Thread: RAM requirements annoyance

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

RAM requirements annoyance

well, THIS annoys me. project wants 12.x GB ram to run. i run it on my computer i bought 16gb of ram for (specifically for the project years ago), and it's only using 400MB of ram.

don't really want to run it on the 16GB machine as i want to be able to pause BOINC on a moment's notice, and Blender doesn't seem to like being paused (or at least didn't used to). i'd rather prefer to run it on my 8GB headless shiny new Haswell Pentium machine which is in between video processing jobs ATM. that and i don't have the money for another 8GB, plus it would pretty much be a waste

When you run The Lattice Project you sometimes get the message that you can't get work because the application, GARLI, asks for more than 17 GB to run ....
    GARLI isn't always that greedy though
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 04-08-2015 at 10:17 PM.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Yea, BURP can take up the whole amount of RAM or just a few hundred megs... it depends on the job that its processing and the complexity of the specific frame that your computer is rendering. I guess BURP decides 12Gb is a safe value for all its rendering projects, instead of having to guess and tweak the amount with every single project that comes in.

I haven't run Lattice much but I'd like to see GARLI taking that much RAM, I may just fire up the project to take a look at that as my main desktop has 32Gb of RAM .

ah, NOW it's using 7.x GB :I