Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Universe at Home official project launched

I just joined the party, So much available work units yet I can't down load one single one work unit. So depressed...

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Target reached on this one, I'm off to Van Der Weiden

Quote Originally Posted by Nflight View Post
    I just joined the party, So much available work units yet I can't down load one single one work unit. So depressed...
    Don't be sad! BobCat13 has reached Neptune too, and so will you.

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    Target reached on this one, I'm off to Van Der Weiden
    Van der Waerden, the 'ae' pronounced as the 2nd 'a' in Canberra...

I don't know how it happened (well, actually I do, but the story is too long), so I'm back (just a bit though, nothing like before) and crunching a couple projects for now.

I've got a spare 90Mbps network connection, so I started up Majestic12 again and gave it all of the pipe. It looks like I can hit daily user rank in the low 20's with that if I can keep the agents running.

I also refired up BOINC with cosmology and universe as my two active projects. They are running on my old gaming box (core i7-3930k 3.2GHz, 64GB RAM, with a pair of nVidia GTX 770s)

I also have 7 rack mount servers with dual AMD Opteron 16 core procs and one with quad 16 core procs that I could be convinced to fire up on occasion if some project needs a boost, but the power bill will be painful for that period, so it would have to be a good reason.

Welcome back Chris Icide!

Still our team champion with Cosmology@Home -with 14+ Million credits still out of reach for us, mere mortals- and Malaria Control -with 4.5 Million credits still the target for Meshmar, who has approached you the closest but is still at a respectable 1.5 Million credits distance.
    Universe is split in two nowadays, as the original project is now the test project and there is a new production project -though with both these projects there is no Chris Icide amongst our members with points. I did find a USA-based 'chris' in our Universe@Home team though, still without credits...

As for that 7 rack mounted servers sporting 16-core Opterons....can't you connect them to something that actually makes energy? Solar panels, wind mill, water turbine, etc.?
    A combination of those three would be even better and provide energy no matter what the weather is...It would be nice to collect all available badges with a rig like that!
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 04-20-2015 at 09:22 AM.

Welcome back Chris, good to see you attack any project! Wow 90 Mbps I am drooling and conjuring what I would do with so much bandwidth. Welcome back old friend

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    I did find a USA-based 'chris' in our Universe@Home team though, still without credits...
    Unfortunately the folks in poland won't give me any work. I added a couple other projects while I'm waiting on work. I'll fire up a server or two in the rack and see what kind of work they can do over a couple weeks.

I'm currently building a small pod in a data center for my current employer, and we are installing HP Blade chassis with 166 dual cpu (intel E5-2697v2 procs) and 74 quad cpu (intel E5-4640v2 procs), 40Gbps core network, dual 10G links from each blade, boot from SAN over Fiber Channel, and other fun stuff. Every time I look at those servers, I wonder what kind of damage I could do to a project that could give me enough work... Call it a "burn-in test". It's a duplicate of a pod I built for this same company last year. It draws ~ 150kW while actually running live traffic... Thats only about $25,000 per month in power bill....

As your interest seems to be in astronomy projects I'd suggest Universe@Home Test -they are testing something for the production project that seems halted at the moment-, good-old MilkyWay@Home -but do use it GPU-only if possible, as with the two next projects-, Einstein@Home, Albert@Home, the SkyNet POGS, Asteroids@Home, Constellation@Home.

You know we just ran over SETI.USA ! To them we are just pimples in the sand, I think we may just see some action taken by them to retake their position. And of all things I will leave this project (not completely - am going to run World Community Grid side by side) to run the competition starting May 6 through the 15th. Geez Louise such involvement and devotion, anybody else joining me on the Competition and staying on Universe to maintain our position? Here is to the best Team effort ever!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12