Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Banana Pi

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    To anyone who thinks Gigabit won't do that much of a difference on one of those machines... oh yes it does! I've always wondered why the Raspberry Pi came with 10/100 adapter... doesn't make sense these days, if anything I would even want 10Gbit for 2015!

And on processing power... the Banana Pi Pro beats the Raspberry with a stick in almost everything you throw at them.
    Last edited by NeoGen; 03-19-2015 at 06:19 AM.

As was to be expected -based upon the specs- the Banana Pi BPI-M2 performs even better than the Banana Pro or the Raspberry Pi2
    Sinovoip, one of the two companies that brought us the original Banana Pi (the other is Lemaker, now active with the Banana Pro)
    has pulled an ace out of their sleeve with the Banana Pi BPI-M2 and in the meantime have brought out a Banana Pi BPI-M1+ too,
    which differs from the Banana Pro mainly in the colour of the PCB and the fact that the Allwinner A20 is on topside where the Banana Pro had it on the backside.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 06-06-2015 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Oops: suspected -> expected

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    You are being served: Orange Pi
    CNX-Software notes that there are three models of the Orange Pi. Two feature Allwinner A20 dual-core chips with ARM Mali-400 graphics, while a third has an Allwinner A31s quad-core processor with PowerVR SGX544MP2 graphics. Each model features 802.11b/g/n WiFi and Gigabit Ethernet, multiple USB ports, HDMI output, AV ports, and expansion headers. Each has 1GB of built-in RAM, but storage configurations vary from model to model, with some featuring built-in NAND flash storage as well as a microSD card slot, while others requires on microSD cards for all storage.
    Prices range from about $40 to $69 and you can order an Orange Pi, Orange Pi Mini, or Orange Pi Plus from AliExpress.
    And they are not sitting on their hands at Orange Pi either: they have brought out Mark 2 versions of their boards, differing in having an Allwinner H3 instead of the A20 (orange Pi Mini and Orange Pi) or A31s (originally meant for the Orange Pi Plus).
    What makes the H3 -another ARM Cortex-A7 chip- tick?
    • It runs at 1600 MHz instead of 1000 MHz, like the A20 or A31s.
    • Manufactured using a 28 nm process, while the A20 was made using a 55 nm process and the A31s used a 40 nm process.

The new Orange Pi Plus:

The new Orange Pi 2:

The new Orange Pi Mini 2:
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 06-06-2015 at 03:43 PM.

The new Banana Pi M3, compared with it's family and it's opponents:

Very interesting! :-)

Will you be testing one of these when they become available?

I've got a raspberry pi but now I guess I'll have to get one of them there banana things. :-)

A Raspberry Pi B+ or a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B?
    The first has an -outdated, but still useful- single-core ARM-11 CPU, the latter a much more capable quad ARM Cortex-A7.

Them Banana thingies come in single, dual, quad and even octo-core...so far all with ARM Cortex-A7 based Allwinner SOCs, as is the case with the likewise equipped Orange Pi's and PCDuino's.

Then there's HummingBoards (single, dual and quads), CuBoxes -wasn't Drezha already busy with them?- (both from Solid-run and using the same ARM Cortex-A9 based i.MX6 SOMs)

And there are Odroids from HardKernel, in various forms too, the XU3 and XU4 having Samsung Exynos5422 (A Cortex-A15 2.1GHz quad core and Cortex-A7 1.5GHz quad core combined in a big.LITTLE implemention) SOCs. The Odroid-C1 has an quad core Amlogic ARM Cortex-A5 though.

Our friends with TSBT swear by AndroidTVs, which they crack open for better cooling "The tronsmart boxes I bought, ripped out of their cases and run on top of a computer case with top fan extraction in the infamous toaster rack are still just chugging along. Neither give huge points etc, but good solid constant crunching for negligible running costs". Mostly with Rockchip RK3188 or RK3288 CPUs.

Chris has a octacore Cubieboard4 with an Allwinner A80 that outperforms an i7 on SubsetSum, read our FaceBook page...
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 07-27-2015 at 11:21 PM.

the B+ :-)

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Wow. The mini 2 is really dense.
    There are some wifi and DTV usb dongles that will not fit close together.
    But the designers were smart and created the extra width by placing the ethernet port in between the 2 usb ports.
    Clever.
    Clearly some thought went into the design.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast