Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Banana Pi

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Even if horizontally I would still not feel comfortable with the heat, I myself would probably point a fan or two at it, especially if they were running CPU intensive stuff
    And no kidding, that Octocore is crazy expensive.

The only way to match up these little processors to a full blown x86 processor has got to be to put several of them in a cluster, but then I wonder what is the wattage to cobblestones ratio. Or in other words, if we had a little cluster that was capable of putting out the same performance of a regular x86 chip, would it be more power efficient than said x86 chip?

As heat tends to go up, I think that laying the tower on a side might be a way to prevent cooking an above positioned board, just my 2c.
    And eight small fans can do wonders for this configuration.

The octocore is expensive, but prices are dropping like bricks, it used to be twice that a few months ago!

Efficiency-wise, I made that calculation once putting an 8-core pi cluster against i7 and 8-core FX.
    The x86 won that hands down, being able to complete 8WUs in less time and using less wattage.
    But then the Pi is no speedmonster...

A quick comparison between the major single-board computers available here for less than 60 Euro's:
    PiBattle-BananaVsRaspberry.JPG
    (Click on the image for a better view)

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Wow... that Banana Pi M2 seems really good. That PowerVR GPU especially catches my eye, I remember way back in the day (late 90's?) when PowerVR was a player in the GPU wars for a brief period, along with 3DFX Voodoo, S3, ATI and others... fun times back then.

I have at present a RasPiB+ (almost ready to BOINC) and a Banana Pro (just arrived) and a RasPi2 should arrive very soon.
    The Banana Pi M2 is on my wish list, together with a BeagleBone Black. Then comes the fun part: building a Lego Diorama for them all

That the RasPiB+ isn't crunching yet is because I am bound to a cabled 10-base -ancient speed!- hub at the moment.
    Planning to buy a 450 mbps USB WiFi stick for it...why else buy a board like this with 4 USB ports?
    By means of using a USB-to-2x PS2 adapter, keyboard and mouse only take one USB port. So I've still three ports left (WiFi, QCN + Radioactive@Home?)...
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 03-02-2015 at 10:57 AM.

Banana Pi

I am still following this conversation. I am intrigued at the simplicity yet the complexity being developed to accommodate such diversity in delivering efficiency. This efficiency is what is driving me to think that my Team ( Dirk your soon on that team kind sir) could bring together such a small working prototype then draw on our strengths to complete such a unit to be our extension to our working Product.

The Octopus standing tall is truly a nice arrangement but Dirk is right its better sitting horizontally allowing the air flow to pass through all openings and thus reducing the need for additional fans. My Science background is all about Heat Energy transfer, let me bring my two cents into this conversation and see what you think?

In heat transfer it is the amount of energy in that relates to the energy output and yes I am talking about actual heat not the unbeknownst puffing of our shoulders pronouncing my system is better than yours salute. With the thought of passing wind through the system to cool the boards why not remove all the blades of the fan altogether. In previous years I looked at wild arrangements of energy transfer called lifters - They in turn were observed by Mr Dyson (Vacuum Cleaner man from Sweden I think), who took lifters to the next step and patented the effort of high voltages across a boundary which created a system to pass polarized particles across those boundaries in which air flowed with out blades. Because I know that this effort works and has for years as lifters (who knew you could turn the devices on their sides and still blow air). To make things even better I bet you could withdraw the same content to push air but this time take apart one of these units that blow air from Mr Dyson and evaluate the efforts by converting a stationary amount of energy used to a variable rheostat which could translate into adjustable amounts of air, thus giving you the effect of less energy in and still keeping your systems cools.

Am I over your head in thinking like this or is everyone still with me?

Next time I post I will elaborate on the issue of a Boinc project I have in my head on this Project I am currently working on !

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

I have one simple question I need answered, can you power a Raspberry pie from just a USB port? No outside additional pwr supply!

The Raspberry Pi B+ needs a powered USB connection, delivering 5V with 2A. Older models even can do with as little as 700-750mA, but have less USB ports to enable.
    The A+ even only needs 600mA and this might be low enough to safely power it from a PC -nominally delivering about 500mA.
    I use this powered USB hub to power my Pi's:
    Ports enough to power up to seven boards, so the planned combo of Pi B+, Pi 2, Banana Pro, Banana M2 and BeagleBone won't have problems. If I ever need more ports I can buy 2nd hand Bitcoin Miner's equipment -they use 10-, 20- and even 49-port hubs...
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 03-17-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Thanks Dirk one less worry about Raspberry systems!

Banana Pro compared to Raspberry Pi2

Found a series of articles on HTPC Guides about the Banana Pro vs the Raspberry Pi2:

Raspberry vs Banana Pi Benchmarks – Do SATA and Gigabit Matter?
    Raspberry Pi 2 vs Banana Pi Pro unRAR PAR2 Benchmarks

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast