Thread: Collatz Conjecture News

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin

Collatz Conjecture News

False Positive: Win32/Bulta!rfn
    Microsoft recently added a check for the Win32/Bulta!rfn trojan virus to Microsoft Security Essentials. Unfortunately, the footprint they use to check for the virus matches that of the mini amd gpu app. The app is NOT infected though. They are just using too short a foot print. It is no different than trying to find this web site by searching Google but only entering "Collatz" as the search criteria. You would get a lot of links as matches but only one is the real thing. The anti-virus software searches executable applications looking for viruses but if the search string is too short, they get a false positive. Until Microsoft fixes it (if ever) you may a) ignore it (but you won't be able to run mini WUs)b) choose another app such as the solo_collatz app in your preferences insteadc) exclude the c:\program data\boinc folder from being checked.

More...

Site Admin
    So the smart solution would be to change the code of the project client app slightly & recompile it so it didn't match the footprint.
    No brainer. I don't see why they are telling us this instead of telling us there "was" a problem, but now its fixed.

Often I have to remind myself to lower my expectations, but then it really irritates me when they are then still not met.
    Maybe I'm just cynical and cranky today, but common sense tells me they wasted time making that post.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Site Admin
    FTR - I have just been told that I am a bit cranky and cynical today.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------