Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just how many of these Quake Catching projects are there?

Just how many of these Quake Catching projects are there?

Getting ever more dazed and confused:

Project AMD Users team Credit score Total members Members with credit Members active
    Quake-Catcher Network Sensor Monitoring
    2 (AMDave and vaughan)
    Quake-Catcher Network Continual Monitoring
    Quake-Catcher Network EMSC / CSEM
    2 (Vaughan and Nflight)
    Quake-Catcher Network Continual EMSC / CSEM
    La Red Atrapa de Sismos
    3 (Vaughan, Nflight and Chris Skull)
    La Red Atrapa de Sismos Continuo
    Quake-Catcher Network (Taiwan)
    3 (Vaughan, Nflight and Chris Skull)
    Quake-Catcher Network Continual (Taiwan)
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 03-24-2016 at 09:05 AM. Reason: They've bloody multiplied!|Updated scores and members

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I have no idea about those projects, does anyone know if they all support the same sort of sensor hardware by chance? They seem to all be around the same kind of "family" of projects, like the spin offs of Climate Prediction.
    I wondered about getting one of those sensors for QCN in the past, but now looking at 4 of them I wouldn't want to have to get a different device for every quake catching project that pops up.
    Last edited by NeoGen; 01-06-2015 at 10:44 PM.

As far as I can discover you should be able to run all eight projects using the same detector (and by the way: they all claim to run on Raspberry Pi).
    As they don't have work all eight of them all the time this seems to be the way AMDave has scored credits in four of them.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 03-24-2016 at 10:38 PM. Reason: correct link http://www.amdusers.com/forum/showthread.php/8114-Raspberry-Pi-is-a-Low-Power-Credit-Card-Sized-Computer; 4->8

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen View Post
    I have no idea about those projects, does anyone know if they all support the same sort of sensor hardware by chance? They seem to all be around the same kind of "family" of projects, like the spin offs of Climate Prediction.
    I wondered about getting one of those sensors for QCN in the past, but now looking at 4 of them I wouldn't want to have to get a different device for every quake catching project that pops up.
    The android app uses the mobile phone / tablet sensors, when the device is plugged in to power, fully charged and the screen is off (ie when the phone stationary and not in use).
    If you have an android phone or tablet you can install the boinc client from the app store.
    The is a URL based menu option for adding non-listed projects like these ... once you find and dig through the menu. It wasn't immediately obvious.
    Instead of selecting "Add project" from the main menu, select the projects view and open the sub-menu via the 3-dots icon on the top-right.
    This should give you the option to "Add project by URL".

PS - I found it wise to add an existing project that you normally crunch on a PC first to get your CPID onto the device so that you don't end up with a CPID split by getting a new CPID for one of these projects when you register with them for the first time. Hopefully that will save you a CPID-splitting headache.
    Last edited by AMDave; 01-09-2015 at 11:29 PM.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Team created in those projects that were missing.

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    Updated the 'Quake Catcher Network' table. The two Stanford based continuals actually have work at the moment too, unlike their Mexican and Taiwanese counterparts.

Quake-Catcher Network Continual (Taiwan) is the first QCN spin-off that for me does *not* throw the error
    "Message from server: This Project doesn't support computers of type arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf",
    leading me to think the errors lie in the other QCN's server departments, not in my client/OS combination (BOINC 7.4.23 client running on Raspbian Jessie).

It -Quake-Catcher Network Continual (Taiwan)- just says there's no work at the moment (after downloading *all* needed files).
    In the list of apps for the project there is even a Raspberry Pi 2 application!

Edit: Quake-Catcher Network Continual (Taiwan) is now running on my Raspberry Pi B+, now hoping for it to communicate well with the accelerometer on the Sense HAT...

If so, I can write code so that the impressive LED array of the Sense HAT will respond to the application...
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 03-24-2016 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    Both EMSC / CSEM projects (EMSC / CSEM and EMSC / CSEM continual) seem to have had a database failure, the team names for AMD Users are 26 and 16, respectively.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 03-24-2016 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    Quake-Catcher Network Continual (Taiwan) is the first QCN spin-off that for me does *not* throw the error
    "Message from server: This Project doesn't support computers of type arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf", leading me to think the errors lie in the other QCN's server departments, not in my client/OS combination (BOINC 7.4.23 client running on Raspbian Jessie). It -Quake-Catcher Network Continual (Taiwan)- just says there's no work at the moment (after downloading *all* needed files). In the list of apps for the project there is even a Raspberry Pi 2 application! Edit: Quake-Catcher Network Continual (Taiwan) is now running on my Raspberry Pi B+, now hoping for it to communicate well with the accelerometer on the Sense HAT...If so, I can write code so that the impressive LED array of the Sense HAT will respond to the application...
    What a bummer! Quake Catcher Network (Taiwan) Continual does not export stats.....

Well, I've disconnected the Pi B+ and have started the Pi 3 in its place.
    The Pi B+ will go on headless and under solar power, Turing should have lived to see it -after all, it crunches Enigma...
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 07-06-2016 at 03:14 PM.

Update (see how the two switches of server facility for the main QCN have costed us in credits):

Project AMD Users team Credit score Total members Members with credit Members active
    Quake-Catcher Network Sensor Monitoring
    Quake-Catcher Network Continual Monitoring
    Quake-Catcher Network EMSC / CSEM
    1 (Nflight)
    Quake-Catcher Network Continual EMSC / CSEM
    La Red Atrapa de Sismos (offline)
    AMD Users team
    La Red Atrapa de Sismos Continuo (offline)
    AMD Users team
    Quake-Catcher Network (Taiwan)
    2 (Chris Skull and Nflight)
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 10-09-2016 at 01:08 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast