Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beaglebone Black

I honestly don't know -though it appears to be so, there are not that much ARM clients around! And there were even less in the past...
    BTW: The stats are not up-to-date either, when my Beaglebone is out of work I'll move to Boinc for Android, the official -and later released- client.

Which proves impossible as the official client reports 'no device' when I try to install it.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 05-12-2015 at 11:53 PM.

The Beaglebone Black doing BOINC

So smooth as the Raspberry can be brought to function in BOINC, so hard it was to hammer the bone in business.
    It started with my discovery that running BOINC on an ARMv7 architecture CPU under Linux is no piece of cake. Most projects do NOT have an application, you have to compile them yourself. This I circumvented by first installing Android 4.4.4 and then installing Native BOINC.

I made a host group in BAM! called 'ARM Cortex-A8 on Android' and when starting Native BOINC first I selected BAM! as account manager.
    This made all default applications come in. Lesson learned: do not make too many projects default within BAM! You might end up getting more than you want...

What is in the group?
    • Beaglebone Black, Rev. C, running Android 4.4.4 on a 3.18.5 kernel
    • CPU : A Texas Instruments ARMv7-A compatible processor ARM Cortex-A8, rev 2 (v7l) aka Sitara AM3358BZCZ100
    • Features : swp, half, thumb, fastmult, VFP, edsp, ThumbEE, NEON, VFPv3, tls

My Beaglebone Black works standard on 1000 MHz and has an even prettier Lego casing than my Raspberry. IMG_0428.jpgIt is the grey-black, 2nd to the left (click to enlarge).

Speed in MHz OS Floating Point MIPS (Whetstone) per CPU Integer MIPS (Dhrystone) per CPU
    Beagle Debian Wheezy
    Android 4.4.4
    Beagle Debian Jessie
    It is stronger than the Raspberry B+ on integer MIPS performance, but a little bit behind in the floating point MIPS.
    How does that translate into real-life performance?

Project Avg. running time in hours Avg. credit Green light? Orange light? Red light?
    Albert@Home
    Yes
    -
    -
    Asteroids@Home
    tbd, first WU seems lost
    tbd
    Yes
    -
    -
    Collatz@Home
    tbd
    tbd
    tbd
    tbd
    tbd
    Einstein@Home
    Yes
    -
    -
    Enigma@Home
    Yes
    -
    -
    GPUGrid
    tbd
    tbd
    tbd
    tbd
    tbd
    Moo! Wrapper
    tbd
    tbd
    tbd
    tbd
    tbd
    OProject@Home
    tbd
    tbd
    tbd
    tbd
    tbd
    PrimeGrid
    tbd
    tbd
    tbd
    tbd
    tbd
    QCN (Quake Catcher Network)
    tbd
    tbd
    Yes*
    -
    -
    Radioactive@Home
    tbd
    tbd
    -
    -
    No*
    Ralph@Home
    tbd
    tbd
    tbd
    tbd
    tbd
    Rosetta@Home
    tbd
    tbd
    tbd
    tbd
    tbd
    Seti@Home
    tbd
    tbd
    tbd
    tbd
    tbd
    Seti@Home Beta
    tbd
    tbd
    Yes
    -
    -
    The SkyNet POGS
    Yes
    -
    -
    World Community Grid
    11.6 (FAAH)
    4.2 (OET)
    -
    Yes
    -
    -
    WUProp
    Yes
    -
    -
    Yoyo@Home
    Yes
    -
    -
    ]
    Legenda
    tbd=To be determined
    *=Would need a sensor
    - =
    no data/not applicable
    Green light=
    Works out-of-the-box
    Orange light=
    Needs some fiddling
    Red light=
    Refuses to work

Soon to be updated too.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 03-17-2018 at 12:23 PM. Reason: POGS/Seti@Home Beta

Thanks for all your hard work on these showcasing the structure and ability of getting these all to work on multiple OS's & multiple projects. This must be a chore but you seem to appreciate the effort too.

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Yesterday I powered up my Beaglebone Black using an undocumented feature.
    As the number of SBCs I own is now greater than the number of ports (4) on my 1st HDMI hub I bought a 2nd -5-port- HDMI hub and devided the SBCs over the two hubs.
    As the Beaglebone Black is painfully lacking in the USB-port department, I connected a powered USB 2.0 hub to the Bone to be able to use both mouse and keyboard.
    I did so before I had connected the power. So the only ports in use were the micro HDMI (going to my monitor) and the USB host (going to the powered USB hub).
    The USB client, which I normally use for powering-up the board, was still unconnected.

To my surprise I got video -Beagle Debian- and my surprise was even bigger when the video disappeared when I applied power, only coming back when I disconnected the USB client.
    The board has more surprises, such as refusing to flash the eMMC -at least in the official way...

Though the BeagleBone Black is getting a bit long in the teeth, there are various efforts to prolong its useful life.
    Among the better efforts is the SanCloud BeagleBone Enhanced

This has
    • 1 GB RAM, as compared to the 512 MB of the BeagleBone Black, the BeagleBone Industrial (a.k.a. BeagleBone Red) or SeeedStudio's BeagleBone Green
    • 1 mini-USB 2.0 client port and 4 USB 2.0 Ports, as compared to the 1 mini-USB 2.0 client port plus one USB 2.0 host port of the original BBB/BBR and the 1 micro-USB 2.0 client port plus 1 USB 2.0 host port of the BeagleBone Green.
    • Barometer, Accelerometer, Gyro and Temperature sensors (optional)

...but still the anemic single-core 1000 MHz AM3358 ARM Cortex-A8, instead of a quad-core A15 or A17. Even a dual- or quad-core Cortex-A9 or A7 would have been better.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 03-17-2018 at 12:19 PM.

The latest BeagleBone Black now has Bluetooth and WiFi, but still that infernal ARM Cortex-A8:

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    The latest BeagleBone Black now has Bluetooth and WiFi, but still that infernal ARM Cortex-A8
    They've heard me, there in Texas:

BeagleBone-AI preliminary specifications:

SoC: TI AM5729 dual core Cortex-A15 processor featuring 4 PRUs, Dual core C66x DSP, and 4 EVEs
    System Memory: 1GB RAM
    Storage: 16GB on-board eMMC flash with high-speed interface
    Networking: Gigabit Ethernet and high-speed WiFi
    USB: 1x USB type-C for power and superspeed dual-role controller, 1x USB type-A host
    Expansion: BeagleBone Black (BBB) compatible headers
    Dimensions: 86.4 x 53.4 mm (compatible with BBB)
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 08-29-2021 at 11:16 AM.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen View Post
    Victory! 3 years later they finally did it!
    And it is more than just a dual-core Cortex-A15, it has two dual core Cortex-M4's too, plus two FPUs (C66x), and a respectable GPU.
    You may have to compile a special boinc-client, and special boinc apps too...
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 08-29-2021 at 11:15 AM.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I did a quick search on those C66x FPUs, are they talking about the Texas Instruments C66x DSPs from 2011? - http://www.ti.com/lit/ml/sprt577b/sprt577b.pdf
    If they are they seem to have some pretty interesting specs, but like you I also bet at least project apps would have to recompile their code to be able to use them.

It looks like the BeagleBone AI gets its AI from the two Dual-core ARM Cortex-M4's plus the two dual-core C66x DSPs.
    Problem is getting those extra CPUs getting recognised and to work. CPU info for the BeagleBone AI only shows the dual-core Cortex-A15:
    Code:
    $ lscpu
    Architecture:          armv7l
    Byte Order:            Little Endian
    CPU(s):                2
    On-line CPU(s) list:   0,1
    Thread(s) per core:    1
    Core(s) per socket:    2
    Socket(s):             1
    Model:                 2
    Model name:            ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l)
    CPU max MHz:           1500.0000
    CPU min MHz:           1000.0000
    BogoMIPS:              12.29
    Flags:                 half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo 
    processor		: 0
    model name		: ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l)
    BogoMIPS		: 12.29
    Features		: half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm 
    CPU implementer	: 0x41
    CPU architecture	: 7
    CPU variant		: 0x2
    CPU part		: 0xc0f
    CPU revision		: 2

processor		: 1
    model name		: ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l)
    BogoMIPS		: 12.29
    Features		: half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm 
    CPU implementer	: 0x41
    CPU architecture	: 7
    CPU variant		: 0x2
    CPU part		: 0xc0f
    CPU revision		: 2

Hardware		: Generic DRA74X (Flattened Device Tree)
    Revision		: 0000
    Serial			: 0901700a7b180b22
    ARM itself just released a new Cortex-M, the Cortex-M55, which they claim to be the most AI-capable Cortex-M processor and that delivers up to 5x DSP performance.
    Its capabilities can be enhanced by coupling it to their Ethos-U55 NPU
    -which can also be coupled to the Cortex-M33, M4 -like in the BeagleBone AI- and M7.

This might be useful for e.g. the Wildlife@Home sub-poject of Citizen Science Grid
    -provided they have the energy to wake themselves up and write a new application.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 02-14-2020 at 09:19 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast