Thread: October 2014 competitions

Cool October 2014 competitions

October again! My home town celebrates the good outcome -for them- of the 1574 siege by the Spaniards. Leftovers, still to be enjoyed: Herring with white bread and Hutspot! Oh, and we got a University for it too.
    Challenge-wise we've got this far:

October 04 to October 09 - World Animal Day Challenge
    A 5 day Challenge is being offered on PrimeGrid's The Riesel Problem (LLR) application. To participate in the Challenge, please select only the The Riesel Problem (LLR) project in your PrimeGrid preferences section. The challenge will begin 4 October 2014 18:00 UTC and end 9 October 2014 18:00 UTC. Application builds are available for Linux , Windows and MacIntel 32 bit and 64 bit. CPU's with AVX capabilities will be significantly faster than the ones without, as this instruction set allows for more computing power.
    ATTENTION: The primality program LLR is CPU intensive; so, it is vital to have a stable system with good cooling. It does not tolerate "even the slightest of errors." Please see this post for more details on how you can "stress test" your computer. WU's will take ~6 hours on fast/newer computers and 12+ hours on slower/older computers. If your computer is highly overclocked, please consider "stress testing" it. Sieving is an excellent alternative for computers that are not able to LLR. Please, please, please make sure your machines are up to the task.

PrimeGrid's World Animal Day Challenge forum page

October 10 to October 14 - CRUNCHATHLON GPUGRID [MONTHLY RUN - RACE II]
    For the GPU heavies: Crunchers sans frontieres has a GPUGrid challenge. Used to be -and AFAIK still is- nVidia only, Double Precision -despite what I said earlier- is no prerequisite (but when your nVidia card DOES have double precision in a usable amount it is bound to have very good Single Precision capability -the last Maxwell chips have DP at 1/32(!) of the SP performance...). My GTX 650 just does not cut it though...My GTX 260 did, before it died.

CRUNCHATHLON GPUGRID chat and stats page

October 11 to October 16 - The Moon*Shine Challenge
    Those of us with 'normal' GPUs (or CPUs/APUs even) can opt for the Moon*Shine Challenge, as Sicituradastra wants to set AriZonaMoon* in the light by crunching Einstein@Home for her.

The Moon*Shine Challenge chat and stats page

October 20 to October 27 - Gerasim@Home october challenge
    Has there ever been a Gerasim challenge before? (YES!) The name suggest something on a regular base...Organized by the jolly Colombians out of the Ukraine, this is their second -the first was in June of this year.

Gerasim@Home october challenge chat and stats page

The Adolf von Baeyer race has just started, let's give Jason/Ramjet a hand and try for a #1 spot! At the moment we are in 3rd place...
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 10-31-2014 at 12:21 AM.

added a few cores back as some were shut off after meeting the badge goals for UGM. A race is a good reason to fire a few back up and chase badges in a few other projects.

I will rebuild my i3 Ubuntu box into a Win7 box for my son -replacing his old Socket 478 P4-, to replace the i3 for me I will re-launch my old ASUS F1A75, but now with a quad core A8-3850 instead of the triple core A6-3500. I like the full cores of my Llano's better than the bulldozer modules of my A10 Trinity. For the next WCG challenge -that will last 10 days- I might add a quad AM1 Athlon 5350 to the farm as well, testing Win10.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 10-31-2014 at 08:42 AM.

Dirk you are braver then I as I don't know if I wanna touch any version of windows after windows 7. I have been running Ubuntu 14.04 server(no gui) on my latest monster. This seems to work pretty well for me with Boinctasks. I look forward to hearing how the AM1 machine works out for you.

I plan to put some Linux distro on the AM1 machine(s) as soon as MicroSoft will end the free Win10 trial version(s).
    I have done the same with Win8, those three machines became my Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu boxen.
    Apart from the AsRock AM1H-ITX AM1 mobo that can also be powered by a 19V DC Jack and that costs 50 Euro's, all AM1 boards are around 30 Euro's over here.
    Rumour has it that the Athlon 5350 on the ASUS boards can be overclocked to 2500 MHz, using the stock cooler...I'll mod a better cooler to fit the -tiny- AM1 dimensions.