Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Banana Pi

Lol. Almost like someone on the design team actually plays with the product and is aware of conflicts that could arise!! :-)

You clearly have my attention and have spent more time reading and updating myself with these posts. Nice Job Dirk, and I too am following along as you progressively display the nuances of the tiny computer. Very happy with what has been displayed so far, keep going! All eyes forward...

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

So is anyone using any of these to crunch with?? If so, what and what project(s)??

Chris has an active Banana Pi M2 quad running under Android at the moment, I am readying a Banana Pro dual-core.
    For these ARM devices Android is the OS of choice, but I might try Raspbian for the Banana Pro too,
    that would give me the chance to test the Pro against the Raspberry Pi2.

Projects known to work with the mini's include Asteroids, Enigma, Seti, Yoyo (OGR cruncher), Citizen Science Grid (SubsetSum), WCG, Einstein, MilkyWay.
    Look at this posting for projects running on ARM using Android.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 08-21-2015 at 10:50 PM.

Thank you Dirk! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    I've got a raspberry pi but now I guess I'll have to get one of them there banana things. :-)
    After the invasion of the Raspberry Pies there followed a rain of other fruit pies, the Banana Pi the most persistent so far.
    Offered by two companies (BPI and Lemaker, who seems to have split up after the intial M1 and R1 models that they made -and still sell- together) they have rows of Banana's waiting for us.
    The specs -at least- are good:
    Feature Banana Pi M1 Banana Pi M1+ Banana Pro Banana Pi M2 Banana Pi M2+ Banana Pi M3 Banana Pi R1
    Size 92mm x
    60mm
    92mm x
    60mm
    92mm x
    60mm
    92mm x
    60mm
    65mm x
    65mm
    92mm x
    60mm
    148mm x
    100mm
    SOC Allwinner
    A20
    Allwinner
    A20
    Allwinner
    A20
    Allwinner
    A31s
    Allwinner
    H3
    Allwinner
    A83t
    Allwinner
    A20
    CPU ARM
    Cortex-A7
    ARM
    Cortex-A7
    ARM
    Cortex-A7
    ARM
    Cortex-A7
    ARM
    Cortex-A7
    ARM
    Cortex-A7
    ARM
    Cortex-A7
    Architecture ARMv7-A ARMv7-A ARMv7-A ARMv7-A ARMv7-A ARMv7-A ARMv7-A
    Speed 1000 MHz 1000 MHz 1000 MHz 1200 MHz 1200 MHz 1800 MHz 1000 MHz
    Cores 2 2 2 4 4 8 2
    RAM 1024 MB 1024 MB 1024 MB 1024 MB 1024 MB 2048 MB 1024 MB
    RAM/Core 512 MB 512 MB 512 MB 256 MB 256 MB 256 MB 512 MB
    USB 2.0 2 2 2 4 2 2 2
    LAN 10/100/1000 10/100/1000 10/100/1000 10/100/1000 10/100/1000 10/100/1000 4x 10/100/1000 LAN
    1x 10/100/1000 WAN
    WiFi No Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
    Bluetooth No No No No Yes Yes No
    SATA 1x SATA-150 1x SATA-300 1x SATA-300 No No 1x SATA-300 1x SATA-150
    eMMc No No No No 8GB 8GB No
    Despite being not as popular as the Raspberries, the Bananas do have some claim to fame.
    • The original Banana Pi -now called the M1 and with two improved variants, Pro and M1+ - was a ARMv7 dual core with 1 GB RAM, when the original Raspberry Pi B still was a ARMv6 single core with 512 MB -and the original Raspberry Pi A still was a ARMv6 single core with 256 MB.
    • The Banana Pi M2 already was a ARMv7 quad core -with higher clock speed- before the Raspberry Pi 2 arrived.
    • The Banana Pi M3 is an ARMv7 octa-core, a feat which Raspberry has not managed -yet.
    • The Banana Pi M2+ can be compared with the Raspberry Pi A+ (format-wise), but here the advantage is again with the Banana: it is a ARMv7 quad core with 1 GB RAM, while the Raspberry Pi A+ still is a ARMv6 single core with 256 MB.

Me personally, I am waiting for a Banana Pi R2, featuring all extra's (quad- or octo-core, WiFi, Bluetooth, eMMc, SATA-300).
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 07-05-2016 at 10:40 PM.

My Banana Pro has come to life!

