PDA

View Full Version : Picard stomped, now for 8th

vaughan
04-05-2005, 05:28 AM
Well now that 72CJ5 has joined the cause in eOn we have seen off the challenge from Team-TNT and today we stomped Team Picard. Now onwards to 8th and Team Namibia. I wonder if the Ninjas will notice?

Empty_5oul
04-05-2005, 09:09 AM
is there a better stats page anywhere?

JackindBox
04-05-2005, 09:34 AM
we always notice :D

Empty_5oul try this one http://stats.free-dc.org/new/projpage.php?proj=eon

Empty_5oul
04-05-2005, 09:46 AM
thats better thanks the other is too static, you can't tell anything from it.

vaughan
04-05-2005, 10:27 AM
I thought you would J :D

JackindBox
04-05-2005, 10:45 PM
heh so much for sneaking up on us :headbang:

vaughan
04-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Maybe we need a motto: To boldly go :!:

JackindBox
04-05-2005, 11:28 PM
actually Gunslinger did that to stomp us in Ninja :roll:

the timing was kinda funny tho :P

JackindBox
04-07-2005, 12:11 AM
woah thats some nice output in EON 72cj5 :crazyeyes:

Impressive,grasshopper

bigdog
04-07-2005, 02:13 AM
Hey team I am new to the team but can we step it up and give Team Ninja a run for it?????

What do you say????

bigdog

Brucifer
04-07-2005, 04:05 AM
Sounds like a real good idea to me!!!! :D

vaughan
04-07-2005, 07:27 AM
Welcome to the team bigdog. Many hands make light work; or in this case help eOn do its job.

Empty_5oul
04-07-2005, 09:39 AM
you are doing a good job between you, keep it up.

the margin isnt that great between us and two positions so keep pushing and we can take it.

AMDave
04-07-2005, 11:23 AM
Hi & welcome, bigdog.
We are making excellent time.
I see you are out-producing me now.
You are not far behind me already.
I should have started sooner. doh!
Yesterday I thought I was going to get away, but not any more.
The stats say you'll pass me in 3.8 days, but that keeps getting shorter every time chessbrain fires up.
And, in about 11 hours I'll drop most of my output as I have to switch 2 machines back from Linux to Windows VPN connection for work for the day.
No eOn output possible whilst the VPN tunnel is up :(
After that I'll get back to Linux but I'll be playing catch up, I think.

bigdog
04-07-2005, 04:58 PM
Anybody else on the team going to fire up some EON Clients???? Lets pump out some EON workunits.

bigdog

JackindBox
04-07-2005, 06:03 PM
and make sure you say Ni! when ya do :lol:

Brucifer
04-07-2005, 08:10 PM
Well I'm about full tilt on eon now. All mine are currently running except for one broken xp2600, and I have one dual boot system running windows/linux that doe rc5 when on windows, and eon when on linux.

So if the team is going to increase output then the increase needs to come from some others.... :pottytrain5:

Jeff
04-07-2005, 09:19 PM
Does EON run faster on Linux?

I have this copy of Linspire 5 that I want to try out!

Jeff

JackindBox
04-07-2005, 09:32 PM
yes EON runs much faster on linux than windows
according to some about half what it takes windows to do a unit

Jeff
04-07-2005, 09:34 PM
I wonder if Linspire is a good platform to run it on

DMMc
04-07-2005, 09:42 PM
I wonder if Linspire is a good platform to run it on

Better question would be will Linsipre LET you install and run it. In the past for me I've had issues with their distros letting things NOT loaded with CNR run . They may have addressed this in version 5 but after 3 years of playing with it I got tired of just another Lynix version. And opted NOT to renew my insider status.

Empty_5oul
04-07-2005, 10:21 PM
i tried Eon earlier but i couldnt get it to work. i got a DOS box but it appeared to not be doing anything.

Brucifer
04-07-2005, 11:18 PM
It should really just boil down to whether you have a "terminal" windows available on linspire. If you do, then you should be able to install eon as long as tar is installed, and also perl. To linux, tar is sorta like air to us., so I'd be shocked if tar wasn't installed on your system. Perl also should be as that is pretty much a standard part of almost all linux distributions.

What I do is create an eon directory within my home directory:
mkdir eon
then I copy the eon_client.tar.gz into the eon directory.

The issue the command:
tar -zxvf eon_client.gz and press enter and it should blow it apart, reate a new subdirectory. Change into that directory and type:
./setuser.pl and press enter
it then asks you to enter your email address. It also assumes that perl is installed. And then all you need to do is enter ./client and press enter and you should be off and running. :)

chaz
04-08-2005, 12:19 PM
Has anyone tried this with a diskless client? I am interested, but i'm not about to reformat to run this just yet...
How much memory does it use? Maybe I can get it to run from a ramdrive.

AMDave
04-08-2005, 01:54 PM
I just tried it out with Knoppix and Lindows
Knoppix for some reason wouldn't boot up on the test machine.
Lindows came up from the CD ok though.
Then I discovered no free partition space and no floppy drive.
What the heck. I got this far lets give it a go.
I found the Lindows "My Documents" directory, opened the web browser and untarred both eOn and CB straigt from the web.
They appear to be running from their binaries wholy in RAM.

If you continue to open lots of CB clients and memory runs short, Lindows appears to terminate the oldest session you opened.
eOn appears to be running along nicely and was not terminated when I opened too many CB clients.

eOn was nice'd to 19 and CB was nice'd to 18

No floppy disk, no USB key, Just the *nix CD.
Total set up time - 5 minutes.

I am quite impressed as I had never tried it before.

Brucifer
04-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Nice report AMDave!!! :) And once stuff is loaded up and just running eon, I'll bet it's pretty quiet too. That's cool, cause cr-drives are cheaper than HD's. :)

Empty_5oul
04-08-2005, 04:24 PM
sounds good dave, i am planning this week end of finishing creating my linux machine and then installing Suse 9.2 to get the feel - if i get a 80G drive or even a 40 i could get some other OS on there as well in the future depending if i like linux.

AMDave
04-09-2005, 12:22 AM
Good man.
I like to have choice in operating systems.
Just one word of caution though, please don't base you impression of Linux on one version. There are so many and they vary a lot in look and feel, stability, application sets and update frequency.

I think I have given about 12 versions of Linux a tryout. You should like Suse anyway because of the look & feel similarity to what you are used to. Thats a good place to start.

I like to have more low-level control so I am using RedHat and Fedora. But ultimately I'd like to get Debian up on my machines. I have a couple of video hardware issues to resolve for that though.

I hope you like Linux. Even if you don't, I still keep my Mandrake 9.0 install CD handy & use DrakX to rescue broken windows partitions :lol: It has saved a few machines now.

Empty_5oul
04-09-2005, 07:54 PM
it failed at the start, i started putting it on but as sonn as it had finsihed with the first disk it stopped and said put in disk 2. i thought greta its all going well, however it crashes at this point :S and ideas?

Ototero
04-10-2005, 02:51 PM
Vaughn, you've just been stomped by 72CJ5.

Not a nice birthday present.

Anyway, congrats to 72CJ5 (or shall we call you .............)

AMDave
04-10-2005, 03:25 PM
it failed at the start, i started putting it on but as sonn as it had finsihed with the first disk it stopped and said put in disk 2. i thought greta its all going well, however it crashes at this point :S and ideas?

First you will want to check that the CD images are intact.
On their web site where you can download the CD images, you will find a tool that checks the integrity of the CD set. The image on the CD should produce a check number that matches that on the web site for the same version. If it does not then you have a corrupt CD and should get it replaced by the issuer.

Secondly check their hardware compatibility list for your hardwware to ensure that there is not some kind of conflict.

Alternatively it could just be a hiccup.
Have you tried the process again with the same result ?

AMDave
04-10-2005, 03:38 PM

Ototero...I think you have a rank 10 somewhere...or maybe not ;)

Brucifer
04-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Sorry about any stomps as they aren't intentional, but rather just happen in the process of accumulating points..... :(

My output is going to be decreasing overall as it is warming up here and my electric bill is rapidly increasing due to A/C costs and an unhappy spouse. So I'll end up running about half the systems that I have been in the past.

Lagu
04-10-2005, 10:31 PM

Impressive,grasshopper

How the hell can you run a workunit in 28 tim? Others whould run this wu much longer time. Is it because you has Linux as op?

Lagu :D

Lagu
04-10-2005, 10:42 PM

Not a nice birthday present.

Anyway, congrats to 72CJ5 (or shall we call you .............)

Ototero!

We should call him for "The rapidly jumped man" TRJM LOL

Brucifer
04-11-2005, 12:06 AM

Impressive,grasshopper

How the hell can you run a workunit in 28 tim? Others whould run this wu much longer time. Is it because you has Linux as op?

yes