Thread: So... who thinks there's any bit of truth in these rumors?

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin

So... who thinks there's any bit of truth in these rumors?

Well... it's not April's Fools yet, so... I don't know what to think of it. Has anyone been reading the news regarding AMD and the rumors about an acquisition by Samsung?

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/2...t-could-happen

http://www.geek.com/chips/samsung-ru...g-amd-1618913/

There's plenty more of these links out there but I think they all source out of the same 1 Korean article that spread the rumors.
    I got to say, I like Samsung, I love their SSDs and other components... but I wouldn't want them to acquire AMD.

But then again, this may be another one in a string of previous rumors over past years... I remember not too long ago there was a similar spin with a Chinese company that I can't remember the name of... and before that I think Apple once came up as well... hopefully this will also be just rumors.

It might be all to the good actually. Samsung could provide AMD with the much needed R&D budget.
    And AMD could provide Samsung with 64-bit ARM based products to aid Samsung against nVidia's Tegra.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 03-27-2015 at 08:57 AM.

i don't really like Samsung because they seem to be at the forefront of proprietary android apps... IMO making them little better than Apple's "closed" ecosystem. also, their LCD panels weren't as good as IPS panels for quite some time (that may have changed in the last 1-2 years, tho. haven't seen the panels in person, however)

HOWEVER, after having seen John Carmack's talks, the amount Samsung worked with him to get as low latency access to the oLED displays, i dislike them a lot less.