After my Raspberry Pi 2 -the one that runs Ubuntu Mate 16.04- suffered from a corrupted SD-card -most likely from either the screensaver or the rotating background picture, disable that feature!- and crashed, I decided to try the Banana Pro with a new, better SD card fitted with the latest Bananian. Now I am trying to get BOINC installed....even when Bananian is no sucess -as it looks like now- I can now install e.g. Raspbian, or Ubuntu Mate.

Edit 1: Right now it is updating from Ubuntu Mate 15.04 to 15.10....edit: from 15.10 to 16.04
    Edit 2: That was not such a bright idea, as the kernel remains at 3.4.103 and gets out of sync with other software. Back to 15.04, and update the kernel first then.

When fitted with a bad image -any image made with the aid of the Allwinner utility PhoenixCard in my case- only a red light will shine, and you get no video. I was about to bin the board.
    A good image -so far tried Bananian (a very minimalistic Debian) and Ubuntu Mate- gives red, blue and green lights when booting, and video afterwards.

I am impressed by the BOINC benchmarks for this ARM Cortex-A7 board, up to 565 floating point MIPS (Whetstone) per CPU and 1995 integer MIPS (Dhrystone) per CPU, but it is a pity there are only two such cores. Still, it kicks the s**t out of the -single core- Raspberry Pi B+ and Beaglebone Black and even has a better performance per core than the Pi 2 quad-core (Enigma in a little more than 3 hours!).

BTW, I am less impressed with the stability of Ubuntu Mate 16.04 for Raspberry -it keeps trashing the SD card- and the WiFi connection of Ubuntu Mate 16.04 for the Banana.
    Once upgraded to 16.04 it tends to loose the WiFi connectivity.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 07-13-2016 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Kernel 3.4.103 even

What I ultimately want for my SBC boards is a set-and-forget way of operating. I want to power them up, install the OS and BOINC, point them to their projects and check on them once a month or so. This however was not possible with Ubuntu Mate on the Banana Pro, nice experience as it was to use a full desktop on an ARM development board though.

Next stop is OpenSuse -too old (13.1, won't update. Too much unneeded stuff as well),
    then it is ArchLinux, this image went wrong because the ArchLinux servers seem unreachable right now, at least from the LeMaker supplied -old- image.
    Up to Gentoo then, but no longer via a LeMaker image!

If that fails, it is back to Bananian...
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 07-13-2016 at 12:13 AM.

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    You could set up a PXE host (even in a VirtualBox) and PXE boot all oof your SBCs from the host
    https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_p...ork_boot_boot/

That way you can put together various OS/App configs in a single easy to access place and try them out on all of your SBCs very quickly.
    But since you want to set and forget, then just make them headless and install the server version without the desktop. BOINC mgr won't run, of course, but you would not need to, just run the client and RPC to it from one of your AMD workstations.
    You will learn a lot by doing this.

Fedora/REDHAT/CentOS and Debian/Ubuntu LTSP server spins already exist almost fully configured (better configured than they used to be)
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ub...SPQuickInstall

Also there is another github project called FOG which allows you to d/l & install & run, however the built-in default PXE image is likely to be 32/64 intel/AMD so you'd have to go the extra step and create an ARM image for your SBCs which is what FOG is good at, it will quite happily allow you to build a Win## (any version) image and PXE that to your devices machine.
    This is how many thin-client boxes are used in the work-place although the host configurations vary as there are many ways to serve PXE to the network.
    https://www.google.com.au/?client=ub...p+a+pxe+server

Some folk are PXEing their XBMC to SBCs & TCs around the site so they have the same GUI in all locations.

EDIT - I see I mixed my technologies again. Better trying FOG first which is PXE of images over the LAN, where-as the linux LTSP editions are full LTSP over PXE and, while they can server images over PXE, they require quite a bit more work if you want to fully leverage the capabilities and benefits of LTSP, like using a single btrfs stored linux OS to server to all of your different hardware which is very fast to the clients and a massive reduction on disk space and RAM on the host. Or you could just go the old rout which I didn't mention which is to connect the PXE boot devices to server based sessions that run on the server and not on the device (real thin-client) but thats really for better desktop experience than the TC would normally provide. Lots of possibilities.
    Last edited by AMDave; 07-12-2016 at 10:36 PM.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I was looking around on google for the possibility of building a little cluster out of those boards, and some people have done it indeed
    http://www.owncluster.de/2015/07/08/...na-pi-cluster/
    http://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/201...rry-pi-cluster

That might be complex to achieve but interesting to play with, in the end it should be fully controlled as a single node but have dozens of cores and a large stack of RAM depending on how many of them you cluster together.

But then by accident I stumbled on a site with even smaller boards... have you seen the NanoPi's?
    http://www.nanopi.org/index2.html

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast