PDA

View Full Version : New Dimes Client Available

Beerknurd
04-02-2005, 12:14 AM
The Beta version is out now... I'm running it on both computers. I guess we will see how it goes. Here's the link...

http://www.netdimes.org/download.html

make sure you scroll down and download the beta version and not the regular one.

Beerknurd
04-02-2005, 12:46 AM
I can't register the client on my AMD... For some reason it's not connecting to the Dimes server. Maybe it's just down. The interface looks alot better.....

AMDave
04-02-2005, 12:58 AM
Does dimes use less I/O trafic than Grub ?

I have been running Grub for a couple of days at 50% and it was still chewing through my download limit, so I have throttled it all the way back to 10%

NeoGen
04-02-2005, 01:30 AM
Dimes uses almost no bandwidth. It only makes a trace to some IP every 30 seconds or so. Apart from that the only moments where it takes up more bandwidth is when it exchanges files with the server and when it fetches work.

Empty_5oul
04-02-2005, 09:23 AM
yep its nothing compared to grub you dont even notice dimes is running.

beer is it worth updating to the new verison then ????

NeoGen
04-02-2005, 09:40 AM
And does anyone know if this new version works in Win98/ME?

EDIT: And we also could use some more people/computers on it... Boinc Synergy is very close on our hair by what I see on the stats.

vaughan
04-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Anyone got a copy of the 0.4 version? I followed the download link, downloaded it, installed it and its version 0.3.
It conflicts with eOn's GUI such that the eOn GUI flashes or blinks repeatedly which is very annoying. Also, 0.3 won't connect to the internet. The display sits on xp3200 only.

carlos
04-02-2005, 10:43 AM
Version 0.3.9.6 (http://www.netdimes.org/Updates/DimesInstall-0-3-9-6.exe)

Version 0.3 (http://www.netdimes.org/dimesinstall.exe)

Empty_5oul
04-02-2005, 12:17 PM
i get an error on install and then i cant get in, i requested my password and can log in fine from their site yet on my machine i put this in at the end of installation and it fails every time. I know my username is correct and ALWAYS use the same password for stuff that is not particually important to me like dimes.

Beerknurd
04-02-2005, 12:27 PM
I couldn't connect to the server on my AMD. So I installed version 0.3 back on it. Everything works fine. The new version works on my Intel though....

vaughan
04-02-2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks Carlos. However, I get the same errors that empty and B got using my AMD. Unable to connect, will try again in 4s, 8s, 16s etc.

Empty_5oul
04-02-2005, 01:14 PM
at least on the site they say there are still some errors ec waiting to be ironed out.

Beerknurd
04-02-2005, 03:51 PM
Was anyone else able to install the new client on their AMD???

Empty_5oul
04-02-2005, 04:33 PM
it would appear not.

DMMc
04-02-2005, 06:00 PM

Not here. Tried it on 4 systems to same ends as you. Looks good but get diddly when It tries to connect

carlos
04-02-2005, 08:06 PM

No.

I told Eran about this problem.

Carlos

Ohad
04-03-2005, 12:22 PM
hey guys. My name is ohad and i am from the Dimes team. we would love to have this problem debugged with your help . first of all - check if this url is responding:

https://www.netdimes.org/DIMES/propertiesUpdate

second - if someone can look at this directory :
C:\Program Files\DIMES\Agent\Classes\Base\Outgoing
and send me the files that it contains - that would be great - those are the log files of the agent.

send them to support@www.netdimes.org

Ohad :)

Empty_5oul
04-03-2005, 01:06 PM
yep :
Welcome
You have reached the DIMES Properties Update servlet using a GET command.

It is however designed for sending an XML file using POST.

VERSION 0.2.4.3

Empty_5oul
04-03-2005, 01:08 PM
i have mailed my outgoing through as well.
I have been running DIMEs before updating to the newer version and not yet managed to log in on this newer one.

vaughan
04-03-2005, 01:18 PM
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Welcome</TITLE></HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Welcome</H1>

You have reached the DIMES Properties Update servlet using a GET command.</P>

It is however designed for sending an XML file using POST.</P>
VERSION 0.2.4.3
</BODY></HTML>

I attempted to e-mail the files but hotmail says:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

support@www.netdimes.org

Ohad, do you have a functioning e-mail address?

Ohad
04-03-2005, 01:33 PM
try :
ohad@eng.tau.ac.il

AMDave
04-03-2005, 01:46 PM
not that it counts for much but it works fine on my ole'
AMD K7-7 1300Mhz, running in debug mode at the moment.

and on the P4-2Ghz and on the Cel 2.8Ghz

Only 1 oddity I noticed. I had to start-then-stop-then-restart the client before it would bring up the registration dialog.

Got any Linux clients Ohad ?
(Command line preferred, of course ;) )

Ototero
04-03-2005, 01:46 PM
Thanks Ohad,

I have the same issues as the other guys. No point in emailing the same results.

Ohad
04-03-2005, 02:36 PM
we are trying to figure out what went wrong. there are 3 possibilities :

1. installing the agent without uninstalling it first is causing this problem. :? very amateur i know.

2. installing the agent while the old version is still running.

3. could be the communication is successful, however he agent doesn't interpret it correctly.

does any of these scenarios ring a bell to anyone ?

Ohad

btw - linux version is coming up slowly. hopefuly, after the agent is stable and on the road we would speed up the development...

Empty_5oul
04-03-2005, 02:39 PM
i mailed mine without the www as i got the same response as V.

AMDave
04-03-2005, 02:43 PM
btw - linux version is coming up slowly. hopefuly, after the agent is stable and on the road we would speed up the development...

Smashing. Look forward to it.
Thx Ohad.

vaughan
04-03-2005, 10:40 PM
I didn't un-install v0.3 I can't get v0.3 to run anymore (that's why I wanted to update). It just sits there with xp3200.
I changed routers recently - perhaps that caused it to misbehave? Netgear RP614 replaced by Linksys BEFSR41v4.

AMDave
04-04-2005, 07:58 AM
I have had 3 clients working for over 24 hours and still 0 on the stats.

How often are the stats accumulated ?

Ohad
04-04-2005, 08:20 AM
we have 0-3-9-7b now on the site - (www.netdimes.org/Updates/DimesInstall-0-3-9-7.exe) - we have'nt figured out the problem yet - but the error handling is better and there should be a better view of which error occurs when you all try to connect.
So here is what i need you to do - install the newer version and i case there are problems send me the log files from :
C:\Program Files\DIMES\Agent\Classes\Base\Outgoing \log
to : ohad@eng.tau.ac.il

also - there is another problem that occurs in amd ci omputers that have beside dimes other low priority tasks :
this is a quote from the DIMES forum :

John McLeod VII wrote:
I am suffering from a somewhat more severe form of a bug already listed in bugzilla. The bugzilla bug indicates that on some machines the agent graphics take a long time to spin up and start showing the network. My experience is that on some machnes, a long time becomes never.

John, what you could try is to suspend boinc before starting dimes. When dimes is running, which should be almost immediately, then let boinc run again. This works in my case. The boinc programs and dimes both run with priority low. Apparently dimes does not get enough time slices to start.

Note to the dimes team: is it possible to start dimes with normal priority, and once it is running (e.g. the first traceroute is issued), then change its priority to low?
thanx for tutta55 for the help on that.

Ohad[

AMDave
04-04-2005, 11:23 AM
I have upgraded the client on all 3 nodes. I shut the old version down on each machine before running the install.

Only 2 oddities showed up.

all ok on AMD K7-7 Win2K

on the P4 WinXP all OK but when I click on the "X" control it actually shuts dimes down instead of minimising to the tray

on both the P4 WinXP and the Cel Win2K, the install process hung when trying to install "MTR.dll".
On the P4 I uninstalled the old dimes using its uninstall icon, but the same thing happend. So then I just clicked on "Ignore" on both machines and let the install run through.

It appears to be running ok on both now.

No stats yet for any of the nodes.....2 days, 6 installs, no stats...still waiting.

All 3 new upgrade installs show up under my user name.

The 1st version 3.0 install is still there, but still shows 0 stats.

The install for the other 2 have never shown up.

I suppose they will have to be cleaned up later.

Also confirmed - per vaughan's post - does not play well with eOn.

Seems to be ok with CB, Dnet, SaH, WhatPulse, TKC.

Due to it's java core we ought to test it with TSC, D2OL, DHEP and Zeta...has anyone installed alongside any of these yet ?

AMDave
04-04-2005, 11:33 AM
HUGE interface code update
Looks great
No graph on any of the clients tho, with or without anything else running.
Will wait until tomorrow before submitting log files.

vaughan
04-04-2005, 12:36 PM
Did an uninstall then an install of the new 0.3.9.7 client. Same issues. I temporarily halted SOB and eOn but still had DHEP running when I did all this. I cannot close DHEP as it has been running for several days now and the DHEP site is down. As soon as it comes on-line again my client will report (mega flush!!!). Then I can shut down and re-boot and install DIMES without anything else running.

I have noticed that when the eOn GUI is maximised and the DIMEs client loads that it conflicts with the eOn GUI. The eOn GUI blinks every second or so.

AMDave
04-04-2005, 01:14 PM
Have read through the Dimes forum.
Some questions answered there.
They have found some bugs.
Still working through them.
They advised that this would be a series of Beta's.
Expect to see another version number soon.

Those VRML images are great.

DMMc
04-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Got the latest release and followed instructions listed. Client running but now no graphics. :dontknow:
Had same issue with last stable on some systems so no biggie but I wanted to see the pretty colors :-(

Empty_5oul
04-04-2005, 05:01 PM
i downloaded a new version (0.3.9.7b according to the website) but i still can't log in.
Ohad i see you gave a new address is it worth me sending my new files, i will wait for the moment.

Empty_5oul
04-04-2005, 08:23 PM
just looking at the stats from Free DC and why are my stats so low ???
i am being out produced by everyone and it is installed on a 3200+ and running 24/7 so i can't understand it.

Beerknurd
04-04-2005, 08:29 PM
the stats have been extremely slow the past couple of days....

Goto Bok's stats and look at my normal output and compare it to the past couple of days. I would wait for the stats to catch up before getting too worked up about yours being wrong. All of ours are.

http://stats.free-dc.org/new/teamstats.php?proj=dimes&team=AMD+Users

You can really tell a difference in bwhite's stats.......

Empty_5oul
04-04-2005, 09:02 PM
k, hopefully it will sort itself out now the new version of DIMES is released/"beta"

Beerknurd
04-04-2005, 10:09 PM
the new update still doesn't work...... I had to put version 3 back on my amd......

Ohad
04-05-2005, 06:49 AM
hey everyone.
new 0-3-9-7 is on the site - hopefully that will be the last of our puny attempts to solve the communication problems. it seems that the problem occurs specially when you install on an older version or an older beta version - also not always.

so vaughan , Empty_5oul and Beerknurd - you are welcome to try again and beta test us.

as for the measurements - we are running some maintenance on the data - and believe me it's a lot of data! so many links and IPs it makes me all excited... never mind... anyway as soon as wer'e done with testing the 0-4 we will make sure NOTHING :shock: interrupts the statistics.

Ohad

Empty_5oul
04-05-2005, 08:53 AM
i received the e-mail, am doing it now.
i will post again soon with my progress.

Empty_5oul
04-05-2005, 09:01 AM
i am sorry top say the old problem is still there.
I have mailed you with more information.

vaughan
04-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Ohad,
I went to the netdimes site, clicked on Download and got the installer. I ran this and it is 0.3, for crying out loud, what is wrong now! At least this version got past the annoying communications error. Now it just sees 2 IP addresses as per this screenshot:

http://img199.exs.cx/img199/494/dimes5ja.th.png (http://img199.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img199&image=dimes5ja.png)

NeoGen
04-05-2005, 11:18 AM
vaughan, I can't open that image. I click on the thumbnail and it just opens a blank IE window.

And a question for Ohad... has the problem with Win98/ME been solved? I remember trying with v0.3 and it always errored out.

vaughan
04-05-2005, 11:48 AM
That's odd, it works for me from my xp3200. Hang 5 whilst I try the xp3000 by dial-up.
Update: It worked on the other PC on dial-up. Firefox 1.0.2 blocked some stupid pop-up but the screenshot was visible.

Ohad
04-05-2005, 11:55 AM
vaughan , you must have clicked the Download button with the cactus -
so you actually downloaded version 0-3. you should get to the home page and look in the buttons on the left, where it prints "Install" - when the page opens you will see the link to the beta version.

here is the url to your convenience :

http://www.netdimes.org/download.html

we are still on beta testing now - so the official download is of 0-3 . but there is a big pressure to get over with the beta testing and reach 0-4: next there will be an article about the project in Science magazine - so we expect many installations.

Ohad

Ohad
04-05-2005, 11:56 AM
oh and btw : we haven't solved the issues of windows 98/ ME. sorry. linux version comes first.

vaughan
04-05-2005, 12:16 PM
You are quite right Ohad. I'll try the beta next!

Empty_5oul
04-05-2005, 12:43 PM
was mine ok then, i got stuck at the same stage and couldnt log in. so i sent my files back to you (again).

vaughan
04-05-2005, 09:14 PM
Ohad - communications failure with 0.3.9.7b
I give up, will wait until version 0.4 is out.

carlos
04-05-2005, 09:33 PM
I have the same problem.
Once I got the client running but it closed by itself on a P2 machine!

CArlos

Beerknurd
04-06-2005, 01:30 PM
It seems that ever since I upgraded to the new client my stats have been alot less... Is it server issues or is the older client faster for some reason... I may try installing the old client tonight and see if my stats improve.

Empty_5oul
04-06-2005, 02:23 PM
ohad did say after this beta testing the stats will be sorted.

Beerknurd
04-06-2005, 02:44 PM
I hope so.....

Empty_5oul
04-06-2005, 10:16 PM
i dont know why but i just went on their site to login and found i had a different login defaulting to Empty_5oul353 i managed to log in through this and it had 2,000 odd points so i added this to AMD.

Incase Ohad or other Dimes people read can i have just one account, have never knowingly set new accounts i think by installing the beta client did it. I want just one account to the name of Empty_5oul and going to the team AMD Users.

Ohad
04-07-2005, 10:05 AM
we have managed to figure out the problem with the registration. caused by installing the 0-3-9-7b over the old agent without uninstalling first. that will be our next task.

and the stats :
the new agent has the ability to send files faster and to wait less between measurements (you can set it all in the properies menu
(Agent->properties). however - Dimes is growing fast and we have a little difficulty handling all the data that's coming from all the agents -
but have no worry : all the results are saved on files and will be proccessed in the future.

Ohad

Empty_5oul
04-07-2005, 10:58 AM
i got your mail, excellent thanks.
i am glad that is one problem less then.

to overcome the uninstall problem you could do what adaware does and at the start of the new installation have DIMES check for an older version and if it finds one uninstall it before installing the newer one.

Ohad
04-07-2005, 01:17 PM
we could do that - thing is we want to allow the user to stay with his old agent ID and not force him to do the registration proccess all over again.

Empty_5oul
04-07-2005, 03:43 PM
ok. like games do have a "save" file that is not deleted so the new DIMES agent can pick it up and not need a registration but tell you this is registered to xxxxx.

Ohad
04-11-2005, 06:05 AM
yup. exactly

AMDave
04-11-2005, 02:07 PM
oh and btw : ... linux version comes first.

Yipee !

Ohad
04-12-2005, 10:16 AM
more updates on Linux... our linux team (two nice computer science students) have a command line version - GUI is not working yet , but the agent is functioning and measuring.
I will keep you updated. :cool:
Ohad

AMDave
04-12-2005, 10:47 AM
I'll take the Linux CLI version for a run now if you like...
I have to admit that I do prefer the CLI clients, esp. in Linux.

Ohad
04-12-2005, 01:05 PM
gladly - but first we have to make sure the measurements it performs are taken correct. anyway - whenevr this version comes youll be the first to know. even command line.

AMDave
04-12-2005, 03:29 PM
:D

Empty_5oul
04-12-2005, 07:06 PM
shoud be quicker as well, nothing wasted on pretty graphics and bouncing boxes.