suspended the WU for a while.
Collatz didn't seem to see the HD 7750 in the same system, but it does now.
As all applications (both CPU and GPU) are now OpenCL-based, I have enabled my CPUs too for a try.
Fingers crossed...

Nflight
02-05-2014, 03:36 PM
They were saying that the ATI GPU's need a new driver to compensate, Lets hope they can find a solution!

Dirk Broer
02-05-2014, 04:32 PM
I've already submitted validated rusults using my HD 7790, my HD 4770 and my A10-5700/HD 7750 combo.
My i3 is even running under AMD OpenCL, as that provides OpenCL 1.2, whereas the Intel driver will not go further than OpenCL1.1 for a i3-2100!:rofl: